Why can't I hear a clients audio when he transmits on my radio remotely

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago

When using version 3 can’t hear clients xmit audio!

I let my friend use my 6400 with multiFlex.   He is using V3 and has control of radio and can transmit fine.

I can’t hear what he is saying and vise versa.

Is this by design?

This makes it kind of useless not being able to hear the client or vise versa when he is transmitting on the same frequency.

How do we participate in group QSO?

Please advise if I am doing something wrong.

Thanks,

Jerry

Photo of Jerry

Jerry

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Pat N6PAT

Pat N6PAT

• 538 Posts
  • 223 Reply Likes
How would you receive while the radio is in transmit mode?
Photo of Jerry

Jerry

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Audio is being  passed through the transmitter, it should be able to be monitored within the audio circuits some how and routed to my speaker or PC for monitoring I would think.
Photo of mikeatthebeach .

mikeatthebeach .

• 393 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
Guess you could listen with a WEB based remote SDR receiver
Using WEB CATSYNC synced to your Flex Radio
Not sure what FRS will say
73 Mike
Photo of Jim Gilliam

Jim Gilliam

• 920 Posts
  • 215 Reply Likes
It would be nice if the remote client  audio could be monitored by depressing the "Mon" button.
Photo of Pat N6PAT

Pat N6PAT

• 538 Posts
  • 223 Reply Likes
But wouldn't the remote user have to listen to his own audio? That would drive me crazy after a while, Unless MON would only turn on audio at the location that pressed MON
(Edited)
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3746 Posts
  • 901 Reply Likes
Pat I know,,will have to think on this one
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3746 Posts
  • 901 Reply Likes
Maybe that will be a feature for later?
Photo of David-N5PSM

David-N5PSM

• 132 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
I will likely save my money till then,   I would jump at the chance to share my radio with a buddy that is in an HOA,   But not being able to hear each other on a net is a show stopper.
Photo of David-N5PSM

David-N5PSM

• 132 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
I agree with you Jerry.

also.... Being able to hear the other client is a basic feature for working together.
Photo of Steve

Steve

• 96 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
Seems as though it would not be a "receive" function but rather a "monitor" your transmit audio function.
I would think both operators need to be able to monitor each others xmit audio as in a group QSO would be absolutely necessary.

Photo of Pat N6PAT

Pat N6PAT

• 481 Posts
  • 191 Reply Likes
Yes
Photo of Dan Trainor

Dan Trainor

• 84 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
In the audio recording business we call this "talk back" function.  It is a monitoring function so you can communicate with the other person directly.  You can make it configurable option and also turn it on or off.  Turns out it is very very useful.
 dan
Photo of Danny K5CG

Danny K5CG

• 338 Posts
  • 54 Reply Likes
Teamspeak, Skype... would work.
Photo of Pat N6PAT

Pat N6PAT

• 481 Posts
  • 191 Reply Likes
I'm surprised that the MON function wasn't enhanced to handle this situation. I would think a change to engage the MON function for the location that activated it would work. This way you would only hear the other op or ops audio and not your own unless there was an option to hear both/all.

This would have allowed you to have ongoing QSO's with the other op without relying on yet another piece of software.that you have to worry about regarding compatibility.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3746 Posts
  • 901 Reply Likes
Here is a thought, On my 6500 I can place a 2nd slice over top of another one. Slice B can be placed on top Slice A. This allows me to listen on both. Then I can transmit on A and receive on B.

Both slices are set to the same freq.

I don't know how this would work with V3, I'm just thinking.. If the 2nd slice can work as an inependent receiver, perhaps turning on FDX?
Maybe someone can try this out with V3?

