Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Why does the panadapter show the location I'm listening to, 100k off from where the yellow line is l

Richard Adkins
Richard Adkins Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
This isn't a big deal, more of a curiosity but, why does the panadapter show the station I'm listening too 100k away from the yellow line? I know I can drag that little space closed, I'm just curious why it defaults to the gap?

Rick - K5RHA

Answers

• Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Because your receive locut passband filter is set to 100. hold your mouse cursor down by the scale and you will see a tool for dragging it.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    The highlighted area shows the extent of your audio passband (width).
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
  • Richard Adkins
    Richard Adkins Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    How do I change this if not in Radio Setup under Rx?
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    It is not in radio settings it is the receiver passband filter setting as shown in the pic by Larrry you also have a transmitter filter as well which will determine the width of your. transmitted audio.
  • John - AI4FR
    John - AI4FR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I think it does it because many SSB transmissions cut off the signal there. If nothing is transmitted in that 100hz slot, all you'll add is noise if you open it up. Watch the transmitted SSB signals to decide if you want to open it.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Correct... The colored band is showing your exact RX filter coverage.
    The thin yellow line is your "zero-beat" or SSB "carrier" frequency.

You can see the effect as you change your RX filter bandwidth.

By the way, that is not 100K, but 100 Hz (or 100 cycles per second in us OLD guy's language.) 
    100KHz would indeed be a serious discrepancy.

Ken - NM9P
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Rick

It defaults to eliminating 0 Hz to 100 Hz because those audio frequencies contain the least useful, speech information. But may have an effect on what the AGC is trying to level.   But you can override that default easily. I often clean it up further by eliminating 0 Hz to 200 Hz when working SSB. Then I can raise the volume of the speech portion without over emphasizing the bassier content and whatever band noise that might muddy up what I hear.

Once you figure out what your own filter preferences, save them to a global profile, and the the profile will override those defaults for you automatically, if your reload and then run using that profile. 

#FlexRadio IRC chat

For real-time discussions

SDRgadgets

User created documentation.
               Volunteer!!

73, Jay - NO5J

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    You will appreciate that even more when you are trying to copy what I call the "Super-Bass" guys when they are weak....  All bass, no articulation frequencies = NO COPY on weak signals!  But if I slide the RX low-cut frequency up to 150-300, depending upon the station then all is good!  (Or at least better)...

The neat thing about the graphic display is that you can zoom in and see their excess Bass peaks and watch as you filter them out.  You can tell when your filter low end custs off the super-bass.

Ken - NM9P
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Ken, this is what makes FLEX so NEAT, lots of flexibility and Visual Feedback on what is going on!! After 3 months with my 6600M, still learning all about its capabilities!! I am glad the FLEX is complicated!! Makes all of this just that more FUN!!!! If I wanted Simplicity, well they make radios that are simple!! LOL

• Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    WOW!!! I have a pair of those without the 7-segment display. I think there were 3(?) crystals you could install for your favorite channels. 
  • Craig Williams
    Craig Williams Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I still have one.

• [Deleted User]
    edited April 2020
    That gap is NOT 100k it is 100hz as to where one side of your filter is set
  • Richard Adkins
    Richard Adkins Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Yip, I figured that soon after typing it. lol  
  • Richard Adkins
    Richard Adkins Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I've just been modifying my settings in the EQ to get the xmit and rcv sounds I like. Looking at the panadapter on xmit to see how it's going out and, of course, asking how I sound once in a while.

It's all slowly coming together. 
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    While we are here, if you do digital stuff like PSK or FT9, you should use Digu or Digl. That will bypass the equalizer, because for the Digital stuff, you don't want modified sound. Have fun!
  • Rick  WN2C
    Rick WN2C Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Actually is it 500 Hz. It is approximately half way between 14272 and 14273 making it 500 hz of bottom end of the voice signal. Click on the flag where it says USB and the drop down will open. Select the bandwidth you like and it will fill in. Set you mouse cursor on the bottom of the slice as in Larry's w8lll's pic and it will show you the low cut and the high cut of your receive bandwidth.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.