Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Why I chose Power Genius XL & First Impressions

Options
2»

Comments

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    With the harmonic filter in PGXL cleaning everything up out side the set band pass, the radio and Amp together does indeed transmit at least 40db down. I have seen it on Dave's signal when his signal reaches S10 he his very very clean. that is around -40 at s10. So is is not impossible as we have seen.

Flex has already said that APD is on their list to add into SSDR softwar as the hardware is already ready.
    But because we are acceptable now and not causing problems to others,,no need to rush.
    For me? I would also like Flex to continue with more ground breaking features they have done and have planned.
    Pure signal would be really nice to have yes,,I want it. But the way things are right now I'm happy knowing my transmit is clean.

Oh and I notice other companies other Anan who have SDR's in there line up have no plans at all to implement APD, And there sales are doing well.
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    @Dave

>> the PG XL is cleaner than other LDMOS amps due to the higher biasing <<

OH, you have a test of the PGXL ? Or better much better a PA comparison ? Please show us !

73 Chris
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Chris. I did mention the German Kit amp you are involved with. You bias the BLF189s at 5 amps and it runs very clean, probably better than the PG XL which is a pair of NXP150H @ 4 amps. My observations with other LDMOS amps include the Elecraft KPa 1500 which I have seen theee on the air. While I do not know what bias they use of three people I know who have them one is clean running around 800 watts (his normal output) and two were not as clean with comparative signal strength (both driven by non-SDR radios). The single device LDMOS device amps appear to not be as clean at their rates power out. I can attest the SPE 1.3k/fa @ 1300 watts is not as clean as the PG XL @ 1500 watts. This is due to a number of factors. I have not lab measurements but just my observations. Again, your RF Kit 2k+ is very clean. Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.