Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Wich remote amplifier?

Laurens PD9X
Laurens PD9X Member ✭✭

Recently I had the opportunity to borrow a KPA500, unfortunately it must be delivered to his owner again J

Wich affordable Mosfet amplifier do you prefer for using remote with you Flex6*00?

Juma

KPA500 /1500

RF-Kit

Amertiron

Answers

• PA0AER
    PA0AER Member
    edited April 2020
    When you need a ATU: expert 1.3ka
    w/o an ATU: ACOM 600S
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    B26-PA 2K+ from RF-Kit.de
  • Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    SPE Expert 1.3K w. Auto Tuner. Having had my 1K for more than a year with my 6700. Works great, but software for remote not so good. Plan to upgrade to 1.3 soon.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2020
    Elecraft KPA 1500
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2019
    I have used the KPA500 and the B26.  All remote very well.

Any Amp that has RS232 or BCD band control and is autoband switching will work fine remote.  

Mike 
  • Rick - W5FCX
    Rick - W5FCX Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    SPE 2K-FA
  • Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Yes, this is the best one.
  • Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    RF-KIT B26 RF 2K+ RF-KIT.de
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I was thinking about a http://www.expertlinears.com/pdfs/qwikstart_2-0k-fa_spe.pdf,, not that familar with this line of equipment made in Europe!!
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    when you need ATU (with or without) = B26-PA  :-)
  • Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Where can I find information regarding getting one of these amplifiers?
  • Russ K5OA
    Russ K5OA Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Running the SPE 2k-FA fully remote love it!

• Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but It's a kit you need to build yourself? Right?
  • Rick - W5FCX
    Rick - W5FCX Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    If you mean SPE 2K FA, Expert Linears is the US reseller. I have one and like it a lot; however, as I do more FT8, it tops out at around 1.2KW (plenty for me) but will not sustain full legal limit on digital modes, RTTY, etc. - at least the one I have.  There was a recent announcement that the latest version will sustain full power with improved heatsinks and other improvements. Most of my antennas are resonant, but having the built-in tuner does help on a few bands when it's rainy and things get wet.

The PGXL is another option, but to my knowledge does not have the built-in tuner.
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Johan, why you ask questions when you know the answer? You was member of the B26-PA group at Groups.io and you have seen the internet of RF-Kit.de

Yes it is a kit but not like a kit from Heathkit from the old days :-)

To finish the kit you need 6 - 8 hours and over 150 Ham's in USA have finished his kit well. Worldwide many more. 

Many power amps came from Europe: ACOM , OM-Power, Expert, Yuma, PGXL from Flex and also B26-PA

• Rick - W5FCX
    Rick - W5FCX Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Yes. I'm also running the 2K-FA remotely and it's very nice. Using a remote Virtual Serial Port Emulator over VPN connection for remotely accessing the SPE 2K-FA USB COM port. I can do everything with it remotely that I can sitting in front of it (except play with the connectors on the back :)
  • Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Negative, I'm referring to the B26-PA 2K+ . I cant find any reference to a seller.
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Geoff, it's RF-Kit.de - there all info you need, any you also a member of B26-PA at groups.io

contact Reinhard DH3NAB info@rf-kit.de
  • Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Yes I thought I did know, but it has been proposed and suggested here as an alternative to factory built amplifiers. I wasn't sure if something had changed lately. As well as I'm not sure everyone reading here are aware of it.

To me It's a World of difference comparing factory built, with service offered, warranties, at least resonably known second hand value. To homebrew amps without any of the later.

Bit of comparing apples with oranges. But that's my opinion. Each to his own.
  • Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Thanks Chris
  • Manfred HB9FLU
    Manfred HB9FLU Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    do you really need a amplifier to reach the 25w you're allowed to?
  • Rick - W5FCX
    Rick - W5FCX Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    If you want to make DX contacts during challenging propagation conditions you do. There is no minimum or maximum power level for FT8, unlike some other low power digital modes. https://community.flexradio.com/flexr...

https://medium.com/@glevey/tips-for-t...
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited February 2019
    Yes, it is a bit of a kit. You have to install your own RPI and make up some RF cables.  It is pretty straight forward.  

You do then need to do all the calibration, so you will need a voltmeter and a calibrated wattmeter that can go to 2kw.

Mike

• Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    This might be a good topic to ask a question.. My primary antenna is a Carolina Windom Antenna. This is an offset dipole with a Vertical Radiator giving you both horizontal and vertical polarization.. Been a great antenna for me over the years. My amplifier is a Dentron MLA-1500 with a Ameritron Tuner.. The tuner uses a T network, 2 capacitors with a Roller Inductor.. Does a perfect job of matching the antenna. As I was looking for a new Solid State Linear with a built in Tuner, it looks like everyone uses a L network.. A single capacitor and a single inductor! Most are RELAY controlled, some are auto tune like the Palstar, but even the Palstar is a L network.. Not sure these can match my type of antenna or many other antennas that Must Have an external antenna tuner.. I was wondering if anyone has faced a similar situation and is their fully Automated equipment that will work, due to the type of antenna I must stay with my present type of equipment?? Thanks Robert
  • Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP
    Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Hi Robert, Most commercial solid state PA:s today have no internal tuner. With some SWR in the antennas they rapidly reduce the power output. Tube PA:s are more insensitive to SWR and can handle more reflected power. To my knowledge there is only one Tuner that really can do the tough antenna mismatch at low bands and that is the Swiss tuner by Heinz Bolli. Unfortunately expensive. OTH if your antenna is 40-10 m Carolina Window the mismatch is mostly managable. We have tested ACOM's new 04T auto tuner and it performs surprisingly well even on low bands.
  • Manfred HB9FLU
    Manfred HB9FLU Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    PD calls are limited to 25w
  • Laurens PD9X
    Laurens PD9X Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Thats right, but PI not
  • Manfred HB9FLU
    Manfred HB9FLU Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Everybody knows best what's to do:-) No problem for me how much power a ham use. HB3er's often use amps on remote, it's more or less accepted - more or less, but not with the own call.

Be careful when asking such a question with your call. When I was HB3YAT some years ago, I did that in another forum too. A few days later a official visited me and asked tons of questions - without trouble for me, they said, that all was o.k.

Wish you 73 from sunny Switzerland
    Manfred

P.S.
    Foto on QRZ.com is in your club shack;-)
  • Laurens PD9X
    Laurens PD9X Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Yes, during CQWW, clubstation PI4M

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.