Win 10 Upgrade 1909

• Praise
  • Updated 1 month ago
Using v3.1.8 and upgraded to Win 10 1909 without any DAX naming issues.  The upgrade seemed pretty light, so not sure if there was anything in the upgrade that would have caused the problem.   In any event, thanks Flex team for resolving this one!

Chuck, W9WLX
Photo of W9WLX-Chuck

W9WLX-Chuck

• 79 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Santiago Mejia - HI8SMX

Santiago Mejia - HI8SMX

• 121 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
One can conclude that if Win 10 is used version 3 is better recommended?

Santiago
Photo of John - WA7UAR

John - WA7UAR

• 188 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
Yes. For me, since upgrading to version 3.1.7, I have not had any Win 10 DAX renaming issues. 
(Edited)

Santiago Mejia - HI8SMX

• 121 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
That is something I must consider then, because I’m upgrading to a new shack PC with Windows 10.
Photo of Rick Hadley - W0FG

Rick Hadley - W0FG

• 612 Posts
  • 137 Reply Likes
I did the 1909 feature upgrade on both computers this morning and all went well.  I've seen no DAX problems since 3.1.x was released.

Santiago Mejia - HI8SMX

• 121 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Finally made the move to version 3.1.x to go with my new shack PC. Fingers crossed for Windows 10 updates from now on.
Photo of Ernest - W4EG

Ernest - W4EG

• 628 Posts
  • 123 Reply Likes
Installed Win10 v1909 and running SmartSDR v2.6.1 and DAX & CAT and other related software; (FT-8) are operating normal. 
NO ISSUES ENCOUNTERED ON THIS WIN 10 SOFTWARE INSTALLATION!
(Edited)
Photo of WA2SQQ

WA2SQQ

• 517 Posts
  • 129 Reply Likes
I'm using the latest 2.x version. On Saturday I sat through the "October" Win update. While holding my breath, I restarted and all seemed OK. I did experience two minor issues.  DAX no longer starts automatically. Once I manually activate it, all works just fine. On my dual monitor setup, the two monitors got reversed, and all the program icons moved to the primary monitor. Simple fix moving them. I don't regard either as being caused by Flex software.
Photo of W9WLX-Chuck

W9WLX-Chuck

• 79 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
You can set DAX and CAT to auto launch with SSDR.  On the DAX and CAT control panels, check the On Startup, Auto Connect Last Radio. uto 
(Edited)
Photo of WA2SQQ

WA2SQQ

• 517 Posts
  • 129 Reply Likes
Yes, already done. 
Photo of Logan, KE7AZ

Logan, KE7AZ

• 57 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
I "downgraded" from Win 7 to Win 10.  Lots of problems from a formerly stable, reliable system.  The 1909 upgrade had downloaded but not installed.  When I opened SmartSDR, I got a portcls.sys BSOD.  A couple of reboots and 1909 installed.  When I opened SmartSDR, all of my CAT entries were gone and I had the default set!  The virtual ports are still listed in the Device Manager.  So the adventure begins as I try to restore my setup....  A knob radio looks better every day that my $1500 deposit sits in Watsonville waiting for the new year.f
Photo of Logan, KE7AZ

Logan, KE7AZ

• 57 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
I tried that but it didn't work.  I put in a Help Desk ticket and Tim pointed me to a file that I needed to delete.  That fixed the problem.
Photo of W9WLX-Chuck

W9WLX-Chuck

• 79 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Yep, deleting CAT.setting is part of the procedure.  Pleased to hear you're back up!
Photo of WA2SQQ

WA2SQQ

• 517 Posts
  • 129 Reply Likes
I might be wrong, but wasn't the latest updates supposed to fix problems associated with Windows updates? I am not going to brag, but so far I have not had any of these issues. The only thing that I might be able to attribute this to is that I always shut down all Flex and Flex associated software before allowing any updates. The repair process is not that difficult and enjoying my Flexradio is well worth the occasional PIA.
Photo of W9WLX-Chuck

W9WLX-Chuck

• 79 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
I also take it one step further and have a short .bat file that I run which does a 'taskkill' on each task Smart SDR may be running--just to make sure there are no remnants left running.
Photo of Logan, KE7AZ

Logan, KE7AZ

• 57 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
I usually uninstall SmartSDR before an update.  Unfortunately, unknown to me, the 1909 update was lurking in the background waiting for a reboot.  When I started SmartSDR to check a frequency, I got the PORTCLS.SYS BSDOD and it shut down SmartSDR, forced a reboot and "we are off to the races."  Got it straightened out with a Help Desk ticket, this morning.
Photo of Bob Gerzoff, WK2Y

Bob Gerzoff, WK2Y

• 231 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
I went from 1809 to 1909 with no issues, Windows wise,  DAX or otherwise.  It did take a while and I had to restrain myself and just let it do it's thing.  

Santiago Mejia - HI8SMX

• 121 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Just did the 1909 myself a few minutes ago. While it wasn ́t a confortable wait at the end I had no issues. So far, that is.
Photo of k3Tim

k3Tim

• 948 Posts
  • 199 Reply Likes
Same story here, two PC's updated with latest 1909 and no issues.