Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Will SSDR be able to display on the PC along with Maestro simultaneously or is M models the only ave

Clay N9IO
Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Gerald and/or Tim.
I would really appreciate some info to help me make a better informed decision of which of the new radios to order. I ordered a 6400 but am now considering I may need to rethink this.  I am now leaning toward the 6600, I have a Maestro already.  But now in the comparison list page I see the M models are the only rigs with HDMI port on the back. 

My question is:
Will SSDR eventually be able to display on the PC along with Maestro simultaneously or are M models the only avenue?

I would much prefer the 6600 behind my monitors with the Maestro as opposed to a 6400M.
Thanks,
Clay N9IO

Answers

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    2.0 will not support multi client at the release but they said it is on the list of to-do's. No timeframe mentioned for it..
  • Mike Presnell
    Mike Presnell Member
    edited May 2017
    David,  I believe they mentioned at the dinner on Thursday night that we could expect multi-client around December.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited May 2017
    Thanks. I wasn't at the dinner.
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Thank you Mike and David. 

Mike that is what I was looking for like David I did not make Hamvention this year either.
    I appreciate your report from the banquet.
    Very VERY happy to hear that multi-client is still on the agenda.

The way I operate I have everything in one traditional room (shack).
    I love the touch features of Maestro BUT my getting old eyes like multiple 25 inch monitors with SSDR in my face on one of them,  Having BOTH would be a magical experience...
    Hence, the reason for my post.

Next question:
    Given the way I operate (above) and a doubling of the price point,
    Someone please help me justify the 6600 over the 6400... Anyone???
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    IIRC, in the video of the Flex both walk-through that was posted in one of these threads, a Flex staffer can be heard commenting that simultaneous clients are planned, but will be delivered outside of 2017 (words to that effect).

Peter
    K1PGV

• David Decoons, wo2x
    edited May 2017
    Clay, check out the comparison chart on their site and see if any of the 6600 exclusive features would be required by how you operate. Like 4 pans/4 slices, better bandpass filters, two Scully vs single. The two SCU allow you to have a slice on 20 on a Yagi and another on 40 on a dipole at the same time for example. Dave wo2x
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    @Clay - the 6600 has TWO SCU's which will give you opportunity to listen to two bands on two antennas at the same time, offering possibilities of full duplex or diversity reception.

It also has high performance contest bandpass filters, (the 6400 does not) which make is SO2R capable out of the box, depending upon your antenna isolation.  (4O3A said that very high power stations may need additional filtering)

The 6600 has TWO RX input ports which can be used for diversity reception or direction selection with receive antennas.

It also has TWO transverter ports, which will be very handy for VHF/UHF operations with transverters, and even full duplex satellite.

The 6600 has 4 pans/4 slices instead of only 2.  When multi-client is released, you could even use two pans/slices on SSDR/Win and two on Maestro or SSDR-IOS, or from a remote station...at the same time.  or Perhaps multi op  Run and S&P with the same rig using two devices..

These differences have inspired me to put down a deposit to trade up my 5600 to the 6600.  But as nice as the 'M' version is, my own operating style doesn't need the onboard controller.  Others will gladly add the extra $1000 because it fits their needs.

Ken - NM9P
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Ken and David, I feel you are both spot on.
    2 rx ports, rx antennas are so important, wish I knew that 30 years ago.
    Am toying with the xvtr idea but not big on VHF here, HF guy period.
    The 6600 has 4 pans/4 slices instead of only 2.  When multi-client is released, you could even use two pans/slices on SSDR/Win and two on Maestro or SSDR-IOS, or from a remote station...at the same time.  or Perhaps multi op  Run and S&P with the same rig using two devices..
    Ken that statement hits a lot of points with me, great potential.
    Would really like to have one of my kids come over and multiop with me in a contest or my xyl from the front room for that matter with the Maestro.  Now that is diversity!

