Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Why No XLR Input on 6600?

Jerry Gardner
Jerry Gardner Member
edited November 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
When I got my 6500 I thought, wow!, finally a rig with an XLR mic input. Why has Flex removed that option from the 6600? The back panel is much larger than the back panel on the 6500/6700, so why not use the same type of combination XLR/1/4" balanced mic connector?

Was it a matter of cost or is there some technical reason?

Answers

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    When this was initially discussed, it was in fact a cost issue. Specifically cost of manufacture and assembly.  The radios were initially slated to have only the 1/8" connectors, but eventually they decided to also add the 1/4" TRS connector. 

The 1/4" TRS connector is electrically the same as the XLR for balanced audio. The 1/8" is pseudo balanced. Field testing has shown it to work very well. One user reported that pseudo balanced was better than balanced, but I don't think that was done with instruments, just anecdotal reports. 
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    The Balanced TRS connector was key in my decision in going from my 6500 to 6600.
  • W7NGA_2
    W7NGA_2 Member
    edited January 2018
    Nah .. the TRS on the 6500 is also balanced.

W7NGA dan
    Seaside, Oregon
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    "Nah .. the TRS on the 6500 is also balanced."

Yes I know but if the new 6600 did not get a Balanced AF input I may have just kept my 6500 or went to the 6700.
  • Jerry Gardner
    Jerry Gardner Member
    edited January 2018
    A combo XLR-TRS connector is about three bucks in quantity. That was really an issue on a $5000 radio?
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Assembly cost of said component likely adds up since it has to be **** on to the chassis. 
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018

I'm just thankful that FRS added the Balanced input to the final design. I don't mind that its 1/4" TRS as long as it's balanced connection.

Sure I would have preferred an XLR connector as it’s a better mechanical connection but the 1/4” TRS connector will work just fine for me as I don't plan on hanging my radio from the mic input ;)
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    People are not considering that Flex worked out the production cost right to the cost of each **** used in order to make the product very price competitive were competition is having trouble competing. They were aiming at a very narrow price point and made it happen.
  • Jerry Gardner
    Jerry Gardner Member
    edited January 2018
    Do you know that for a fact or is that pure speculation?
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    It was stated publicly that they chose the connectors to keep the cost down. It’s basically the difference between pick and place robots adding one more component to the board versus an extra manual assembly step that must be done by a human.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.