Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Why cant Maestro function at the same as SmartSDR Software on the PC?

Maestro Purchases remorse

Answers

• Donovan van Loggerenberg
    edited February 2018

There are 2 functions you cannot select from the Maestro, then you have to first deactivate the Maestro go into SmartSDR, once activated, turn software off and restart Maestro.

Why can't Maestro and SmartSDR not be used at the same time? How dumb is that?

You cannot select de select VOX from the Maestro.

You cannot select Monitor (of TX) from the Maestro.

URRRRR

Donovan

ZS2DL

• GI4FZD
    GI4FZD Member
    edited April 2017
    You can select vox on the tx menu and Monitor from the tx menu or am I misunderstanding.
    Cheers Paul
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    To run both Maestro and SSDR at the same time requires that the radio serve support more than one instance simultaneously. That feature is on the desired feature to do list. As per FRS policy we have no idea when that will happen.
  • Brad Adams (N4PYI)
    Brad Adams (N4PYI) Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    VOX select aND TX monitor select are in the TX menu of the Maestro. I use them everyday.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    So, you see? It's not dumb after all, it is in progress.
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Two methods I use to enable/disable VOX:
    1. Press the TX Menu knob, it's the Mic/Power knob, this brings up TX Menu then you the touch screen and touch VOX to enable/disable
    2. You also assign VOX to a function button for example F3 and tap F3 to enable/disable (page 113 of manual).
    To enable/disable MON, you hit the TX Menu knob and using the touch screen, touch MON. To clear the TX Menu simply press the knob again.

My understanding is the ability to use SmartSDR on a PC and on a Maestro simultaneously is a feature that will be added in the future, my guess (and it's only a guess) when WAN support is released in v2.0 or shortly after.

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Since I'm still using DDUtil for both Auto-Drive and Macros, it's always running in the background. 

I use a DDUtil macro to toggle VOX on and off, With either SmartSDR or Maestro. I use a Genovation keypad to trigger the DDUtil macro.

Of course, this does still require access to the PC running DDUtil,  so it may not be an option depending on how you intend to use Maestro.

SDRgadgets

#FlexRadio IRC chat

73, Jay - NO5J

• KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    As Howard mentioned, as per FRS policy we have no idea when that will happen.  I for one find waiting for something that may or may not happen, quite frustrating.  It sure would be nice to know what FRS has planned for SSDR , if anything, beyond the WAN feature.  Even an un-dated Roadmap would be better than nothing.   
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019

Sorry... but the last time FRS posted a Roadmap they were thoroughly roasted by the Whiners.... it got so bad that they decided to no longer publish their plans... this had a significant beneficial effect of reducing the volume on this community...everyone was happier to be rid of the Whiners...

Personally I hope they do NOT publish a Roadmap again as I do not want to wade through pages and pages of whiny emails ever again....

Anyways.. its like my Tesla.. updates happen with little or no notice .. the car (like the Flex) keeps on getting better and I am always pleasantly surprised to get the free updates when they happen....

• Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    In today's internet age, with the tragendy of the commons effect being standard, any roadmap at all will be descended on like killer whales on a harbor seal. 
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    But if they start a road map, do you think anyone would ask, when is this feature coming out? The reasons for not doing a road map of any kind is are well remembered.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    When will time travel into the future and then back to the present be possible??
    I wouldn't expect an accurate roadmap until then.image

SDRgadgets

#FlexRadio IRC chat

73, Jay - NO5J

• Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited January 2017
    Based on some comments of the community (not the company mind you, but the community) Flex Radio is a company that can't take a little criticism, can't manage a roadmap, can't deal with the public and can't keep a customer happy unless they keep them in the dark.

Poor Flex Radio Systems. I wonder how they bear all the whining. Any way... it's like my Tesla... Brotha.

Personally I hope they do NOT publish a Roadmap again as I don't want to put anyone through the trouble of wading through pages and pages of whiny emails ever again... It's so hard to deal with enthusiasm.

