Will Maestro be able to control a 6500 over a 4G Verizon wireless network into a hot-spot connected to a router?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
I recently overheard a conversation on the air that a wireless 4G network could not be used for radio control, as in using a Maestro over a Verizon 4G network into a Verizon hot-spot connected to a router at the 6500 location?  Steve, can you shed some light on this?
Photo of Charles - K5UA

Charles - K5UA

• 319 Posts
  • 89 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Bob - W7KWS -

Bob - W7KWS -

• 321 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
I regularly run my IC-706 mobile using a Verizon Hotspot. The 706 control head is connected to a RemoteRig in the conventional manner. The RemoteRig has the WiFi module & connects to the hotspot that way.

At the station I have DSL with Ethernet to the RemoteRig.

AT&T hotspots don't work as well as Verizon. The AT&T ping time is often greater than 200 mSec. I think that the 706 has a keep alive packet that must be acknowledge sooner than that.
Photo of Robbie - KI4TTZ

Robbie - KI4TTZ

• 484 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
I asked in another thread and the reply is that 4g would be great but it needs to be tested. (or something to that effect)

Also, in another 5 years, 5G will be here!  http://www.cnet.com/news/how-5g-will-push-a-supercharged-network-to-your-phone-home-and-car/

-Robbie
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
Wow, I used to think those people had a clue.
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1233 Posts
  • 478 Reply Likes
Ignorance is now YET knowing. It can be a bumpy ride getting up to speed.
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
For some more than others. The article talked about 20Gbs consumer speed. While commercial data centers CAN go that high they generally do about 10Gbs. Consumer digital devices are just recently running 1Gbs interfaces. It will be way more than 5 years before consumers are running at 20Gps and 5G is already available at much slower speeds.Very high end Cisco commercial equipment can go about 80Gbs in the aggregate.
Photo of K2CM

K2CM

• 265 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
We have used a 4G hotspot, from a cellular phone , to connect to my home station . We slowed down the SmartSRR displays; but aside from that made contacts using a laptop connected to the hotspot.
Photo of Rob Fissel

Rob Fissel

• 270 Posts
  • 48 Reply Likes
Last weekend, I ran sideband voice for two hours on 15 and 20 meters with my laptop tethered to my iPhone 6 with solid LTE service, and had no issues or dropouts. I ran everything like I would if I was connected through my LAN - I didn't slow down my screen refresh rate or the waterfall rate at all. With a lesser connection, you would have to consider lowering refresh and waterfall rates, but it would still be more than usable. 

Dealing with DAX over WAN can be a bit of a different story...
Photo of spopiela

spopiela

• 82 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Were you using a MAC? Parallels or other remote desktop ap? VPN tunnel?

Stan
Photo of Rob Fissel

Rob Fissel

• 270 Posts
  • 48 Reply Likes
Stan, 

Not sure who specifically this was directed to in the thread but my remote operation setup is as follows:

2012 Macbook Air, bootcamp into Windows 7 (no VM)
SSDR 1.4.11
PPTP VPN set up on DD-WRT flashed router at home

Rob
(Edited)
Photo of spopiela

spopiela

• 82 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Rob,

Thanks. I guess I moved a little off the thread topic. I am a newbie to the group. I want t to try remote operation using a windows laptop with remote Wifi and also tethered to my ATT LTE cellphone. . My home Netgear R7000 router provides OpenVPN into my home network. It is not a DD-WRT flashed router so the VPN may be different. I'm not savvy about VPN protocols. I'm running a fast Windows desktop with Windows 8.1 on my LAN and it and my Windows laptop hook up and run fine with the Flex 6300 and SSDR 1.4.11.
You didn't mention any " remote desktop application" so you are running SSDR on your remote laptop and not on your LAN computer?

Stan
Photo of Rob Fissel

Rob Fissel

• 270 Posts
  • 48 Reply Likes
Stan, 

Without really hijacking this thread, it's my understanding that OpenVPN will pass UDP broadcast packets, which is the key here when attempting to access your Flex via WAN with a VPN. I'd search the forums as I'm pretty sure others have had sucess with OpenVPN. Install SSDR on a computer outside of your home network, OpenVPN into the net work, run SSDR, and see if your Flex shows up in the list. 

I am not using any remote desktop application at all (no RDP, TeamViewer, VNC, or anything like that). I have SSDR installed on my laptop that I take with me, and VPN into my network to access the Flex. One of the key features in SSDR 1.4 was remote access on a LAN...others on this forum have been resourceful enough to make that work over WAN via VPN. 

Rob
Photo of spopiela

spopiela

• 82 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Rob,
Thank you, I'll give it a try.

Stan
N1THL
Photo of Steve - N5AC

Steve - N5AC, VP Engineering / CTO

• 1053 Posts
  • 1076 Reply Likes
Official Response
I see no reason that a cellular modem tethered via WiFi would not work.  We've not done any testing with this, but several of our customers are using SmartSDR over cellular and having great results.  We are using the same protocols.  Of course, today you will need to use VPN and be responsible for the connection.  In the future, we will have v2.0 which will do this for you.
(Edited)
Photo of Charles - K5UA

Charles - K5UA

• 319 Posts
  • 89 Reply Likes
Thanks Steve. I thought it should be feasible, but wanted to check to make sure. I live in a rural area and the 1 Mbit down and 200 Kbit up WiFi "Hi-Speed" service I now have is not going to cut it. With my 4G Verizon smart phone acting as a hot-spot wireless connected to my Mini-Mac I'm getting 70 Mbit, so that is what I'm planning for Version 2 SmartSDR so I can operate from home with a Maestro. Dream come true.