Will this work for Auto Band changing for Ameritron ALS-1306 to A Flex 6300?

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • Answered
Hello, I want to be sure that I understand if this will work. I need to buy the cable to connect a Kenwood radio to the Ameritron ALS-1306. Then I also need to buy the Startech-ICUSB232FTN cable.
Then to make it all work, 1- load the new Smart SDR into the radio, 2-connect the two cables together. 3- Connect the USB end of the cables to the Flex 6300 radio, Connect the Ameritron cable to the ALS-1306, and that is it. Will the amplifier follow the radio from band to band with this setup?
Thanks for your help.
Rick
Photo of Richard Kemp

Richard Kemp

• 14 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of David Livingston

David Livingston

• 119 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
Yes - My 6700 does it perfectly in all slices. I would expect the 6300 to do the same. I would buy the Kenwood cable from Ameritron. I did.
Photo of David Livingston

David Livingston

• 119 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
Email me your phone number at k4cae@att.net if you have any additional questions.
Photo of WX7Y

WX7Y

• 519 Posts
  • 94 Reply Likes
You don't need the Kenwood cable if you can put a DB-9 connector on the end of a cable!

You can do this two ways, one way is with FTDI DCB cable and second the FTDI Serial cable, works great either way you go WITH-OUT the Keywood cable. 

Contact me direct " wx7y at arrl.net " if you want to build it yourself by installing the cable end connectors. 

73's
Bret
WX7Y
Photo of Don Babcock

Don Babcock

• 6 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Bret - I have the "serial-to-USB" cable I got from Flex for my 6500. The DB9 connector is MALE - as is the connector on my ALS-1306. It seems like I could get a "female-to-female" adapter and it would be the same as your explanation above. Am reading this right? Thanks in advance!
Photo of WX7Y

WX7Y

• 519 Posts
  • 94 Reply Likes
I think you will need a Null Modem adapter instead of just a female-to-female adapter. 
I have moved on since I ran the 1306 so it has been a while since I did the cable so not real fresh in my head.

73's
Bret
(Edited)
Photo of Don Babcock

Don Babcock

• 6 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thanks Bret!