Who's trading up?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
I've had my 6500 for a little over a year and a half and I never really thought about upgrading until today's announcement of the upgrade program. I've been happy with my 6500 but would like to have 2m as well as diversity reception.

So, who's upgrading and for what reason?

Jon...kf2e
Photo of Jon - KF2E

Jon - KF2E

• 677 Posts
  • 222 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1288 Posts
  • 488 Reply Likes
I wish I could justify it.  I just got my 6300 and I'm not sure what I'd do with more slices and stuff.  I'm sure I could spend the money but would it make a difference in my operating?  I can't say.
Photo of Tim Hill - KI6LSB

Tim Hill - KI6LSB

• 25 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
I just ordered my 6700 today and will send my 6500 back in 2 weeks, the 6700 will be worth the extra money for me.

Tim - KI6LSB
Photo of Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB

Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB

• 203 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
May I respectfully ask what kind of trade in did you receive for your 6500?
Photo of W0DHB

W0DHB

• 44 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
I traded a several months old 6300 for 6700 (wanted 2m and split transverter I/O) and received credit of 90% of original 6300 purchase price)
Your mileage may vary.

Dave W0DHB
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1288 Posts
  • 488 Reply Likes
Cool I see from your QRZ page you are a rotor head!  I spent most of my younger left as a commercial airline pilot and in my spare time got a rotor certificate.  Not much time or money to fly them but always did love them.

I did a stint flying RC choppers and what a frustrating hobby that is!   You do one thing wrong and you have a pile of parts beating themselves to death in the grass.

Anyway do you still fly at all?  I am not current these days.  Its a shame.  ATP, CFII, CFIME, SeaPlane, and Rotor all going to waste.  Sigh...
Photo of Jon - KF2E

Jon - KF2E

• 677 Posts
  • 222 Reply Likes
No, I haven't flown since the mid 90's when I quit working for the Army. Helicopters are a lot of fun to fly but too expensive to do recreationally. 
Photo of George Molnar, KF2T

George Molnar, KF2T, Elmer

• 1652 Posts
  • 600 Reply Likes
Ain't THAT the truth!
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1288 Posts
  • 488 Reply Likes
When I learned to fly a Cessna 150 cost $12.00 an hour!  I think now days it is well over $100.

I think when I did my rotorcraft rating a Robinson R22 was about $78 an hour.  Last I heard it is approaching $300.

I remember winning 5 hours time in a Bell Jetranger estimated at $1000.00.  I think they are close to that per hour.

sigh... a flex6700 seems sooo cheap now...  Where is that upgrade number!?
Photo of Rick Hadley - W0FG

Rick Hadley - W0FG

• 599 Posts
  • 130 Reply Likes
As nice as the 6700 would be, I really don't need the extra capability.  I'm gonna' wait  for the Flex amp to come out.
Photo of Norm - W7CK

Norm - W7CK

• 754 Posts
  • 160 Reply Likes
If the amp doesn't have USB connection to the rig providing a way to turn it on and off and control it remotely, I'll be passing on it.   I'm currently using the Elecraft KPA500.  It is a wonderful amp to run remote.  I only wish it had more output.  I still can't get over the fact the 6000's don't have a way to remotely turn on and off without having to wire your own switch.  While that's a nice backup, the USB method works great. Shoot even my little IC-7100 can be turned on and off remotely.

Shoot, Flex is working with another manufacture to build an amplifier for them.  Why haven't they asked the folks here on the community/forum what features they would like to see?
(Edited)
Photo of Jim Jerzycke

Jim Jerzycke

• 93 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
I'll be looking at the trade ins they take, as my 5000A doesn't qualify, and I'd like a newer Flex.

73, Jim
Photo of Cal Spreitzer - N3CAL

Cal Spreitzer - N3CAL

• 36 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Jim they have a great condition 6300 now!  I just shipped my 11 month old 6300 back for a 6500.  I wanted an extra RX ant. port, 10mhz osc input, faster ADC resolution, wider DAX IQ bandwidth and the ability to open up TX for MARS.   A big thanks to Flex on a great deal! 

Cal/N3CAL
(Edited)
Photo of Walt

Walt

• 236 Posts
  • 75 Reply Likes
Not here - I need to see an FSK port actually work and a few other features before another $3000 goes into the box.  So maybe next year - will see what version 2 brings, other than WAN.  I am old fashioned and operate my radio from my radio room.  Lets me look at my radio-room-clock so I can tell when the 'silent periods' are.  heh heh

Cheers

Photo of Simon Lewis

Simon Lewis

• 495 Posts
  • 118 Reply Likes
500 or 2182 ??

