Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Windows 10 update destroyed DAX

Ross Biggar
Ross Biggar Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in DAX
I am using a laptop to communicate to my Flexradios from our house to the shack which is about 50m (60yards) away. The latest update has destroyed DAX totally, there is no signs of any DAX audio.
What is the best way to recover SDR, should I unstal it and then reinstal or what ?
Advice please
Thanks
Ross ZL1WN

Answers

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    perhaps download this utility From Flex, It is a file manager for correcting Dax and Cat problems.
    https://www.flexradio.com/downloads/smartsdr-settings-file-manager/
  • Ross Biggar
    Ross Biggar Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Thanks I saw that, I have tried it and unfortunately it did not work.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Then after you get all your settings back, use the utility to save your settings, then just restore them back if you need them.
  • John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Hello Ross, I'm curious as to what version of SmartSDR you are running? And do you know what version of the OS installed itself that then damaged DAX? Thank you.
  • Ross Biggar
    Ross Biggar Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    John  the laptop is running "Windows 10 Home, version 1903, OS 18362.175"
    The SSDR is 3.1.8  (my 3 Flexradios are all running 3.1.8).
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited April 2020
    Ross
    If you would like help via TeamViewer to fix the issue contact me at wo2x AT arrl DOT net

Dave wo2x

• Arvind Mallya
    Arvind Mallya Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I dread the updates it wiped mine completely off and I had to go back in a redo all the connections. Fortunately I just have FT8 and a Pactor and Winmor programs to fix. I also have a two older Flex 5000As and use ComOCom and VAC never had a problem once it was setup.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Flex and Microsoft worked to solve the Dax driver problems regarding Windows updates. I am surprised to read the problem Ross had, Nice for Dave to help him out.
    It would be interesting if we hear of hundreds soon having this update problem, or is this one just a rare case? I hope so, because I will take Dax over what we have to do in PSDR.
  • Delbert McCord
    Delbert McCord Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Windoz 10 is a pain!
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited April 2020
    I replied direct to Ross with some steps to try.

Dave wo2x
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited April 2020
    Actually I like Windoze 10 MUCH better than Windoze 8.

yes, Microsoft breaks things with updates but it keeps my grey cells working.

Dave wo2x
  • Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Version 1903 is old stuff. It's all 1909 now, and we're almost to an April or may update next. They've stopped doing updates for 1903.... so no wonder theres still an issue hanging around.
  • Delbert McCord
    Delbert McCord Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I have a laptop with Windws 8 on it, do not use it much its just for when I travel and need to call into our network at work and communicate with the cast registers. Funny I have never had any problems with it but I am sure I turned off the updates years ago.
  • Ross Biggar
    Ross Biggar Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    David, thanks for your advice, it all seems to be working now.
    And to all who commented a thank you as well. Now I can sit in the house and operate without having to go to the shack in the dark or rain.
    stay safe
    Ross
    ZL1WN
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited April 2020
    Glad it worked out. Did you have any ghosted audio devices in Device Manager? Dave wo2x
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    If the last version of SSDR that you have installed is not 1.12.1, 2.6.1 or 3.1.8, you should upgrade.
    These versions have new DAX drivers which have resolved most Windows update issues with DAX.

The most recent DAX drivers are v 3.1.0.5

AL, K0VM

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.