Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Wife wants an iPad (read newspaper/FaceTime)

Options
Steven WA8Y
Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for iOS
I know this is off topic, but there are many knowledgeable Apple users on the Flex community.
Which one should I buy her and what's a good price?
Steven WA8Y

Answers

• Wim
    Wim Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Here's a good article about just this ipad topic:

https://9to5mac.com/2018/11/26/ipad-pro-vs-ipad-9-7/

enjoy
    - Wim
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Options
    My wife has the new iPAD with 9.7 inch display with WIFI and 32GB.  She is a big reader.  Light web surfing and email.  Very fast processor.  Nice device.  She loves it !  $329.

I have second generation iPAD Pro with 12.9 inch display.  I use it for web, email and SSDR.  Very nice machine but expensive.  Starts at $999.
  • Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options
    This is for my wife. she never complains when I buy radios. price is not a factor
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options
    For browsing and F.B the basic 9.7 current model is wonderful My wife uses one like that all the time and even does games as well. The Pro model is next up but costs twice as much and is more power than necessary for browsing. A few vendors had the 9.7 on sale @ T.G. for $249.00 
    Happy wife happy life!
  • John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Steve if you do get a iPad have your wife download and try Texture.  It is a monthly service to allow magazine reading.  The price is very reasonable.  Before getting it for my wife she use to spend $100s of per year on Magazine and they were always laying around.  That is all gone and she never runs out of stuff to read.  The $10/month I have ever spent.  It use to be $15 a month for the unlimited version but they reduced the price after Apple bought them out.  When does that ever happen.

https://www.texture.com/
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options
    We have been using iPads for years. If you’re only using it at home, then the noncellular models are more than adequate.. iPads and iPhones are virtually the same except for a screen size and speed of processor. So moving between them is seamless. My wife has a 9.7 inch because she likes the smaller size and I have a 12 inch iPad Pro because I like the larger size By the latest model because it will have the fastest processor and therefore stave off Obsolescence for a few years. If you use iCloud for storage, you do not need a huge memory on the iPad. That said after many years of using the iPad I have the biggest possible memory on mine because of all the stuff And apps I pphave stored
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I just received the latest 9.7 32gb WiFi only from Amazon with free shipping $249.
    I purchased and installed SSDR iOS but have only had a few minutes to play with it.
    I've spent more time researching on the community here what I need to do to tweak my 5gb WiFi.
    Audio on and off unless I am changing freq scolling the band. I am fairly certain I have found my solution now if I could find a sane moment not baby sitting or working that would be huge, ha...
    At least I got this far.
    Stand by for possible future questions.
    Clay N9IO BTW: I have only had Android phone before this. Must say I am very impressed with the iPad. Love it so far. I like the my Galaxy 6 but this screen size is WOW for use at home for these old eyes.
  • Sherman Banks
    Sherman Banks Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I just bought a new iPad with 128 MB and WiFi (no cell connection). It works well for me and is much faster than my previous model. I use it to read newspapers, QST, CQ and web browsing. I maxed out the memory to make sure I don't run out for music and videos, since I occasionally download videos when traveling. I didn't see the need for the cell modem since WiFi is in most places I go and I can download anything I need to see/read/hear to the iPad. It's also a good size, not too big. The iPad Pro had features that I don't need for the basic stuff I do.

• Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    If you own an iPhone, you can use the Hot Spot function to provide internet connectivity when away from home. So no need for cell service on iPad, saves money on iPad service and cost of iPad.
  • Vox Deus
    Vox Deus Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Looks like that 32 GByte iPad is the hot buy this season. I got one for my wife after she borrowed a MacBook the other week and suddenly understood why I like Apple products. And she doesn't like her Lenovo Android tablet.  Now I'll just have to steal it from her to install iOS SSDR.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.