On V3 if the other op is transmiting, can you even see his signal?
(Edited)
Photo of Joe N3HEE

Joe N3HEE

• 315 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
Sure, but you need to be able to protect that 2nd reciever from the transmitter.  Multi op stations do this all the time but they have antenna configurations that support it. 
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3746 Posts
  • 901 Reply Likes
Not if you simply creat a 2nd slice on the panadapter
Photo of Joe N3HEE

Joe N3HEE

• 315 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
A simple, easy and free solution for now is to use Zoom or Skype for talk back functionaltiy.  It can also include video if you want.  Great for mentoring too. 
Photo of Chris Tate  - N6WM

Chris Tate - N6WM, Elmer

• 913 Posts
  • 255 Reply Likes
Im on the way out to visalia or I would do this myself, but We have some alpha testers who have seen this post and are testing some options, including monitoring DAX tx..etc. and linking it to a Virtual Audio cable, or skype so you can monitor the other side..  I would expect some to offer some feedback on this soon.. and if you are at IDXC, come see me and say hello
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3741 Posts
  • 899 Reply Likes
Ok Chris,,this is all interesting, even if we can't now, it maybe something for Flex to add later?

Chris Tate - N6WM, Elmer

• 913 Posts
  • 255 Reply Likes
I would think it a possibility but any future additions are covered by NDA.  lets do some good 21st century hamming, and see 
1. can we capture the audio as it passes through the transceiver via dax
2.  send that audio to a Virtual audio cable that can be shared locally and with another computer
3.  or pipe that right to a skype account and setup a computer based monitoring solution..  

what was the old apple tag line??  think different!
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3741 Posts
  • 899 Reply Likes
Chris, can you even see the other client transmit on the screen?

Chris Tate - N6WM, Elmer

• 913 Posts
  • 255 Reply Likes
did you see my video I posted a couple days ago?
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3741 Posts
  • 899 Reply Likes
I will check it again
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3746 Posts
  • 901 Reply Likes
That is true, the original question was , why can't I hear another client transmit while I listen. I was wondering if the radio can do this by simply adding a 2nd slice on V3.
Photo of Bob - W7KWS -

Bob - W7KWS -

• 321 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
Since some folks are having trouble conceptualizing what is being suggested above, I suggest you check out RCForb at www.remotehams.com. It accomplishes this function perfectly. I use it with my 6300 frequently.

Chris Tate - N6WM, Elmer

• 913 Posts
  • 255 Reply Likes
this will work and so will a remote rig.  but I think there is a way to do this with the power of software and some good ham spirit.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3746 Posts
  • 901 Reply Likes
Yes it would be great to keep it within the Flex software.

Chris Tate - N6WM, Elmer

• 913 Posts
  • 255 Reply Likes
Well.  yes it would.  and perhaps it may.. but.. SPOILER ALERT!  ;-) a first version of a major under the hood software release is not often going to be feature complete.  I am absolutely positive the team at FRS are monitoring this community and hear many recommendations behind closed doors for flex supporters.    but the first question, just like on any other platform is if the feature is not there currently, is there a reasonable solution to solve the problem using features that are.. I think there are several ways with this one. 
Photo of Steve

Steve

• 96 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
I have not upgraded and will not pay money for such sketchy software.  Hearing the other party is absolutely necessary in a multi-user environment. As a prospective buyer I was first amazed that there is not a step by step users guide published with a major release.  (NO I have no need for short video clips) .  there also needs to be a list of associate problems publish by Flex so we will all be up to speed with what works and what does not.  This is all getting ridiculous.  Hell, without a definitive users manual who can tell what is truly suppose to work or not.  Now I love my Flex radios and I have had many.  I have spent lots of money and do not need this vague crap.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3746 Posts
  • 901 Reply Likes
No problem at all Steve, Meanwhile the rest of us will just continue haveing fun with this great upgrade.
Photo of Steve

Steve

• 96 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
Bill,
You seem to be involved with a lot of stuff here...perhaps since you read everything you should start a list of what works and what does not work??  And please tell me specifically what is great about this upgrade?  Oh wait, I will look at the user guide and test the features
and through specific instructions then I will know what works...

Photo of Edward Armstrong-WB2K

Edward Armstrong-WB2K

• 26 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi I have to agree with some of what Steve says the attraction of this software for most hams would be to hear the client not healing the audio would be very confusing
and the group that I belong to will not buy this software Until that feature is in including myself. Hope someone from flex will let us know if this feature will be implemented soon.
Photo of Pat N6PAT

Pat N6PAT

• 538 Posts
  • 223 Reply Likes
Bill,

Why do you have to needle Steve when he is obviously having issues with the software? You're being very mean.