;)
Photo of Walt

Walt

• 236 Posts
  • 75 Reply Likes
This old Chelsea clock has both the green and red.  I like the red (500 kc)  15-18 and 45-48 after the hr. since that was decided after the good ship Titanic had a bad run-in with that large block of ice.  Of course, green was added later (around 1947 I think) when the radios started to have microphones for 2182.

Funny to have the clock resting on the wall right next to the monitor with SSDR running.  I could never imagine what the next 100 yrs. will bring - but at my age, that will not be an issue. I can watch it from above (or below - not sure how good of terms I am on . . . )

Cheers
(Edited)
Photo of Tom - WQ5O

Tom - WQ5O

• 40 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Actually the 2182 silent periods weren't added until the mid 70s at least as far the Coast Guard was concerned.  I was an RM with the CG in Alaska when we started observing the SPs for MF Voice.  We were also required to keep a 5 minute log (have an entry in the log at least every five minutes) like we did for 500.  I sat a lot of 500 watches over the course of 24 years and actually miss that part of my career the most.  My clock only shows the 500 SPs.  I wasn't a fan of 2182, or any other voice frequency, by any stretch of the imagination and avoided that position as much as possible.
Photo of Steve - KD8QWT

Steve - KD8QWT

• 74 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
I haven't pulled the trigger on the 6500, but my finger is starting to spasm.  I'd like the extra slices, ATU, preselector, and split IF for transverters.  The display on the 6500 looks cool, but I'm relocating the radio to a back room to save on cable so I won't see it anyway.
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1288 Posts
  • 488 Reply Likes
All of my fingers are spasming... I think Flex planned this.  They wanted us to get through ARRL November CW and then spring it on us so we all felt like gee if I'd had that 6700 I would have won!   

Arrgggh... I wonder if I could sell enough plasma to make up the difference without passing out!?
Photo of Steve - KD8QWT

Steve - KD8QWT

• 74 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Mark, drink lots of fluids :)
Photo of Norm - W7CK

Norm - W7CK

• 754 Posts
  • 160 Reply Likes
I can't imagine needing the extra slices, but the other features might be enough to drive you to hold your finger with the other hand and press the button.

I have the 6700 and love the radio.  I use an external ATU so the internal one is of no use to me, I very seldom have more than 4-5 slices open unless I'm running FRStack due to the lack of a working squelch.  Squelch doesn't work on 2m yet - at least not reliably.  It is constantly breaking squelch and filling the room with a loud screech.  When I do use the rig for 2 meters, I use the Down East 2N75 LDPA, but most of the time it is easier to have a dedicated 2m rig running in the background and not have to put up with the screwy panadapter jumping back to HF frequencies, or having all of the panadpaters jump to VHF if I accidentally move one of the HF slices out of the ham bands.  

Sorry if it sounds like I'm bitching.  While I love the 6700, I'm frustrated with the software.  I've had the rig 2 years now and still use my IC-7100 for 2 meters and while running remote. Its easy to setup, works wonderfully and is extremely reliable.  I never thought of myself as an impatient person, but I'm up in years and may not be around when the features I want are finally released!
Photo of Walt

Walt

• 236 Posts
  • 75 Reply Likes
I agree, Norm - I too want some more features to show up before adding to this investment.

Cheers
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1233 Posts
  • 478 Reply Likes
Are the trade-ins like a used car trade in, pennies on the dollar?
Photo of Steve - KD8QWT

Steve - KD8QWT

• 74 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
I thought it was quite fair.  It doesn't cost anything to ask.  They responded to my inquiry in minutes.
Photo of Tim Hill - KI6LSB

Tim Hill - KI6LSB

• 25 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
I received 85% of the retail price for my 4 month old 6500

Tim - KI6LSB
Photo of W7NGA

W7NGA

• 446 Posts
  • 189 Reply Likes
85% of what I paid for my 6300 I bought 15 months ago. I am loving my new 6500!
Photo of Jim Jerzycke

Jim Jerzycke

• 93 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
Hmmmm....a nice, used 6300 just might be in my future, then!

