Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Windows 10 did an update to 1703 last night and now SMARTCAT wont load up

Brian Bedoe WD9HSY
Brian Bedoe WD9HSY Member ✭✭
edited February 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
..... Any ideas?  I unistalled and reloaded 1.10.16 and still nothing.... Radio works fine but no CAT!  73 Brian  

Answers

• MarkN7MHB
    MarkN7MHB Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    when you uninstalled did you make sure you got CAT also.  I think they uninstall separately.

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Every night when I go to bed, I pray that some day Flex will come up with an uninstall program before a reinstall. I wonder how many man hours that would save us users having to perform the "nuclear option" when Windows does its daily update?
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Unistall everything then einstall everything. 
  • Greg N8GD
    Greg N8GD Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Try the following:

https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/205665325-How-to-Repair-the-FlexVSP-Virtual-Serial-...

Whenever WIndows Update messes with your SmartSDR CAT, it is not necessary to uninstall and re-install SmartSDR.  In fact, that may not really solve the problem if SmartSDR CAT isn't selected to be uninstalled/re-installed when redoing SmartSDR as Mark mentioned.  The simple repair and reboot of your PC should resolve problems after Windows Update without resorting to Jim's "nuclear option!"

• Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    What I call Flexrefresh. There are three facts of life.

Death.

Taxes.

Windows ten will hose many of your programs.

---------

This radio is the best darn thing going.

But how can I recommend it to people when Windows ten knocks it out? When one day, they  are all prepped and ready to go for a contest, od some Rare Expedition, and the next morning. Nothing, It is happening to a lot more people than Just Flex radio users. It's gone beyond audio and serial issues to people getting video cards hosed.

And the people who tell us that they've never ever had a problem? All I have to say is "yet".

I do think FlexRadio Systems needs to own this problem - Microsoft certainly won't.  It is Microsoft's fault, but there has to be a workaround, and if needs to be better than this nuclear option.

• Brian Bedoe WD9HSY
    Brian Bedoe WD9HSY Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    I killed it! I killed it all!  But to no avail .... Still not working on the Laptop (been running fine on the laptop since I got the 6300 back in Feb.... The other 2 machines still work fine.

On the Laptop, Smartcat doesn't even load, it spins the little wheel of loading and just stops. 

• Andy M5ZAP
    Andy M5ZAP Member
    edited February 2020

Just be careful of the flex  uninstall anti logic with reference to Dax & Cat

The uninstall program asks if you want to leave Cat and Dax installed. Normal logic is asking if you want to uninstall them so if you don't read the message and click "Yes" thinking you are uninstalling them, they remain on your system. The correct answer is "No" :)

This is against normal windows convention when uninstalling programs.

• G8ZPX
    G8ZPX Member
    edited January 2020

Simple answer long term (once I found out what caused the problem) :-

disable DAX and CAT from being allowed to auto start, then create a bat file/script that terminates and unloads both from ram before doing an shut down (3 lines of code required).  Never failed me yet and I have taken every update of W10 even the pre-release stuff.

• Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Maybe, maybe not. I went over a year without an update issue. Then had a fair number since then. If this was just a DAX or VSP issue and only this, it might be spot on. But the numbers of compueters I've seen where an update wreaks havoc on the software isn't limited to SSDR and it's associated programs. 

On my Windows 7 system, It's been clear sailing with SSDR updates beng the only reason to install anything. Autostarts FB, Shut down when I shut the computer down,  just a pleasure to use.

My wife tells me that I suddenly get smarter when I use Windows 7. 8^)

She emphasizes that I get smarter, not that I get actually smart tho'.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited August 2017
    If you use SmartLink to access your radio running on a Win7 laptop from a Holiday Inn Express, that should get you a few more "smarter" points :-)
  • Jim  KJ7S
    Jim KJ7S Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    My experience with the 1703 update was a flawless transition. When I connected to my friend's radio through the "normal" internet channels, all went without a hitch

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.