Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Will not run on battery at all, has serious problems with Wifi 6 feet from router

W2PP
W2PP Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in Maestro
I got this used the other day from you guys.  I'm not sure I even got all the parts I'm supposed to have. 
Regardless, the unit will not run unless its plugged in, yes, I left it on charge with the unit turned off for 4 days, the behavior has not changed.
Unless its plugged in the unit will not boot up properly, wifi doesn't work and so on as you would expect with a dead battery.

Additionally, are their supposed to be antennas on this?  The back of mine has damage around one of the holes in the rear near the top, what is that for?  The other one has what looks like aluminum foil over it, is this normal?

Was this supposed to come with a microphone?????

I paid nearly FULL price for this, so its not like it was a huge bargain and I should expect this stuff.
Please get back to me.
Peter

Comments

• AH0U
    AH0U Member
    edited June 2019
    What Radio do you have that has a battery in it??? My Maestro has a battery.. is that what you have??
  • Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019

I take it you mean an external battery in the Maestro? In that case the battery will not charge in the unit. It has to be removed and charged separately. As far as I am aware the Maestro does not come with a battery and is user supplied.

Tim VE6SH

• W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    This one has a battery and it won’t hold a charge. This is a Meadtro
  • Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    OK. Maybe I misunderstood. The battery will not charge in the Maestro. It has to be removed and charged directly.
  • W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    OK this is weird, I just opened up the back to take the battery out to charge it, there is no battery that I can see.  Yet with no AC hooked up it does run.  Where is the 5 VDC battery kept then?
    Thanks!
    Peter
  • Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019

The 5v battery is just to maintain the settings. It will not run the Maestro. You will need to purchase a battery separately and charge it externally. If you search the forum there are some recommendations for external battery packs.

Tim VE6SH

• W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Thanks Tim, I gather I've been running the unit off the display battery.  I'll noodle around here and see if I can find one.  Still does the Meastro need Wifi antenna?
  • Jim Runge
    Jim Runge Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    That is the battery that keeps the processor in the Maestro alive. You need to run the Maestro off of the wall wart power supply or an internal battery which you need to supply. Do not try and run it without one or the other as it will drain the processor battery and the maestro will not boot up requiring a trip to flex to fix.
  • W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Do you have a recommendation for a supplemental battery?
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    There is an internal battery, and a battery that you take out to charge. the internal battery keeps the Maestro alive.
  • Jim Runge
    Jim Runge Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    The one I haved they don't make anymore. Do a search here for Maestro batteries and you should get some info.
  • Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019

I am using Mogix batteries. Cannot recall the size, but if you search this forum there should be a number of options.

• W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Thanks I got one, found it.  Don't know why it didn't come up the first time ... probably a typo, in any case as usual you guys are superb thanks again!
    Peter
  • Jim Runge
    Jim Runge Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    No Wi-Fi antenna required. It is built in.
  • Bill  /  VA3QB
    Bill / VA3QB Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    These batteries work perfect in the Maestro https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01641KC3I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 73 Bill VA3QB
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
  • John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I recommend you also read the manual for the Maestro.

Here is a link to find the Maestro and other downloads including the manual.

http://www.flexradio.com/support/downloads/
  • W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I did
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    The “aluminum” over the hole is a warranty sticker. You would need to remove or puncture it to take the case apart. That way Flex can tell if the Maestro had been tampered with or not. The Polanfo 20000m battery packs on Amazon work well and last about 4 to 4 1/2 hours each. Flex decided to not allow charging of the battery packs inside the Maestro after all the issues with LiPo battery charging with hoverboards. They do not want liability if there were an issue. Flex opted to use off the shelf battery packs since they are inexpensive and the user could get multiple packs. Keep in mind the maximum size requirement for the battery pack is 6” x 3” x 0.75”. You also want to get one that is auto start, meaning when the Maestro turns on the pack starts providing voltage out. Some packs require you to hit a button to turn them on. Dave wo2x
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    The Maestro does not come with a microphone.  That is an option.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.