Why you need a PGXL?

• Question
  • Updated 1 month ago
The PGXL seems to be a superb advanced Amp capable of 1500W Key Down for extended periods of time which is totally integrated into the Flex Echo System with accompanying industry leading remote and SO2R Capabilities..

However, on an earlier thread about PGXL delivery dates, there was a lot of pissing and moaning from a select few that people really do not need 1500W because those select few magically seemed to have the propagation gods on their side working one or two rare dx using 100W with a wet noodle for an antenna

Personally I have a superb Antenna System (SteppIR MonstIR @85' near the top of a mountain with an unobstructed view to the Pacific) and yet I find that there are times when I need every watt I can put out to make that ultra rare contact.  

This is particularly true with FT8 where I have at least a 6db gain advantage and many times I have as much as a 25dB gain advantage over the DX station... This asymmetry of signal strengths is due to the fact that they have poor antenna systems, crappy receivers and huge losses due to using external sound card interfaces.  

My current SPE 2K-FA will only sustain about 1000W on FT8 which is obviously not enough to work that -24dB signal when I have a 24dB gain advantage,,,basically every extra watt I can put out really can make the difference when trying to work that rare weak one... NO.. I can't wait until they get stronger because many of those weak ones are DXPeditions which may never happen again..

The point of this posts.. is to give a forum for the POWER POLICE to rant and rave about those of us with big towers, antennas and amps - and hopefully once they are done ranting here they wont interfere with other threads about the PGXL and other Amps.

Hopefully this will be a civil discussion...
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3700 Posts
  • 1550 Reply Likes
  • happy

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Pat - WH6HI

Pat - WH6HI

• 337 Posts
  • 62 Reply Likes
Hi Mark, look I know what said, so not sure what context you are interpreting . You have to understand that my operating conditions are not Howard’s conditions. This is part of why I stated that one has to analyze all the variable, such as antenna type, gain, hight above the earth, propagation on any particular day, location of the person being worked, and the list goes on. Power is not everything in working any particular station. Just to double check that my comments had merit. I looked at my log for the last 9 months, about 2000 contacts and looked at the receiving station report of my signal. I only found 4 contacts worked that where -22 or less. 2 of which were at 100 watts, and the other 2 at 500 and 1000 watts. On the vast majority of other contacts operated over 80, 40, 20, 17, 15, 12 and 10 meters signal reports were between -18 and +19 dB SNR. There is one other factor we need to deal with. That is the correlation of comparing power dB with SNR dB. They do not necessarily track each other in a linear way. RX AGC and other factors on the receive side may skew the SNR. So that 1.76 dB power advantage may not show up on the RX end. And may not matter. If one is getting -24 sig report running 1500 watts chances are the end station will copy you even at only 1000 watts. Actually reality shows that under such conditions that propagation is marginal at best and even if you hypothetically increased to 2000 watts, it is simply Mother Nature over power. All this is based on my own data, my own operating conditions. You and Howard and all others doing what we do will all be different. There are no absolute answers as all are operating conditions are different and no solution will be the same for all.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3700 Posts
  • 1550 Reply Likes
@Pat

I tend to like to pursue the very weak ones as those invariably are the interesting DX.. 

Probably 40% of my Q's are -22 receive or worse.   They are usually the little guys in small countries, running crappy antennas, using signal link type sound card interfaces on legacy radios.  Hardly anyone far away gets back to them and their receive situations are so poor, that you need to be at least -16 for them to hear you.

I have a SteppIR Monster (13dBi) @85' about 600'ASL about a mile from the Pacific with an unobstructed view to the west.  Running 1.5KW (albeit my SPE will only sustain 1.2KW),, I have an ERP in excess of 10KW.   Yet still those weak but interesting Q's have a hard time copying me or anyone else.

So while there are many factors such as propagation, etc that weigh in on a successful Q, POWER HELPS A LOT
Photo of Pat - WH6HI

Pat - WH6HI

• 337 Posts
  • 62 Reply Likes
Howard, I do not disagree with you on that, I have also worked many of those type of stations. For myself, I do well with my Log at 42 feet and elevation of 480 feet. The 5000 foot mountain in back of me still gives me a fairly low take off angle. Enough to do Europe ok. But to work anyone on any band I need at least 2400 miles of range. So far on 80 meters I see a max range of about 9000 miles, even with a apex of only 30 feet. As for the other bands have done long path many times . To add, my reason for not going with the PGXL is mostly financial, balanced with acquired capability. Good luck on your DX quest....