Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Windows 10 update be warned

Kev Mallin
Kev Mallin Member
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Came to play radio today and my PC that was already running on 10, decided to reboot while I was not in the shack, looks like a windows 10 forced update, When I logged back on it was apparent that it was a major update as none of my third party programs would talk to my 6300. Had to do an uninstall and reinstall to get things going again. So watch out you flexers, if you are on Windows 10 be prepared to do a full reinstall.
Not got any time to play radio now :-(

Comments

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Kev

It might be too late for you, but others may want to give this a try.  I caught mine in time.  

http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove.html

ALL ABOUT GWX CONFIGMANAGER

Techies have being expecting up-to-date news about the Windows 10 launch. With the inception of Windows 8, the operating system received a whole new outlook. Microsoft’s intention of making everything simple and colorful became clearer. Currently, Windows 10 adds more value to this thought. The new update is superficially straightforward. Microsoft is taking necessary steps to improve it’s operating system periodically. It is capable of sufficing the needs & wants stressed out by potential enterprise users and consumers. Though both users would be using the same OS, there are unique update policies and techniques. The old ways of updating are put out of the league.

mike va3mw

• Richard Fusinhski
    edited December 2015
    Yep, I had the same issue here.
    I just reverted back to the last good windows update and all was good again, no need to reinstall anything.
  • Rick
    Rick Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Exactly why I'm not abandoning Windows 7 until I absolutely have to. 73, Rick, W2JAZ
  • Bill Roberts
    Bill Roberts Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Just ran into a similar thing.  SSDR 1.5.1 ran fine.  So did the little classic S-meter from Wood Box Radio.  HRD 5.24.38 (free) would not.  Had to do a complete uninstall (using Revo Uninstaller) then reinstalled.  All is again fine.

Just curious, has anyone been running into problems with Microsoft Edge, the new browser.  Mine has been bogging down/crashing.  I temporarily owned an HP laptop (17 inch i5-based) on which Edge would not communicate with the network, wired or wireless.  Got rid of that!  Wondering what's going on.

• KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    For those that are not using Windows 10, do not wish to upgrade to Windows 10, but are getting those annoying Windows 10 upgrade notifications (and the Windows 10 upgrade icon), there are several video's on youtube showing to eliminate these Windows 10 notifications.
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    The GWX app handles that pretty well. Windows 10 is fine, so don't be too worried about it.
  • SteveJ
    SteveJ Member
    edited February 2018
    Whatever you do don't install Windows 10 yet.  There are still issues with it.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Too bad this tremendous radio is using software based upon such a poor Operating system.

If it is any consolation, Windows 10 updates are bollixing more than just us.
  • Bill Roberts
    Bill Roberts Member ✭✭
    edited December 2015
    I agree.  Windows 10 seems to run faster, has some nice features and seems just more integrated.  This has been the first and only issue I've had.  I've moved 6+ computers to Windows 10.
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    All software has bugs. :) No matter what you have, it will have issues. I'm sure you still have issues with the version you are using, you've just worked your way around them. Many 73
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    I think you are thinking about it the wrong way. Flex went with where most of the users went, that way they could sell more radios. After all, the only reason Flex is in the business they are in is to make money (well, sort of). We all knew that Beta was a much better VCR than VHS, it is just that the VHS guys had a better marketing plan.
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Win-10 go for it!  I and others are running it w/o problems.  The driver updating is the Achilles heel but uninstalling / reinstalling DaX / CaT (as posted numerous times here) shows it can be done. I would, of course hesitate to put Win-10 on a PC that my livelihood depended on it. 
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I, actually had that conversation with Steve, at length. People who write code in anything is generally because that's what they know. It's is incredibly doable to write software in such a way it will run pretty much anywhere. That's not what FRS did. That decision has already been debated, this is the wrong time and wrong forum to resurrect that debate... at least from my perspective, as I've already solved the problem.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Actully Michael - My way of thinking is that not only one operating system should be supported. That is like only making vanilla Ice cream because it is the most popular, and not making Chocolate because less people eat it, when a lot of money can be made selling both types.

Writing for OSX or Linux is not like some secret ritual that only a few people know about.

I prefer the look and feel of SmarSDR. But after DogPark is more mature, I will probably reluctantly move to it. I'll also pay for the convenience and greater reliability of a now more stable platform.
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Exactly my thoughts about Win 10.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Me Too. Likely will keep W7 on all my existing 9 computers in the house except for experimental one until I absolutely have to when MS drops support in 2020.. Life is too short to waste my time debugging MS issues.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Microsoft has more than there fair share of them. This was especially true under Gates and Balmer. The new CEO has publicly stated he is going to be changing that. But battleships don't turn on a dime.
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Life is not short think when you were in Kindergarten, that was a long, long time ago.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    @Burt

You look backwards at years I can't get back and I look forward to years i hope I have...
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016

The past is the best predictor of the future.

Maybe you meant life is now going to be short because the end is coming?

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    It's too late to look at now, but keep an eye out for next.
    Next matters!

73, Jay - NO5J
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    @Burt
    Maybe for you the Past is the best predictor of your future but for me it usually has little to do with predicting what I will be doing next - which is very likely something I have not done before....

Bottom Line... so many things yet to do on my bucket list and too small a bucket of time.. to be wasting it debugging Windows 10 related issues..
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016

Auto-updating upset HRD here as well, nothing rerunning the HRD installer wouldn't fix though.  Narrowed it down to a specific module (I think) but really didn't matter as I don't have the module's code.

Steve

K9ZW

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Bill, I've forgotten the exact term Peter used to describe Edge, but it wasn't flattery.
  • Bill Roberts
    Bill Roberts Member ✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Well, in this case, I think the problem was drivers on the HP.  To not be able to run a very major Microsoft product is a serious problem.  To top it off, HP told me that to resolve the MS Edge problem, I'd have to buy a $350, 90 day software support contract...  on a new computer.  Not all HP products are lemons but the one I got sure seemed to be.  One guy's opinion...
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I would defer to Peter on this one. I think his comment was something to the effect of 'if being generous its beta code' Isn't it supposed to be a replacement to IE? I just use Firefox. I've never liked IE and Edge makes IE look good.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.