will a Heil pr781 work with a flex 6400?

  • 1
  • Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Answered
Photo of tom sprtel

tom sprtel

  • 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

  • 1
Photo of Art - N4QNT

Art - N4QNT

  • 68 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
Should work fine, if you are not using any outboard gear like a pre-amp I would suggest enabling the +20 dB gain in the Radio TX settings to amp up that dynamic element in the PR..
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P

  • 4241 Posts
  • 1358 Reply Likes
Official Response
Yes, if you purchase or make a properly wired adapter cable.

As with any mic, you will need to begin with the proper default Mic profile for that Mic, and then adjust it to your purpose and tastes.
Photo of Jon - KF2E

Jon - KF2E

  • 707 Posts
  • 237 Reply Likes
I would recommend wiring it for the balanced input. It will help minimize RF getting into your audio which can sometimes be problematic. I use one and am very happy with it. Also, your Flex comes with a default 781 profile to get you going.
Photo of Neil D Friedman N3DF

Neil D Friedman N3DF

  • 323 Posts
  • 96 Reply Likes
I don't think the 6400 series has a balanced input.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

  • 9478 Posts
  • 3666 Reply Likes
The 6400 does not have a true balanced input.  
Photo of Jerry Haar

Jerry Haar

  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
So what adapter is needed to connect the PR-781 to the Flex 6400? Jerry N6JKH
Photo of Neil D Friedman N3DF

Neil D Friedman N3DF

  • 323 Posts
  • 96 Reply Likes

The one here that says 3-pin XLR to 1/8 inch TRS for 6400.


By the way, I really like using this K&M desk mic stand for my 781:


It is relatively expensive, but is heavy and solid yet compact and is very well-made.

Good luck.  I enjoy using my 781.
Photo of Charlie Rubenstein KB8CR

Charlie Rubenstein KB8CR

  • 110 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
I am very happy with the PR-781 on my 6400. I used the 3pin XLR to 1/8"TRS cable on the Flex website. I have it on the Heil LB1B PTT stand, which has an output for the PTT.