73, Jim
Photo of Tony Hateley

Tony Hateley

• 302 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
As usual the uk buyers lose out
Photo of Tim - G7GFW / F4VQP

Tim - G7GFW / F4VQP

• 170 Posts
  • 73 Reply Likes
I spoke to Flex about a month ago and as yet there are no plans to offer the upgrade to European customers. The deal that I was offered, before I told the I live in France was great, 90% of the retail value of my 6300 against a 6500 which I thought was very fair.

To late for me now as I have spent all my spare cash on a SPE 1K FA amp which arrives in a couple of weeks.

Tim
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3765 Posts
  • 907 Reply Likes
does that mean if they give 85% the re-sale would be 15% off?
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9186 Posts
  • 3541 Reply Likes
If you are referring to the resale of a previously owned FLEX-6000 taken back in trade, the sale price of the previously owned FLEX-6000 will depend on several factors.  Being a certified previously owned radio, we have to account for the expense to do the certification and the new warranty and the age of the radio.
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
Do these radios deteriorate / entropy? Struggling for the right word here. Would there be any difference between the first 6700 w/ hardware fix and the last one you sold? Or the first 6500 vs the last?
(Edited)
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9186 Posts
  • 3541 Reply Likes
Technically, the first FLEX-6700 (I use #7 for support and testing) with all the applied ECOs of the current shipping 6700s are essentially identical.  However all electronic components age and have a MTBF, so yes, entropy does play a part in the equation.  
Photo of Barry N1EU

Barry N1EU

• 495 Posts
  • 123 Reply Likes
Tim, do the used 6K's you take in trade get ALL the ECOs before you re-sell them as "certified"?
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9186 Posts
  • 3541 Reply Likes
Yes, and are fully re-calibrated too.
Photo of Dale KB5VE

Dale KB5VE

• 415 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
I have flex Signature #50 6500. I have looked at upgrading several times but when I put it down on paper and it did not make sense for me!!! I have even considered buying a second 6500 which would be about the same money and give me two transmitters. I will keep watching and someday there will be a upset newbie who will give me a real deal!
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1233 Posts
  • 478 Reply Likes
I was offered 75% of the new value of my 6300 with tuner towards a 6500. If I took a used 6500 I would get $150 off the 6500 price. I could not do better on EBay after their commission. What would be a good deal is the $200 fee for 2.0
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9186 Posts
  • 3541 Reply Likes
You got a great deal offered to you and you want more?  We still have to make some profit on the transaction.  My XYL really likes me getting a paycheck every two weeks.
Photo of James Whiteway

James Whiteway

• 1023 Posts
  • 288 Reply Likes
Better jump on it Bert! I hope to upgrade in a month or so, after we move into our new house.(not brand new, just new to us)
James
WD5GWY
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1233 Posts
  • 478 Reply Likes

it clearly was not a deal to good to refuse. I send in my 6300, you give $2100, you run it through tests (mine was not one of these 24/7's more like 5 hours a month), you sell it for $2700, making about $500, all reasonable but not a great deal. I then buy a 6500 for $2200 more, no thanks. What I really need is a laptop that will work with the 6300 I have. For the amount of time you put in Tim you have got be underpaid, with you Flex is getting a real good deal.

(Edited)
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9186 Posts
  • 3541 Reply Likes
So can we assume that since you are not taking the deal this is the last we'll hear about it ;-)
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3738 Posts
  • 1600 Reply Likes
Obviously Burt has never run a business...the alleged $500 is called gross margin.
After they pay the techs to run the certification tests, pay the rent, advertising, payroll taxes, medical benefits, power bills and other utilities,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,they will be lucky to be left with $50

@Burt 85% is an incredibly good deal..... you will never get that good a deal anywhere else....
Photo of Jay -- N0FB

Jay -- N0FB, Elmer

• 538 Posts
  • 212 Reply Likes
You'll have to forgive Burt.  From my understanding, he has had a career in the public sector as teacher where he has never had to make a payroll or balance a P&L book.  Teaching capitalism is anathema now-a-days.   
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1233 Posts
  • 478 Reply Likes

I have no issue that this is not a fair deal, it is, it is just not a great deal. I didn't get 85%, I got 75%.

In case you cannot read, I have no issue that this is not a fair deal, I have no issue that this is not a fair deal, I have no issue that this is not a fair deal.