Kevin K4VD
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    When did "When will?" become a valid question anyway. "When did?" is valid. "When will?" sounds a lot like "Are we there yet?"image

SDRgadgets

#FlexRadio IRC chat

73, Jay - NO5J

• Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I remember the roadmap methodology from the late 90's. It was a bunch of **** then as it is now. Another favorite phrase was exceed expectations.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    There's a lot to manage to allow simultaneous multiple copies of SmartSDR operate a single radio. I am sure there is professional terminology for the priority-hierarchy matrix that has to happen at every level of interaction. Non-trivial in a a generalized release. Perhaps a Master/**** configuration would work easier and earlier? 73 Steve K9ZW
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I cannot even imagine why someone would want that. But I guess that the fellow expected that, as he is now sorry he bought the Maestro.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Michael With advancing age some of us are getting visually challenged. I want the big screen +Maestro control panel.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    When Maestro was introduced at Dayton Steve said there would eventually be a version that worked concurrently with SSDR as a control surface. It would be a sort of a FlexControl on steroids. And it would display some additional radio data on the Maestro screen as well as have some new "touch" buttons. I haven't bought a Maestro as the control surface software is how I would use it. So the question is whether this is still planned and when it might materialize. As pointed out earlier, we'll have to wait and see. In the mean time 2 FlexControls and 3 big 27 inch monitors for SSDR is working nicely. Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I hear ya Howard! But to me once I have the big screens, the little Maestro just pales - I always thought of it as the Flex for people who hate computers. Just a couple G for less features. I tried a Maestro once, I liked it. But it just wasn't the direction I was heading. 

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Knobs are definitely fasterfor contestimg.
    edited January 2017

Thanks for the info. I am not a Whiner, but guess I was expecting what I saw on the Demo video. SMARTSDR running in the background and unplugging Maestro and walking around with it.

I have managed to get work arounds most of my disappointments, however one thing I still need help with is that the Maestro loses my network quite a lot and when running a pileup can get rather concerning. It does not drop but gets so weak that there is massive audio lag and it crackles and pops like Kelloggs rice chrispies!

I wonder if anyone has similar issues.

As the crow flies the Maestro is about 3 m from my router and has two walls between it and the  router. Router has 2 dual 5db gain antennas.

Can 2.4Ghz wireless keyboards and Mice cause interference? to the Maestro?

Regards

Donovan

ZS2DL

• Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Donovan, you can look into the next thread where i hope you can find answer in details on your question here at beginning :  Why, When -> https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/udp-stream-api-changes
    edited January 2017

Thanks Sergey.

It is a massive learning curve, and all info very helpful except each thread makes me go learn something new again.

• Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Donovan you are right and quickly - in analog Radio you should have different cables for connections, in virtual/digital/IP world we need to identify sources and destinations as well with adresses and ports.

P.S. this is one of the most wanted feature for such great Radio
    edited January 2017

Absolutely, no question it is a great radio but when you spend so much money on an investment you would want it to work the way it can...Hi Hi.

I will carry on using my TS990S as main radio until this unit can be sorted by the software experts.

• Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    With you Donovan, however investment always in relation to profit but here just a hoppy :-)  (just kidding), well My Maestro also so hungry to be in use in the the same time with SSDR :-)
    edited January 2017
    Sergey, I thought I was quite  good CW op but running pileup into EU/AS the other day was terrible and the chrackle pop of bad network connection through Maestro made the pileup impossible and eventually I gave up. So like I say before I call CQ again will plug the 990S back in. Also working split in a hurry is a nightmare with the Maestro. I set Function key in to select split which is great but then the sub receiver/Slice tuning knob follows the main Slice and does not want to separate, so I don't know what I did wrong, but when you want to run split in a hurry you don't have time to consult the manual hi hi.
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Donovan i agree, Maestro required a well prepared Wi-Fi neighborhood to avoid losses of the packets and this is sometime put users into stuck to find out a right solution. Case here is to be a bit more professional with Networking/Wireless/Routing no other solutions or wayaround. SPLIT feature i use in some case only - ex with RUN in other cases 2 x RX slices that more friendly and easy to manage.

BTW already a long time i use @Behringer CMD Micro DJ Midi Controller@ - https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/behringer-cmd-micro-dj-midi-controller-for-use-with....  that completely compensate missing guys with name - "knobs" in case any issue or absence Maestro

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.