Why would someone buy one of these radios? I don't know anything about them! What do you guys do? How do these radios help? Thanks!

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
 I don't know anything about these thing! Why would you buy one of these? What do you guys do? How do these radios help? Why this specific brand? Thanks! Tom.
Photo of Tom

Tom

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of KC2QMA_John

KC2QMA_John

• 781 Posts
  • 326 Reply Likes
SPAM ALERT!
(Edited)
Photo of Tom

Tom

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Actually, I'm a writer looking to gain insight into this industry for a client. Not spam! 
Photo of spopiela

spopiela

• 82 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
whose your client?
Photo of Tom

Tom

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Not a competitor. Far from it infact. Unfortunately I can't say. 
Photo of Alan W4FBI

Alan W4FBI

• 267 Posts
  • 31 Reply Likes
Google is your friend. Look up Ham Radio Operators, Software Defined Radios, etc
Photo of Tom

Tom

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Google is my friend, but I'm looking for insight from customers themselves
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1338 Posts
  • 501 Reply Likes
I might add:

Ham Radio is a hobby.  Most of us do it for fun.  It is a significant investment both financially and in personal effort to be involved in the hobby.  You must be licensed.  To be licensed you must pass some tests.

The radios allow us to connect and communicate over the air in many different ways.  Distance of communication is virtually unlimited.

Many ham radio operators use their skills and radios to pass emergency information.  This is being done right now for many of the hard hit hurricane places.  The messages are usually about health and well being and sometimes can connect the remote party to a relative when phones and internet are down.

These radios, specifically, are "software defined radios" which means basically they use a combination of firmware and software to make the radio work.  The benefit of these over some other types of radios are many fold but mostly they can be easily updated and offer enhanced abilities like the ability to visually see the radio spectrum on your display which allows you to find signals.

Hope this helps!
Photo of Tom

Tom

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thankyou so much! So it's just a hobby that could potentially be useful if all else fails? Why spend so much on fancy equipment? Reliable?
Photo of k0eoo

k0eoo

• 626 Posts
  • 87 Reply Likes
I'd be careful answering this guy's questions without knowing who his customer is....  This kind of marketing research is commonly done by competitors to understand how best to compete.

I'm not saying that's the case here but my alarms went off with the way he asked the question.
Photo of Tom

Tom

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
You really think I'd try and get an insight into my competitors by asking basic questions on a message board? In fact, I'm not working for a competitor. Far from it, really! 

All I want is information from customers, and basic details about the products. Not blueprints! I'm genuinely just interested in why someone would spend so much money on a radio in particular. What benefit does this have over a mobile phone, or other radios. 

If you wouldnt mind telling me why you enjoy this hobby, why you invest in this particular product, and how you got into it - that'd be great!
(Edited)
Photo of k0eoo

k0eoo

• 626 Posts
  • 87 Reply Likes
Very good Tom, several of the Ham's on the community have been doing a very good job of answering your question and I'm sure others will as well.

I for one could not imagine a life without Ham Radio, not for me anyway, having been a ham since I was 14, now I'm 72...  For one, it kept me out of mischief, something my folks were thankful for I bet.....
Photo of KC2QMA_John

KC2QMA_John

• 781 Posts
  • 326 Reply Likes
Looks like you all have taken the bait.
Good luck in the contest.
Photo of Mike - VE3CKO

Mike - VE3CKO, Elmer

• 541 Posts
  • 274 Reply Likes
Well, it's no secret, (or maybe it is), but the features found in the Flexradios and SmartSDR when put at the hands of someone who knows how to use said features gives the operator a huge advantage over the guy using a plain jane knob radio. Period.

I can't get the hook out of my cheek. Anyone have a pair of needle nose pliers handy?
(Edited)
Photo of Gary Johnson

Gary Johnson

• 104 Posts
  • 31 Reply Likes
Why an SDR radio??  Because I can both hear and see the radio signals.
Photo of Andrew Russell

Andrew Russell

• 277 Posts
  • 44 Reply Likes
Tom,
There are 2 themes here.

Ham radio is an internationally regulated scientific hobby that was part of the very early days when radio was first discovered and invented. Individuals must have a required level of knowledge to access spectrum for transmission and not negatively impact the enjoyment of other amateurs ( from the Latin amat or for the love of it.)

One of our local hams has embraced the hobby later in life and is very active.
His story from work uses the analogy of fishing.

Work colleagues may say "why do you do this, what's the point?"
He replies "do you like fishing" the response "I love it, got the boat, got the rods, got the GPS and echo sounder and go out whenever I can".
Then he asks "can't you just buy fish from the shop"
The reply "Awe that's no fun!"

So Its electromagnetic "fish" with electromagnetic "rods".

These FlexRadio SDRs are like the latest rods and fastest boats you can get to find and catch the EM fish and are much cheaper than a real boat.

Andrew
(Edited)