Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

WiFi Requirements and Performance with Maestro

2»

Comments

• Steve (N9SKM)
    Steve (N9SKM) Member
    edited May 2016
    Perhaps instead of asking a manufacturer to tell you what router to buy you should start another topic so we can as a community keep track of what ones work well or not.
    Their recommendation for looking up one with good reviews and possibly catered towards gaming seems reasonable. There is already another thread where some people have started discussing this, I have an asus rt-N66u that someone else who has already received their maestro said works well.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Steve, I do not think that that would work. Everybody would have their favourite routers and what works well in one environment would not work well in others.

There is always be situations in which poor routers will work well and others where a top-hole router will be awful. My N66U may work well as I use third party firmware and have highly configured it. At default, it could be a useful paperweight
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016

There are a LOT of reasons to have a specification, rather than a recommendation:

1. Until you get to enterprise-grade gear the performance of several units of the same router can vary. 

2. Product Specifications are not static.

3. Otherwise identical copies can vary by both known and unpublicized differences in Firmware.

4. Lastly so many variables in the rest of the individuals network, shack environment, interaction from other devices on network, level of other WiFi signals, and things like other software, network of things, other streaming users (think TimeCapsules and Sonos type background loads as well as other users) can affect performance.

WiFi quality and Network Issues will not go away with everyone rushing to brand-X model-z routers.  YMMV is reflected when you look at things like Amazon ratings for consumer routers - even the good ones have people who have ended up with bad experiences.

Steve K9ZW

• GI4FZD
    GI4FZD Member
    edited June 2016
    is the Archer C7 working well with the Maestro
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    So far yes indeed but make sure you have the latest firmware loaded!

• Gary F
    Gary F Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    I am using a Linksys E1200 router, 2,4 Ghz, with no problems. I am also using a Netgear W3000 range extender at the other end of the house. All is working fine between the Flex and Maestro.
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Well, I received my Maestro this morning, put a battery in it, 12v power line to my battery bank, set up the wifi to my old Linksys WRT54G router running 2.4 GHz and I've had it turned on non-stop for 12 hours strait.

I just went into the Menu and selected the Network tab to see how things were doing.  Network Status: Excellent, Latency (RTT): 1 ms, Max Latency (RTT): 25 ms, Dropped 0 out of millions of packets....  Total RX Rate: 874 average with 2 slices.  I've walked all over the house with it and no dropouts or issues.   When I look at the different Wifi routers out there I see around a dozen of them although none of them have extremely strong signals.

For now I'll keep my old WRT54G running Tomato....
  • Craig K9CT
    Craig K9CT Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I need to investigate further on my own setup but I am getting better network performance on the Maestro if I am connected to WiFi than connected directly with ethernet cable.... and that just makes no sense. I am using a Smart Gigabit switch and the ethernet cable supplied by Flex.

Ver 1.8 fixed it!!
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Good article Craig,
    I had issue with a Firewatch deviceat work 8 stories up talking to road digital signage.
    The POE and device died after some years,  by the time I received replacement it was off the air long enough MANY new wifi's in the area went on to and next to the channel we were using and I could not connect any longer.   After monitoring the local wifi landscape it became apparent to change to a much higher channel (for that app anyway).  The Firewatch tech says that most home wifi's want to congregate in the lower channels (not terribly smart devices).  Now at home I intentionally select a high channel even though I am out in the country just to avoid potential issues.
  • Rob K1SR
    Rob K1SR Member
    edited July 2016
    Steve, I purchased the Netgear AC3200. Everything was fine until I started getting this message. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks K1SR Rob image
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited December 2016
    This looks unrelated to WiFi and I'm not certain what the issue is here.  You should open a help disk ticket and work with support for a resolution.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.