Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

WIN-10 drivers and v3.0 SDR

KC9EI - Dave
KC9EI - Dave Member ✭✭
Has anyone installed SDR v3 on a WIN-10 computer yet? Has the previous driver issue been remedied yet?

Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2019
    SSDR v3 runs fine on W10.  Most of the Alpha Team are running W10.

Mike 
  • John Andrew Gehring
    edited April 2019
    I have used 2.4.9 and now v3 on windows 10, no specific issues to report.
  • KC9EI - Dave
    KC9EI - Dave Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I "just" finished converting a WIN10 computer to WIN7 for another FLEX user because of driver issues. This was the third system. I'm hoping that issue is far behind us now and it sounds like it may be. :)

• KENT HUFFORD
    KENT HUFFORD Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I had the previous version, 2.4.9 running on a i7 Windows 10 PC and a i7 Windows 10 Laptop fine. I upgraded to v 3 and works fine. No driver issues.
  • Ed - W2RF
    Ed - W2RF Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    If you are asking about the DAX IQ driver problem, that has not been addressed in V3 so far. Installing Windows 10 updates still corrupts the DAX IQ driver installation, which requires manual correction of device names and sample speed, along with creating ghost drivers that need to be removed. Now that V3 has shipped, I am hoping that fixing the DAX IQ problem will be a priority with Flex.

73 Ed W2RF
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Hi Dave-
    Had to stick with W7 on my Asus Z97-A motherboard b/c DAX would not run reliably on W10. However, both my Surface Pro 3 & 5 run DAX on W10 just fine. Seems to be a HW issue. Loaded an updated BIOS file to the ASUS mb to no avail.
  • Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    It needs to be restated:

This is NOT something that Flex can fix. 

MICROSOFT
    is screwing over ANY audio device  driver from any manufacturer. I have an audio editing suite running Win10 that gets hosed on most major updates.

• k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I have SDR 3.0 running fine on a Win 10 version 1809. The SSDR v3.0.19 Release Notes on page 6 (six) state:

"Ensure your Windows operating system is up to date before installing SmartSDR."

An update to 1809 was issued 04/04 which caused a DAX problem,m specifically "friendly" device names being mangled. Uninstalling DAX (only) per instructions, reboot and install only the IQ DaX, reboot, one could easily determine the corruption and correct. This took 10 minutes including an 8 minute coffee break. The remaining DAX components (Mix / TX / RX) installed w/o issue.
    -
    --- 100% agree with Bob's post. 

k3Tim
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited April 2019
    And to add to this... For those running the older Flex 5000 and using VAC the Windows 10 upgrade breaks VAC also. So not just a DAX issue.

Dave wo2x
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited April 2019
    A good rule of thumb is to uninstall SmartSDR including DAX drivers before doing any major Windows update, then after reboot reinstall SmartSDR.

Settings are stored in the radio, not the software.

Dave wo2x

• Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited April 2019
    Similar good advice is to leave the DAX devices installed if you are just uninstalling old SmartSDR versions to install a newer one.  It just saves you potential headaches.
  • Ed - W2RF
    Ed - W2RF Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Sorry Bob, this is just not accurate. Flex is currently in dialog with Microsoft about how to fix the problem.
  • Ed - W2RF
    Ed - W2RF Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I did the original PowerSDR implementation of VAC. As I recall it was dependent on ASIO4ALL, and also as far as I know ASIO4ALL is not broken in Windows 10. Please give me more specifics on this and I will test. I still have an operational 5000.

Thanks,
    Ed
  • Ed - W2RF
    Ed - W2RF Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Microsoft made some changes in win10 driver support that were supposed to preserve configurations over updates. However for certain devices, namely Flex DAX IQ, their changes didn't help. They caused problems.

The Flex drivers now need to be brought into compliance with the new Windows driver standards. Once that is done, the problem will go away.

I hope, and am in fact pretty sure, that Flex is currently working on this.

73 Ed W2RF
  • Lucas - W6AER
    Lucas - W6AER Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I am running the latest build of Windows 10 and v3 no driver issues what-so-ever. In fact, I even have a signalink, in addition, to use with my VHF/UHF/Sat setup and no problems even then. I do understand however that some who are using virtual audio cables have had issues, but this is likely more of a 3rd party thing. But can't comment more as it is 2nd hand info.
  • Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Sorry we disagree.
  • Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    No problems here with W10 and SSDR 3.0.
  • Roger_W6VZV
    Roger_W6VZV Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Same here.  Easy install and everything working fine.
    de Roger W6VZV

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.