Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Will smart link work with double NAT?

Burch - K4QXX
Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
edited July 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
I have Frontier FIOS (formerly Verizon) at my QTH for internet and television.  I get 85 up 85 down so I have no issues with speed.  However, the Verizon supplied router is not very good.  I have to use it or I lose some TV functions (remote DVR, TV guide, etc).  What I have done is setup a new Asus router via the DMZ of the Verizon router.  I basically have two different networks.  I have all my devices in the house setup on the ASUS router with the exception of my 6700 and the computer I use with the Flex.  The VPN software doesn't like the double NAT (Verizon is 192.168.0 and ASUS is 192.168.10).  Will Smart Link work with a double NAT or will I need to leave my FLEX on my Verizon router?

Burch
K4QXX

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited May 2017
    Not on the radio end of the connection.

Usually, folks have their ISP configure their CPE in bridge mode so that the customer provided router gets a public IP address on the WAN interface.
  • Jay Spaulding
    Jay Spaulding Member
    edited May 2017
    If you do that you have to pay for two IP addresses from your provider. Best thing for him to do is change the NAT type.
  • Ron W4RDM
    Ron W4RDM Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Disabling NAT in the Verizon modem/router will work. Be sure to cycle power on the Modem/router and ASUS router after disabling the NAT
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    If I use bridge mode, I still lose some functionality with my TV service.  It's not a big deal but it would be much easier to use just use one router. 
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited May 2017
    As long as that one router supports UPnP or you can do manual port forwarding, you will be OK.
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Thanks Tim
  • Bob-N4HY
    Bob-N4HY Company Adviser
    edited May 2017
    I have a WISP (Ubiquity on water tower a mile from my home).  They will not open a port and it is definitely double NAT.  I will continue to have to VPN.

73s
    N4HY

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.