Not everyone is wearing Flex beer goggles like you .
(Edited)
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3746 Posts
  • 901 Reply Likes
You can do the same thing Steve, many have well documented the types of software that works with V3, perhaps if you list what you would like to work we can just tell you if it does.

As far as what I have read, everything is working as intended as far as SSDR V3 is conserned.

And, if you care to read at all, it is very clear what V3 is about and why some, may need it.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3746 Posts
  • 901 Reply Likes
Pat, really? It is perfectly fine he does not want V3 or cares less about it, I'm not selling anything. but by all means,,the rest of us will continue enjoying a good thing. Pull your horns in and stop being so critical about everything people say.
Photo of Pat N6PAT

Pat N6PAT

• 538 Posts
  • 223 Reply Likes
Bill,

I can no longer take anything you say seriously because of your constant drum beating for Flex.

I really like my Flex 6700. That being said no company gets it right 100% of the time and you need to accept that. Flex is not the God of ham radio. It's just a company that many times has issues - heat sinks falling off, 2 year wait for an amp,  software bugs, etc.

You need to be more objective.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3746 Posts
  • 901 Reply Likes
Let me make this plain.

I do beat the the Flex drum, and I will continue to do that. I think the Flex company is first rate. But like any other company there are thousands of things that go wrong and I understand that. Flex is not perfect, but looking at the companies record, it is astounding. Flex thinks out of the box, they take risk, they do things no other radio company does, nor can they. It is invitable that things take a while to perfect.

I will keep gaurding against cheap, uninformed comments from people, and it's alway the same ones, always. There is a clear pattern.

Or I could just chose to ignore them and pretend they were never there.

If you have been following my comments over the last few year, and it looks like your hanging on every word I say, you would have read were I have been strong about some things that should have not happened.

Example, not long ago there was a update that made the RF slider move to 100w with each startup. I was the first one to find it and I came down really hard on Flex for allowing that to happen and said it was very critical for those using an amp. I did not mix words.
As it was Flex fixed it a week later with a maintenance update.

Also, when the record and playback stopped working correctly I was the fist one to find that, It took me a week trying to get people to look closer at it. I think It is fixed now in V3 and it should be back ported to V2.5

As to the examples you used on how things go wrong with Flex.
The heatsinks were clearly explained, how and why it happened and was delt with in fast order.

For the PGXL, it is common for a company to spend a couple years planning and developing an amp to shipping. When people put a down payment down the amp was only a drawing.

At any rate, I am not going away unless I chose to, you will not and can not bully me to stop posting my comments.
Photo of Eric - KE5DTO

Eric - KE5DTO, Official Rep

• 856 Posts
  • 316 Reply Likes
Let's keep it civil guys.  Here's a quote from our community guidelines:

1. Respect people. Give people the benefit of the doubt, just like you would if talking to them in person. Posts that include personal attacks and gratuitous profanity will be removed, as they do not contribute to the atmosphere we want to establish.

Photo of Kevin

Kevin

• 931 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
Not sure who this post is directed to. Bill?
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3746 Posts
  • 901 Reply Likes
Thank you Eric
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3746 Posts
  • 901 Reply Likes
Kevin, he will know...
Photo of Kevin

Kevin

• 931 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
Bill. I don't mean this as a personal attack but you are kind of an instigator. You might notice that many of the conversations you join start going down hill pretty quickly. This is just an observation. A person can have a negative opinion of something but you need to learn to respect that it is that person's opinion. There's no need to get defensive. Even your response, "Thank you Eric" is kind of odd.

Again, please don't take this personally. I'm just saying things might go smoother if you let them take their course.

73. Really,
Kev K4VD
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3746 Posts
  • 901 Reply Likes
I said thank you to Eric because I agree with what he pointed out and that it is something we should all consider.