Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Will SmartLink require a public ip?

KG9DW
KG9DW Member ✭✭
I'm double-nat'd through my internet provider. Does the SmartLink service require a public facing IP? 

Answers

• Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I believe there will be a service in the middle, your radio registers with the service, the remote client registers with the service, and they establish a link that way. If your radio can find the service, it should work.

I defer to others for details, but as I read the available information it does not appear to require a 'static IP', which is what I assume you mean by 'public facingIP'.
  • K9DUR
    K9DUR Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    The "service in the middle" is an authentication service.  Once the authentication is complete, the radio & the client communicate directly.

A static IP is not required, but UPnP needs to be enabled.

73, Ray, K9DUR
  • KG9DW
    KG9DW Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Public IP means an IP that is routeable. Something other than 192.168.x.x, 10.x, or 172.16.x. 

The internet side of my router has a 10.x address assigned from the internet provider. You can't get to any servers or services port forwarded off my router from the internet. 

UPnP only lets the router be configured on the fly. If the client needs to make a connection directly back to the radio you would need a publicly routeable IP. You may not necessarily need a static public IP, but definitely a public one. 
  • K9DUR
    K9DUR Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I am one of the alpha testers.  All I had to do was make certain that UPnp was enabled on my router & do the network setup through the SmartSDR client.

73, Ray, K9DUR
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2017
    I'm double-nat'd through my internet provider. Does the SmartLink service require a public facing IP? 

Yes for UPnP to work.  SmartLink will not work if the radio end of the connection is multi-NATed.

However, if you set up multiple port forwarding, it may work as long as the private IP of the radio does not change (static DHCP reservation) and you have access to both routers to do the port forwarding.
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    There are a few things going on, maybe this will clarify: Public IP - despite your router showing a 'non-routable' IP address in the 10.****.****.**** range, ultimately you are reaching the Internet with a public IP address, that is the address that shows when you point your web browser at showmip.gr - without a public IP you could not communicate with any public web servers. Static IP - is a fixed, public IP, and something not typically available to a residential customer. A Dynamic IP service can simulate a fixed IP address by giving you a domain name that always points to your host. You do not need either a static IP nor a static host name, as Ray describes the function. The authentication service does not need to find your radio, your radio finds it, and since the radio initiates contact from inside the NAT environment, the authentication service knows how to reach it. Port Forwarding, where your router takes certain incoming connections and routes the traffic to a certain computer based on the port associated with the traffic (FTP, WWW, email, telnet, SSH, etc. each have an associated Port, for example WWW traffic typically comes in on port 80 or 8080), is not needed, because as mentioned before, your radio reaches out to the authentication service, the connection originates inside your home LAN.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2017
    Port Forwarding, where your router takes certain incoming connections and routes the traffic to a certain computer based on the port associated with the traffic (FTP, WWW, email, telnet, SSH, etc. each have an associated Port, for example WWW traffic typically comes in on port 80 or 8080), is not needed, because as mentioned before, your radio reaches out to the authentication service, the connection originates inside your home LAN.

This is incorrect for SmartLink.  While the authentication process is directed IP traffic and port forwarding is not required, the TCP control and status and the UDP audio and spectrum display channels are direct from the client to the radio and therefore an open port is required to connect to the radio.

• Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I, of course, defer to Tim & Ray.
  • K9DUR
    K9DUR Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    And I, of course, defer to Tim. -- 73, Ray, K9DUR
  • KG9DW
    KG9DW Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Ken, my scenario is that I appear to the internet to be behind a single IP. The endpoints I'm hitting all see this single IP address. It just so happens that IP address is the same for every other residential internet service customer in my area. If I want the endpoints to see a unique IP from just me, or if I want to be able to have connection requests inbound to me from outside of my provider, I need to upgrade my service to business class and pay more.

All this to say it's a perfectly valid design for SmartLink. It just means those of us on internet providers that do double NAT may need to upgrade our service. 
  • chuckchen
    chuckchen Member ✭✭
    > @"Tim - W4TME" said:
    > I'm double-nat'd through my internet provider. Does the SmartLink service require a public facing IP? 
    >
    > Yes for UPnP to work.  SmartLink will not work if the radio end of the connection is multi-NATed.
    >
    > However, if you set up multiple port forwarding, it may work as long as the private IP of the radio does not change (static DHCP reservation) and you have access to both routers to do the port forwarding.

hi,my home network is the multi NATED.I also configed the port forwarding in my router,but,the test button always RED. do you have any soultion?
  • Jeff_W4DD
    Jeff_W4DD Member ✭✭

You might want to contact your isp. Some have a pool of routable IPs and they can move you from using the private pool to the routable pool. I did this for a friend and it worked perfectly. There was no charge.

• WX6P
    WX6P Member ✭✭
    Attempting to revive this conversation so I don’t have to start another one instead. I am trying to access my 6400 via SmartLink at a remote location where I only have 4G internet access. My router is a Huawei B311-221 which has uPnP but I cannot see an option to enable TCP or UDP ports. Reading more about these routers I came across a suggestion that a 4G internet connection will not allow port forwarding because you only get a private IP address. Apparently only fibre connections provide public IP addresses. Is there true in this claim and could SmartLink not work via a private IP address?
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

No, SmartLink requires a public IP on the radio end so that the client software can find it on the internet.

What you want to do can be done, but it requires a bit of VPN work. There is lots of discussion on possible ideas in the Remote Operating forum part.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.