Jay I worked in commercial broadcasting and the USAF, you know that's where you SERVE your country and when I worked as a teacher I dealt with kids whose father in some cases had better things to do then be with their kids (ham radio?), and since I wasn't making a profit (i.e. capitalism), I guess I need to be forgiven, right Jay?

Tim, so those that take the deal can praise and praise but those who do not, this should be the last you hear about it?

I can afford anything Flex makes. I donate $1000 a month to a 529 for another's child.

I realize I can be a jerk sometimes, this is not one of those times.

Flex is in business to make a profit,  profit is NOT a dirty word.

(Edited)
Photo of Jay -- N0FB

Jay -- N0FB, Elmer

• 538 Posts
  • 212 Reply Likes
"I realize I can be a jerk sometimes, this is not one of those times."........would you like to do a pole to test that statement??  You may not really understand how snarky you come off.
Photo of Simon Lewis

Simon Lewis

• 495 Posts
  • 118 Reply Likes
ROFL :)
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1233 Posts
  • 478 Reply Likes

A "pole?"

Tell me exactly, this time, how I was a jerk, was it when I said Flex was fair? Was it when I said Tim works hard and is underpaid? Was it when I said, "Flex is in business to make a profit,  profit is NOT a dirty word.?" Was it when I said, " I could not do better on EBay after their commission?"

Did I at some point personally insult anyone? You called me snarky.

Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1233 Posts
  • 478 Reply Likes
Simon don't you mean ROTFLMFAO?
Photo of Jay -- N0FB

Jay -- N0FB, Elmer

• 538 Posts
  • 212 Reply Likes
LOL...you got me.  Poll.
Photo of Jay -- N0FB

Jay -- N0FB, Elmer

• 538 Posts
  • 212 Reply Likes
Actually, I didn't call you a Snark.  I said you may not understand how snarky you come off.  One is calling a name, the other is an observation and evaluation of an action.
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1233 Posts
  • 478 Reply Likes

I am not sure if there is much of a difference in:

Oswald is stupid.
Oswald is acting stupid.

Photo of Jay -- N0FB

Jay -- N0FB, Elmer

• 538 Posts
  • 212 Reply Likes
Oh...come on Burt....you're a teacher.  You know better.
Signing clear of this thread.   Best 73
Photo of k3Tim

k3Tim

• 901 Posts
  • 186 Reply Likes
On a positive note - Happy V-day Burt (and all Vets) - thanks for your service to our Country.

The trade in deals strike me as very good. I'd jump from a 6500 to 6700 in a heartbeat if there was enough acreage for a diversity antenna setup.
k3Tim
Photo of Tim - G7GFW / F4VQP

Tim - G7GFW / F4VQP

• 170 Posts
  • 73 Reply Likes
This could be one of those long running discussions - 'it's not fair' or 'it is fair'.

From my point of view, I wish that Flex could offer the deal in Europe but I understand why it would be difficult for them to do it.

If I lived in the US, there is no doubt that I would give it serious thought.

Like all companies Flex need to make a profit - it's a fact of life so live with it. I think that by comparison to almost any other radio, the 6300 is amazing value, the 6500 is great and the 6700 not bad - even at the inflated prices we pay in Europe - and we DO pay inflated prices.

What you don't say Burt is how old your 6300 is - mine is 12 months old and I was offered - I think - 85% which I think is far better than I would get on QRZ swapmeet. 

Let Flex get on with running their business and lets leave this sort of discussion off here - it is not technical, it isn't informative and it raises hackles. 

Just a final point, my memory is that V2 of SSDR is going to be $99.00 or am I mistaken?

Tim
(Edited)
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9186 Posts
  • 3541 Reply Likes
Tim - have you contacted your local FlexRadio distributor to inquire about a trade up?  Some dealers are doing this on a case by case basis.  It never hurts to ask.
Photo of Rob G6EIH

Rob G6EIH

• 107 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
They are not doing that in the UK I just upgraded from a 6300 and got stung, it hurts to read on here what's being offered and the fact you don't sell direct to the UK is also a very painful customer experience. I know the dealers here will say they need to make a profit and I understand that, however their is a difference in profit and profiteering.

