Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Will 0-1W RF Output be possible for the future in the Tune Mode?

Kevin Va3KGS
Kevin Va3KGS Member ✭✭

I have a need to run the radio at less than 1W RF output while in the Tune Mode.  Building and testing a receiving loop antenna for 160M, I found that working here on my property the signal level is to strong even through a dummy load.  I have a friend 3 miles away, using his Flex at 1W was still to much signal for me.  I did not ask him to put a dummy load on yet. Other suggested ideas are welcome.

Kevin, Va3KGS

Answers

• Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Try The Transverter port 34 mW out.
  • Kevin Va3KGS
    Kevin Va3KGS Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018

Great idea Bill.  I will give it a try over the next few days, and report back here.

Kevin

• HCampbell  WB4IVF
    HCampbell WB4IVF Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Or maybe use an antenna analyzer as a very low level signal generator?  Mu AIM-4170 generates a -17dBm signal which comes in handy at times.

Howard
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Or you try an attenuator with 3dB or 6dB or 10dB or.....

And the best :  you use them on RX and/or TX side at same time !

Chris DL5NAM
  • Kevin Va3KGS
    Kevin Va3KGS Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018

Its one tool I don't have in the shack.  I will ask around if the other suggestions don't work.

Thanks

Kevin

• Kevin Va3KGS
    Kevin Va3KGS Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018

Hi Chris.  Another great idea.  I do have a 6db pad I can use.  Looks like using this pad and going on transverter port if needed just might be my ticket.

Thanks

Kevin

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    This actually works. I have used XVTR out and had QSOs with local stations 2 miles away on ten meters with 55 - 59 reports, too. Of course this was using my LP at 38 ft.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2018
    No.  The PA's precision is 1W, not less.  Using the XVTR port or an attenuator on the ANT-x port is your only option
  • Brad A. Steffler
    Brad A. Steffler Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Thanks for the helpful information, Tim.

Brad
    KE4XJ

• Kevin Va3KGS
    Kevin Va3KGS Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018

Tnx Tim for responding.

Kevin

• ka7gzr
    ka7gzr Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018

A long length of transmission cable to a dummy load would be another suggestion.

Jim 

ka7gzr

• Kevin Va3KGS
    Kevin Va3KGS Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018

Interesting concept Jim. 

Currently all of my long cables are already in use to the back yard, where my loop is placed at the moment. 

I'm going to work with a dummy load and a PAD from within the shack and see how things workout for me there.

Thanks

Kevin, Va3KGS

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.