The largest part of my operating beyond all of the above is chasing DX looking for Challenge band-fills and ATNO's. The compliment of RX antenna combinations and independent slices with their own antenna assignments is "huge" to coin the phrase..

Thank you for the input, 6600 it is then...
    BTW Ken, would like to meet you at this year's W9DXCC.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I don't think my schedule will allow me to make it.  I would like to get there some time.  I have never been to it.  I missed both the contesting and DX dinners at Dayton this weekend.  Was able to join the Flex Thursday dinner.  But I had to leave Saturday afternoon.

Clay, you and I may have similar operating style when it comes to DXing.  I am quite a bit of a gadfly - bouncing from band to band, mode to mode, wherever I hear or see a good posting.  I developed this style during the W1AW/p Centennial.  Trying to get as many band/mode contacts with the W1AW portable stations as possible kept me jumping about everywhere.  Having 2-SCU capability would have been a major improvement, though my 6500 did very nicely, especially on CW and RTTY.  

It is even easier to bounce to and from RTTY, CW, & SSB with the new versions of DAX & CAT with auto-switching that were released back with V.1.6 (I think that was the version)  Now I can keep a RTTY or other digital slice available on another panadapter and quickly switch to that pan/slice when I want to jump on a RTTY DX Spot.

This disadvantage to this gadfly operating style is that it makes selection of an amplifier more difficult and more expensive to purchase an amp that would be able to keep up with my frequency hopping style.  So far, it has been a barefoot only operation.  I dream about a Power Genius XL, but that is far outside my current finances.  I am trying to save for my 4th grader's college!  ha.

Ken - NM9P
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    You would REALLY like W9DXCC, top shelf operation. I don't recall exactly but I have been going better than 15 years now. All it took was once and I realized I had to pick up the pace on my DXing activities I had dropped after my early 80's plunge.  Started raising a family, school and income became priorities.  Acting responsible for a change.

You know a shorter drive for you at yet another truely top shelf venue is the SMC Fest on Aug 26th this year in Bloomington, IL.  Particularly now that you hail with the SMC, although open to everyone and is held on a Saturday.  This is a wonderful bunch as well.  Guarantee you will walk away with greater fervor for contesting and learn something new you had not thought of before.  The experience in both of these crowds is amazing!
    Many arrive on Friday and spend the night at the hotel/convention center with a group rate.  My friend Ken W9IE has ridden up with me the morning of the last couple of years but we are only about an hour and a half away, always a great time.

On the amplifier issue, I am there with you.  Not going to deal with remote issues till much later down the line, my internet is only 1mb total out here in the country.
    I did however sell off my TL-922a, L4B and ALS600 a few years back and purchased an ACOM1000 same time I bought my 6300, very happy I did.
    I had helped a good friend setup and install the power transformer into his ACOM2000, I realized at that point an ACOM was going to be a part of my arsenal.  I don't use tuners, the ACOM1000 will tune into up to 3:1 swr, microprocessor assist manual tuning is very fast (well under 10 seconds) and it is 1K any mode any band 6-160 all day long (quality build).  The 2000 and 4O3A were and are still not in my price range (yet).  Maybe somewhere down the line I will get lucky and live long enough to join the 401K club, ha!

You know I almost feel silly changing radios now as my 6300 has taken me to 279 countries mixed and just completed 6BDXCC and around 1050 toward the Challenge.
    I am just ready for and right now can afford the next step toward my retirement station whenever that may be.

You realize, there are going to be a bunch of newcomers getting a good deal on 6300's on the used market.  Same has been going on in the legacy radio market for many years, and so it goes.

Well, keep your eye on the DX cluster Ken.
    Maybe SMCFest...?
    73'
    Clay N9IO
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Update:
    This YouTube link from @Cliff N4CCB.
    0:16 to 0:27
    Explains multi-client / Multi display coming later this year in Ver 2.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqzh9L7MiJw&feature=youtu.be
    Excellent video Cliff, thanks.

@Peter K1PGV, this must be the video you referred to.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.