As a regular container importer from the USA I know the costs and procedures very well, maybe I can offer you some advise on selling or facilitating sales in Europe.
Photo of KF4HR

KF4HR

• 759 Posts
  • 259 Reply Likes
Considering most used amateur equipment is lucky to bring 50 to 65% (or so) on the used market, it sounds like Flex is being very generous.  What's the odds we'll ever see a trade-in program like this from any other amateur equipment manufacturer?   
Photo of Simon Lewis

Simon Lewis

• 495 Posts
  • 118 Reply Likes
I just bought a sec hand Flex 6500 limited edn - if you can buy a sec hand Flex 6000 for 50-65 of new price .. .buy it!!!  You won't find them .. you will get close to the flex price but the hassle of selling it ..getting the money ... ordering one.... the trade up sounds like a good deal ... I personally decided 2 x 6500's was better for me than a 6700 as I wanted to run two complete stations :)   I am also waiting on Maestro more than the trade up :)
Photo of Steve Gw0gei

Steve Gw0gei

• 193 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
Pity it's not available in Europe . I bought a second hand 6500 a month ago at a very good price and am very happy with it, but would have considered an upgrade to 6700 if it had Ben available . An enquiry with a flex dealer at the HF convention did not result in an attractive trade in for a 6700. On the positive side. I sold my one year old 6300 for a very decent price and so have cash ready for the new so2r box . If a second hand 6700 comes up I will probably opt for that although I have only seen one come up in 18 months. If not then a new one will probably end up being bought once 2.0 comes out.
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1288 Posts
  • 488 Reply Likes
Well I bit the bullet and opted for the 6500.  Time to go sell plasma!
Photo of Jon - KF2E

Jon - KF2E

• 677 Posts
  • 222 Reply Likes
That's okay, they only cause interference anyway.
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1288 Posts
  • 488 Reply Likes
LOL... I'm talking blood plasma for money to support my habit!  Plasma TV banned here.  LCD all the way.
Photo of K4SC

K4SC

• 14 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I upgraded from the 6300 to 6500 about a year ago and have not regretted it at all.  I had to use fuzzy logic to justify why I needed the 6500 for my simple operations but I like the livelier receiver and 2nd antenna for use on my Pixel loop receiving antenna.
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1288 Posts
  • 488 Reply Likes
Holy #$#$% I placed the order this morning and its already shipped and will be delivered on Friday!?  Talk about efficient!
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1233 Posts
  • 478 Reply Likes
They are efficient, have you read their manuals? Even I can follow them.
Photo of Jim Best

Jim Best

• 46 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
I am trying so hard to justify trading up to a 6500 from a 6300. Will there be any deals on trade-ins as the 
program progresses? Then there is the approval process from the finance department, (wife). Anyone 
have a guess at the difference in price?  My 6300 is around a year old or less.
Jim WU7G
Photo of Steve - KD8QWT

Steve - KD8QWT

• 74 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Send them an email.  They respond pretty quick with an offer.  I would imagine future deals will depend on the financial outcome of this trade-in program.

I got pre-approved :)
Photo of Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts

• 226 Posts
  • 46 Reply Likes
My 6300 (which was itself a discounted, lightly used radio warranted as new) is sufficient for my needs.  My question is would a 6500 be any more reliable as in less subject to the minor glitches we've seen with "bad audio" and the need to start the hardware twice on 6300s?  This is a question, not a criticism.  I agree with Tim, the prices (85% - 90% toward a new radio)  seems most fair.  What sort of trade-in allowances are offered if you're upgrading to a used/recertified radio?
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9186 Posts
  • 3541 Reply Likes
My question is would a 6500 be any more reliable as in less subject to the minor glitches we've seen with "bad audio" and the need to start the hardware twice on 6300s?  

The answer to this question is that it is no more or less susceptible than the 6500 or 6700.  Software defects arise now and then and whether or not they will affect one model more frequently that another is really specific to the issue's root cause.  It may seem this way because recently there were a few issues that were more prevalent on 6300s.  This is more coincidence and "bad luck" than anything else.

If you want to know the exact amount of credit you can get for your radio regardless if it is previously owned, just drop an e-mail to sales@flexradio.com with the serial number and it's condition and we'll provide you an estimate conditional on the physical inspection and checkout. 
Photo of Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts

• 226 Posts
  • 46 Reply Likes
Thanks but if my XYL kills me first, I won't be able to enjoy an updated radio. Cheers!
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1232 Posts
  • 478 Reply Likes
85% to 90% is a great deal
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1288 Posts
  • 488 Reply Likes
It is a little frustrating to read this thread.  Personally in all the years I've been dealing with technology of ALL KINDS rarely has a company come along and made it very easy for you to upgrade to a better unit.

