Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Wideband signal strength meter

Peter Driessen
Peter Driessen Member ✭✭
edited July 2017 in New Ideas
A meter to measure the aggregate signal strength observed by an SCU would be very useful to quickly determine if the total input power including out of band signals not visible on the pan adapter exceeds the safe limit of 9 dBm

Comments

• Greg - K5GJ
    Greg - K5GJ Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Peter:
    Great idea!  I would also like to propose a small (and possibly obscure) variation on this theme:  

In EME and LNA development work, it's very useful to be able to measure SUN and MOON noise relative to cold sky.  Sun noise can be as high as 10dB above cold sky but moon noise is an order of magnitude smaller.  I've done this using my FLEX-6700 on 10GHz (using a 144MHz IF) and visually the panadapter is very well suited.  If FlexRadio were to decide to implement a WB-SNR meter, please consider adding a Relative Mode with 0.5dB, 1.0dB, 2.0dB, 10dB and 20dB Full Scale ranges - RELATIVE to a "Zeroed" cold sky or baseline noise measurement.  

Greg Jurrens - K5GJ

• Simon Lewis
    Simon Lewis Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    yup as a bouncer I like this :)

• Simon Lewis
    Simon Lewis Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    you QRV 3cms EME Greg??
  • Greg - K5GJ
    Greg - K5GJ Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Simon - QRV tropo and trying to get to the moon. I have everything but enough PA. Had the opportunity to press. The 6700 into 3cm EME last Summer with Al W5LUA. Performance was great! Can't wait...
  • Peter Driessen
    Peter Driessen Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    The wideband signal strength meter will help set up the 6700 for FDX SO2R with confidence that safe limits are not exceeded for the pair of antennas used.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.