Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Will a Flex 6000 series suppress rain static?

Dick B
Dick B Member ✭✭
A friend in GA has trouble with rain static from his Force 12 yagi at 80 ft.  The NB and NR on his IC-7600 do not affect it.  Will a Flex Radio SDR suppress rain static?  

Answers

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Rain static is an antenna issue. Moving the RX to a loop antenna will solve it. The same with snow. The can't solve this at the radio end. Mike va3mw
  • Dick B
    Dick B Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    We understand but replacing his new Force 12 yagi is not an option.  The I.C.E. 303 description says it helps eliminate rain/snow static, and the NB's in most radios really help on impulse noise, so thought perhaps an SDR noise filter might help.  Static discharging wicks are not a very practical solution either.  

• Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I use also a large F12 antenna (5BA at 75 ft.) but no rain or snow static here.

Your friend should check with a small piece of wire and a RX. Is it exact only if it's real raining or also some time after rain stops.

Problem can be also the porcelain insulator of a power line/pole. Some small haircuts and your rain static is perfect (leak current).

We had in the past many fights with our power company - till WE call our PTT. Then they have to pay the PTT action and to change the insulator.

73 Chris
  • Dave Dave
    Dave Dave Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    6000 series ahs many different noise filters .... still no basic squelch but many filters.
  • James Del Principe
    James Del Principe Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    ****, I use the ICE suppressors on all of my antennas but I'm sure any other device that has a resistance or inductor to ground would work.     73, Jim
  • Dick B
    Dick B Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I use the I.C.E. 303 here and so does he.  He put it in and out of the coax and said it doesn't help. Perhaps he's really got a power line problem that only shows up in the rain.  
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    That would be a fair assumption.  I have dealt with this as well - arcing that only occurs when leaves, sticks, or cracked insulators get damp.  They really raise holy you-know-what!

As far a rain static, the Noise Blanker will not be effective because the noise is not "correlated" i.e. periodic and predictable by DSP.  

The NR or Noise Reduction routine may be able to reduce some of the effects, but only to a degree.  Noise like that is hard to beat.  Careful adjustment of filters, AGC-T and NR level might find some relief.  

But I would begin looking at other causes of the static interference.  In fact, you might have multiple sources combined together, making it a lot tougher to tackle.

Ken - NM9P
  • James Del Principe
    James Del Principe Member ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Ken/****, I fully agree. I had this problem when the power company changed to 25KV lines in my old neighborhood in CT. I was on a first name basis with their people but they were very responsive. It was not a one time effort however, as insulators, arc gaps, etc continued to break down over time.   Time to call the power company. 73, Jim

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.