For years I did high-resolution measurements.  One of our favorite sensors was one of the Keyence high end L series.  This was a con focal laser that looked straight up and down hence it could measure things that the angled lasers could not do well with.

This Keyence L was about $22,000.  I remember we bought one and I was writing custom software to make use of it and Keyence came out with an updated L series with better specs for our purpose.  We contacted them to see about a trade up and the answer was "no"... We could sell our L series and buy a new one but they would not accept the unit back at any price for a trade up to the newer model.  My boss almost severed the working relationship over that one.  Ours had been in our office for just over 2 months too so it was like new.

Anyway I feel like Flex is being very fair and making it quite easy to update.  In my case I've been offered (as long as it passes inspection) full price for my 6300.  I've had it less than 30 days.  To me that as almost as if Flex allowed me to use it for free for a month so I could decide which radio to buy.  Frankly when I look at it that way this offer from Flex is huge.

I'm sorry its only available in the US.  Perhaps there are reasons for that, not sure.  But hopefully some of the Euro distributors will kick in a similar package.

I think it is safe to say that this will generate a fair number of new radio purchases for people and that will mean a few 6300's probably available as certified pre-owned units.

I decided to pull the trigger on the 6500 only because Tim convinced me that the HW had enough overhead to support new features better than the 6300 might.  He also said the receiver is a little better in it.  Frankly like in audio, I probably can't tell the difference (like I can't between a CD and an album...) I just don't have the tools or expertise. 

I don't even use two slices... I have no idea what I will do with 4.  The thought of 8 on the 6700 scares me... there is such a thing as too much data!  :-)

Anyway I think what Flex is doing is nothing short of amazing.  I ordered my 6500 today and it was shipped today!  Pretty darned quick I'd say.

Thanks Flex!
Photo of Jay -- N0FB

Jay -- N0FB, Elmer

• 538 Posts
  • 212 Reply Likes
I believe that after the first of the year, I'll be looking to upgrade to a 6500.  I would like to re-join MARS and you cant wide-band a 6300.  Maybe a good used 6500 will be available then.  I'm still stacking my coins so that when I get the e-mail from Flex Radio telling me my Maestro is ready, I'll be able to have it ready. 
(Edited)
Photo of Mark Griffin

Mark Griffin

• 84 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
About a year ago, I was thinking of buying a Flexradio. I was impressed with the hardware that flexradio was manufacturing. I was at that time a Elecraft K3 owner and still am. But I now own a Kenwood TS-990S. I really like the Kenwood because it has the sub receiver, internal decoder for PSK/FSK and roofing filters and etc.

What made me decide to purchase the Kenwood versus the Flexradio was the software. It seems that with each and every software upgrade that is available for the Flex, it is a work in process. And to spend 3 to 7K on hardware with the software not being there in a sense is just not good in my book. Don't get me wrong, I am not down on Flexradio, but just reading the community posts with issues that come up it seems that it's 90 to 95% software. To me, you just can't have that. Plus, I will confess, I am a button/knob type of operator.

I realize that you can either have 2, 4 or 8 slices or sub receivers if you want to be honest about it. But for me, even during a contest, if I am operating 20 meters, yes I can set my sub receiver to 15 and have N1MM plus show me the spots that are there. And with one click of the button, I'm there. But that works for me, and I'm sure my operating techniques are not typical for most.

Mark Griffin, KB3Z
Photo of David Warnberg

David Warnberg

• 683 Posts
  • 87 Reply Likes
I'm seriously considering trading my 6300 in for a 6500... waiting to see approximately what they will give me for my practically new 6300....  
Photo of David Warnberg

David Warnberg

• 683 Posts
  • 87 Reply Likes
update... done deal...
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1233 Posts
  • 478 Reply Likes
There is the not posed question
Photo of David Warnberg

David Warnberg

• 683 Posts
  • 87 Reply Likes
I traded up, arrives today... Better Mr Grumpy??
Photo of KF4HR

KF4HR

• 759 Posts
  • 259 Reply Likes
Congrats David!
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1288 Posts
  • 488 Reply Likes
Congrats David!  I did my upgrade 6300 to 6500 too.  I got mine last Friday at 8pm and I had to leave on a trip on Sunday for a week :-(  No time to play so far except a very very little.

We should try to link up and test out our new toys!
Photo of David Warnberg

David Warnberg

• 683 Posts
  • 87 Reply Likes
Holler... let me know when and where... look me up on qrz...

