Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

will the usb ports on the 6000 series support a usb speaker for power?

Reggie-k6xr
Reggie-k6xr Member ✭✭
edited April 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I have a pair of computer speakers that plug into the audio out and into the usb port for power. can I use them on my 6500>

Answers

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    There is power there, but no USB "device" functionality.
  • Reggie-k6xr
    Reggie-k6xr Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    That is all I need! thanks!
  • Greg - K5GJ
    Greg - K5GJ Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    The resounding answer is... probably. We've already seen one case where the power supply isolation in the powered speaker set was not great and any sort of modulation on the radio's power supply during transmit would come riding through onto the speakers. I know this is not the best answer but: "Try it!" is my best suggestion. 73, Greg
  • Reggie-k6xr
    Reggie-k6xr Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I'll plug them in and give it a go! thanks!
  • Reggie-k6xr
    Reggie-k6xr Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Connected a pair of USB speakers to Flex usb port and audio out and it works !
  • ai6re
    ai6re Member ✭✭
    edited December 2014
    I have been using a USB powered speaker system for 3 weeks and it works very well but the speakers will cut out if to much power is used at high volumn. Nice because when you shut off the radio the speaker power is shut off.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    As per the SmartSDR Release Notes, we do not recommend plugging anything into the USB connectors on the radio. it may work, but if you experience strange behavior, please un-plug all USB devices from the radio.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.