Will the Flex 6500 Support a 4K Display?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
Just viewed a You Tube of the Flex Hamvention booth, and the new 6600M was outboard with a 4K LG large display (might have been 43-inches?). Will my 6500 support 4K resolution? Is that something that the 2.0 update will address?
Photo of David Ahrendts

David Ahrendts

• 90 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of George Molnar, KF2T

George Molnar, KF2T, Elmer

• 1668 Posts
  • 613 Reply Likes
No - only the 6400M and 6600M support an external display. It's a hardware matter, since the non-Maestro units don't have a video card or processor.
Photo of Mark Erbaugh

Mark Erbaugh

• 510 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
The 6500 does not have a video output. The video comes from the computer, so the output depends on the video card. The Maestro does not have a video output. Also, while Gerald mentioned that it was a 4K TV, he also said that they were driving at at 1920 by 1080 which is normal HD resolution, not 4K
Photo of Gerald - K5SDR

Gerald - K5SDR, Employee

• 830 Posts
  • 1514 Reply Likes
1920 x 1280 is WUXGA from the 6400M and 6600M models.
Photo of David Ahrendts

David Ahrendts

• 90 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Yes, yes! I wasn't thinking -- the video originates with the computer, not the Flex. Very happy with 1080p, but then again, we're about to live in a 4K world, and NHK in Japan is doing regular broadcasts of 8K. It is beautiful.
Photo of David

David

• 304 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
If you have PC with graphics and a 4K monitor you can run SSDR at 4K or 8K if you have that setup. Of course the higher you go the larger the monitor you will want or have really good eyes. The radio doesn't matter with the original 6000 series.
Photo of Mack McCormick

Mack McCormick, Elmer

• 477 Posts
  • 167 Reply Likes
I'm using two 4K displays with SmartSDR. No issues as long as your graphics card supports 4K.

Mack
Photo of David Ahrendts

David Ahrendts

• 90 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Mack, love to see a photo of your set up. What model 4Ks??
Photo of Takeshi Yamada

Takeshi Yamada

• 173 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
It is up to your PC environment and a good point of 6300/6500/6700.
I am running SmartSDR on i7-6700@3.4Ghz/Nvidia GeForce GTX960 with dual monitor using EIZO (2560x1440) and Asus (3820x2160) for two years without any problem.
(Edited)
Photo of David Ahrendts

David Ahrendts

• 90 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
So fine people, do we read the announcement of the new Flex devices as accommodating a fully Mac environment? That 2.0 will come Apple flavored also?
Photo of David

David

• 304 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
Honestly, I would like Linux support. I have only one Windows system the rest are Linux.
Photo of Mack McCormick

Mack McCormick, Elmer

• 475 Posts
  • 167 Reply Likes
It would need to be written by a third party developer just like the iOS . Do you know anyone who owns a Flex?

Mack
Photo of David

David

• 304 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
I realize Flex is not interested in do a Linux or better yet a non OS dependent version. Microsoft supports .NET on Linux which could help though I think Flex would still need to provide the .NET API files. I am not developer at this level. Walt was working on a Linux version and not sure where he stands on continuing that work.
Photo of Mack McCormick

Mack McCormick, Elmer

• 477 Posts
  • 167 Reply Likes
Apple support is provided, as always, by a third part developer.

Mack
Photo of John - WA7UAR

John - WA7UAR

• 155 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
And that fine product is: DogparkSDR :-)
https://www.dogparksoftware.com/dogparkSDR.html
(Edited)
Photo of Gerald - K5SDR

Gerald - K5SDR, Employee

• 830 Posts
  • 1514 Reply Likes
Dave told me in Dayton he plans to support SmartLink in DogparkSDR.