KK4QOE

73's
Photo of Roger W9YU

Roger W9YU

• 19 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Bit the bullet.  Ordered my 6500 today.  It's only money?
Photo of David Warnberg

David Warnberg

• 683 Posts
  • 87 Reply Likes
If you are upgrading from the 6300 to the 6500 as I did... all I can say is WOW, what a jump.... glad I did it and I just got it yesterday... 
Photo of W7NGA

W7NGA

• 446 Posts
  • 189 Reply Likes
Congratulations Roger and David!
I traded my 6300 for the 6500 and am pleasantly delighted. Fine engineering and a real hoot to operate. Now, if 15-meters would behave nicely I might actually make a contact with it!
(Edited)
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1288 Posts
  • 488 Reply Likes
Roger, congrats!  I did the same as David, upgraded from 6300 to 6500.  Unfortunately I had to travel so I had about time enough to unbox and hook it up and then had to leave.  

Your comment about it's only money is funny because I think that was my justification.  At the top of this thread I said, "I wish I could justify it...", but since a nice new 6500 sits at home waiting I guess I found that way and part of it was "Its only money..."  LOL

I do have to credit Tim for salesmanship.  I emailed him directly asking about the trade up cost then I snuck in a few questions about the platforms, which would best support future planned enhancements and his responses made it pretty clear he believes the 6500 is perfectly placed for that path.

Of course the 6700 is as well but he mentioned the extra SCU does burden the CPU a bit more in that radio.

I had to take his advice and points and consider that besides my programming skills and years of working with computers I have a lousy station and probably even worse operating skills so I will probably not use all the horse power even in a 1500.  So the 6500 might be my radio for the next decade easily.

Then again when the flex 7000 comes out it is only money right!?  :-)
Photo of Richard McClelland, AA5S

Richard McClelland, AA5S

• 296 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
The trouble I have in justifying a step up from my 1500 is that I seldom have access to my station PC as it is my son's YouTube/MineCraft/TTL4/KhanAcademy/etc platform.  I may as well wait on the upgrade as whatever radio is there will probably sit idle more often than not.  But then again, I could also purchase a Maestro and work DX from upstairs.   Grin. 
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1288 Posts
  • 488 Reply Likes
Rick,  I can fix you up.  Being a software guy I think I can find a Core i5 desktop I'll just give you!  That way you have no excuse!!!  :-)

So you can get a computer for free from me and then you just need to order your 6700 and maestro and you are set to go!   It will be like Christmas over at Ricks place!   Maybe we are all invited!!!

Richard McClelland, AA5S

• 296 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
Danger Will Robinson, Danger.  I sense conflict with my significant other regarding priorities.  On the other hand, replacing a 21 year old hvac system surely can wait another year?
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
Mark, are you at work?
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1288 Posts
  • 488 Reply Likes
Yes Walt I am.  I am on a trip to my home office and I am waiting on meetings unable to start on anything really critical so our entire team is currently surfing the net making things kind of slow.
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1288 Posts
  • 488 Reply Likes
Rick, Winter is here.  Show her how warm the new 6700 gets along with the maestro nestled up next to her and she won't need that HVAC system!

Richard McClelland, AA5S

• 296 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
Sounds like a plan.  A fresh set of batteries in the CO2 detectors and I'm good to go.
Photo of KM6CQ - Dan

KM6CQ - Dan

• 180 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
Congratulations. Once you start using the 6500, you won't feel like you bit the bullet.
Euphoria will sweep over you from head to toe and you will wish you would not have waited so long. And then it just keeps getting better with every release. 
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1233 Posts
  • 478 Reply Likes
Euphoria ? Really?
Photo of Roger W9YU

Roger W9YU

• 19 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I'll let you know......
Photo of Roger W9YU

Roger W9YU

• 19 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
No, didn't get Euphoria but I definitely like the radio and the new features.  Since I will be using the radio for many years I think it is worth the cost.
Photo of Mike KM4LQP

Mike KM4LQP

• 17 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Also planning on trading up the 6300 for a 6500.
Flex really does a great job updating the radio and this program is really good.
Recent cat updates allowing easy configuration of cat ports to slices, making four ports useful for digital modes.

I've never been offered a radio, computer or electronics upgrade this good.
Clearly, whoever is in charge of the sales organization really understands how to sell hardware and keep loyal customers.