Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Windows 10 Release thread for problems, bugs and solutions with Flex software and associated program

DH2ID
DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
edited February 2019 in New Ideas
Hi everybody,

as Windows 10 Release becomes available, I would like to suggest that we create a
Windows 10 thread here, where all problems, bugs and solutions can be collected
concerning SmartSDR, SmarSDR CAT and DAX compatibility, but also problems
with software and drivers used with SmartSDR.

Problems with PowerSDR and it's firewire driver should also be included.

73, Alex DH2ID
0 votes

Declined · Last Updated

Comments

• G8ZPX
    G8ZPX Member
    edited July 2018
    I agree with this too. Not expecting too many issues but still good to have our observations and resolutions all kept in one place.
  • N3NER
    N3NER Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Working in the IT field for over 30 years, I would suggest you make a backup of your system first prior to going to Windows 10.  I myself, I'm going to wait till Flex certifies SmartSDR with Win 10 first. 
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Yes there is no rush, Win 7 will be just fine for some time still.
  • Bob Hinkle
    Bob Hinkle Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    PowerSDR is running fine on Windows 10 here this morning (Flex-3000) Very easy setup, actually no setup needed other than to click OK a few times. Full import of all programs and files (yes I backed up first anyway). If you have Win7, 8.0 or 8.1 it's free.  de KK8ZZ
  • SteveJ
    SteveJ Member
    edited February 2017
    It is well advised to wait a while before upgrading to Windows 10.  Microsoft products are known to have issues at launch.
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Ok, Tim, I understand the reasons for your comment.
    Maybe there will be a Flex tutorial on Windows 10 when we have
    squashed all the bugs :-)
    73, Alex DH2ID
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    I know of nothing really different about Win10 that is OS specific with SmartSDR at this time.  I have been running it on the Technical Previews for some time now without any problems except after the updates where the drivers stop working.  Hopefully that will be all we experience (fingers crossed).
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Had updated couple of days ago on the final release of Win10 what registered for me right now like FOC
    no visible issues in any appl. for the moment
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Likewise. Working fine. No observed issues with SSDR.
  • rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Had some odd issues with ssdr after upgrading to Win10 (dax errors, and page faults with portctl.sys).  Uninstalled/reinstalled and a few reboots, and the problems seemed to clear up.

Now I gotta get Cortana to figure out which microphone to use, i think it's trying to use one of the dax audio devices. 
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    How do you wind up getting Windows 10?
  • rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I got it here:  http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

When I ran the app, it gave me the option of creating a .ISO file, or to just upgrade my computer to Windows 10.  I chose the upgrade option.  It was somewhat painless, but I did need to uninstall my Cisco VPN client, and also Symantec anti-virus which it told me was incompatible with Windows 10 (until symantec updates it).

Someone I work with had to revert back to 8.1 temporarily to resolve a network issue (vpn conflict). The downgrade only took about 10 minutes. Sounds like it keeps the old version of windows for about a month before deleting it to free up space.  This is 2nd hand knowledge though, I haven't confirmed that info anywhere.
  • Joe - KB6IGK
    Joe - KB6IGK Member
    edited July 2017
    Just completed Win10 install. Everything good on 6300 with initial installation except for DAX driver.
  • Simon Lewis
    Simon Lewis Member ✭✭
    edited July 2015
    there is a a windows.old version kept on the disk
  • Simon Lewis
    Simon Lewis Member ✭✭
    edited July 2015
    had the same DAX problem ... is there a workaround on this other than unloading and reloading - was a clean install for SSDR
  • Gary F
    Gary F Member ✭✭
    edited July 2015
    I also had DAX problems with HRD, FLDIGI and WSJTX. I reverted back to 8.1.  All is fine now.

• Joe - KB6IGK
    Joe - KB6IGK Member
    edited July 2015
    My choice: because I use fldigi, I decided to revert back until Flex has a new DAX driver for Win10. You've got a month to revert back after you install Win10. Here is the how-to: http://www.howtogeek.com/220723/how-to-uninstall-windows-10-and-downgrade-to-windows-7-or-8.1/ 
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Joe - we are not planning a new DAX driver for Windows 10.  The current one is working fine.  The problem is how Windows 10 handles the upgrade from a previous operating systems.  This is nothing new with Windows operating systems.

If you are having issues. I strongly recommend that you consider using the procedure I posted yesdterda that describes how to completely uninstall the SmartSDR ecosystem of software before you upgrade and then re-install afterwards.  The same goes for any other applications you had difficulty with. 
    https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/204975589-How-to-do-a-Complete-uninstall-of-SmartSD...
  • Joel Weder
    Joel Weder Member
    edited March 2017
    I got crazy and let Windows 10 install this morning. (Had recently done a backup so no worries there) Only issue found so far is that my FlexControl is dead. (PowerSDR and other software are running perfectly) I could see it in Device Manager but it would not respond. Uninstalled it from Device Manager, disconnected it, waited a minute, reconnected. got a nice window telling me the driver was being installed, and then it reappeared in Device Manager as a serial port device. No improvement though...

Playing with this again after getting home tonight. FlexControl was assigned to Com3. Still not working even though Device Manager shows it as "working properly" and the three LED's all turned on when I booted up the computer.

Just for the heck of it I tried changing the Com port used by the FlexControl from 3 to 5. Still no life however. Port settings are 9600 8N1 No Handshaking. In the FlexControl window in PowerSDR the Auto Detect box IS checked.

Last thing to try was to uninstall everything and start over. So I uninstalled PowerSDR, uninstalled the FlexControl driver, disconnected the FlexControl, rebooted, re-installed PowerSDR and verified it works, shut it down then re-connected the FlexControl. Its driver re-installed "apparently" normally, but STILL PowerSDR will not do anything when I spin the wheel or push a button.

Any ideas?

Joel, VE6EI
  • Terry T
    Terry T Member
    edited July 2015
    I have tried this several times and still no DAX, everything else seems fine.

• Joe - KB6IGK
    Joe - KB6IGK Member
    edited July 2015
    After hours of fun with the uninstall-Win10, clean install-SSDR process Tim outlined, I got it all to work, DAX included, after restoring the SmartCAT Available Flex Virtual Ports entry. Fldigi is up and running. Win10 is in, and all is good again. :)
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    If you are having issues. I strongly recommend that you consider using the procedure I posted previously that describes how to completely uninstall the SmartSDR ecosystem of software before you upgrade and then re-install afterwards.  The same goes for any other applications you had difficulty with. https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/204975589-How-to-do-a-Complete-uninstall-of-SmartSD....
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited March 2017
    I am closing this post because the recommendation to start a new topic for issues rather using than single post for multiple problems was not taken.  

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.