Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Why are SmartSDR CAT and DAX in Startup?

Options
Dick B
Dick B Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
Why are SmartSDR CAT & DAX in Startup?  I use the computer for many other tasks when SmartSDR is not running.  If CAT & DAX are of any use to programs other than SmartSDR then they should behave like all other background tasks and appear only in the Notification area.  

SmartSDR CAT does 28 I/O Reads and 4 I/O writes every second, and they use about 80MB.  When not running SmartSDR this seems like a waste.  

Can I simply remove them from Startup and only start them when I start SmartSDR?  

Answers

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Options
    If using windows 7, go to msconfig and remove it from the start up. Bring them up if you need them.
  • Rick
    Rick Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Good question that I too would like the answer to.
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Hi ****, you can easily do that: just start CAT and DAX before you use SmartSDR.
    If you only want to work SSB and no digital logging, you don't need them at all.
    Alex-DH2ID
  • Dick B
    Dick B Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Sorry Alex, I didn't follow your response.  What does mode have to do with it?  CAT & DAX are only needed when running SmartSDR regardless of mode I believe.  I have an IC-756 Pro3 that I use with HRD Logbook and DM780 for digital modes ... CAT & DAX have no role there either.  

BTW.  Prior to v1.6 I used a BAT file to start CAT, DAX, DDUtil, FRStacks, SmartSDR, HRD Logbook and PstRotator, and another BAT file to end them all.  I guess I'll just remove CAT & DAX from Startup and continue using those BAT files.  I thought maybe there was some other reason they were in Startup.  

Thanks to all for the very quick responses!  Great group.  
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options
    "Can I simply remove them from Startup and only start them when I start SmartSDR?"

Yes you can.
  • K9DUR
    K9DUR Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options

They are placed in the startup only as a convenience.  Yes, you can certainly remove them from startup & start them manually when needed.

SmartSDR, CAT, & DAX may be started in any order.   You do NOT have to start CAT and/or DAX before starting the SmartSDR client.

You only need DAX if you are using a digital mode soundcard program, or for capturing receive audio or sending transmit audio by other programs such as CW decoders or voice keyers.

You only need CAT if you are running a logging program or other program that needs to talk to the radio via a serial port.  Some digital mode programs also use CAT for PTT.

73, Ray, K9DUR
  • NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Options
    The question of the notification area has been discussed in other threads. I would like to see the Cat and Dax autostart made an installation option.
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Mode has to do a lot with DAX and CAT. Try to run SmartSDR without DAX and CAT, which you can easily remove from the autostart folder (or simply
    rename .old) and you'll see that SSB works and CWX works.
    You have to start DAX and CAT only if you are running external programs,
    for which purpose you can write a batch and start it. You can either start
    CAT and DAX bfore or after starting SmartSDR, that doesn't matter at all.
    Alex - DH2ID
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I use 2 laptops. A Core i7 for SmartSDR and a Core2 Duo for other applications. I run DAX and CAT ONLY on the 2nd laptop (the Core2 Duo) for FLDIGI, RMS Express. CAT and DAX are not running at all on the Core i7 machine where SmartSDR is.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.