Who is using LOG4OM?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered

I discovered what I thought was a bug with the latest version (1.23) of LOG4OM.  I posted the info below in their support forum. Another Flex user was also able to duplicate it, but it seems to only occur with Flex 6000 series.

If I select "Settings", "Options", and any of the menus, upon returning to the logging mode, I lose all CAT communications. Shutting LOG4OM down and restarting restores proper operation. Happens every time.

LOG4OM developers seem to think its Flex related.

http://forum.log4om.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1868&p=10995#p10995
Photo of WA2SQQ

WA2SQQ

• 487 Posts
  • 122 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Rob Fissel

Rob Fissel

• 270 Posts
  • 48 Reply Likes
What are you using to connect to CAT with out of curiosity? I am using OMNIRig (TS-480, 9600/8/1/no parity) and haven't had any issues. 
Photo of WA2SQQ

WA2SQQ

• 487 Posts
  • 122 Reply Likes
Omnirig, but I don't recall which radio profile. Need to check that. Thanks for the idea. So you tried the steps I noted? Interesting as one other "VK" in their forum was able to recreate the problem. I'll try it tonight.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9186 Posts
  • 3550 Reply Likes
There is a SmartSDR profile for OmniRig.  I know because I wrote it and debugged it with Alex.
(Edited)
Photo of WA2SQQ

WA2SQQ

• 487 Posts
  • 122 Reply Likes
Are u saying its selected in omnirig or log4om? I believe I'm using TS2000 IN OMNIRIG.
(Edited)
Photo of Rob Fissel

Rob Fissel

• 270 Posts
  • 48 Reply Likes
I'm excited to hear more about this. Is this new to 1.23, Tim?
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9186 Posts
  • 3550 Reply Likes
I am saying you need to update you OmniRig INI files.
http://www.dxatlas.com/OmniRig/Files/RigIni.zip

And in the process of testing the SmartSDR.ini file, I discovered a bug in the OmniRig exe file that was fixed last year, so you may need to update it too.
http://www.dxatlas.com/OmniRig/Files/OmniRig.zip
Photo of WA2SQQ

WA2SQQ

• 487 Posts
  • 122 Reply Likes
Great news. Looks like I know what Bob is doing tonight! So will the 6500 be an option, or do we still select TS2000? Very Sri for all questions.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9186 Posts
  • 3550 Reply Likes
CAT is not radio "hardware" specific.  Being software defined, SmartSDR is the "radio", so you want to use the SmartSDR.ini file.
Photo of DrTeeth

DrTeeth

• 1687 Posts
  • 389 Reply Likes
Log4OM gives the option of installing Omnirig during the install. I assume it is the latest version.
(Edited)
Photo of k0eoo

k0eoo

• 626 Posts
  • 87 Reply Likes
Thanks Tim for the heads up on the new OmniRig file for SSDR!
Photo of Rob Fissel

Rob Fissel

• 270 Posts
  • 48 Reply Likes
I recently had to go from using a TS2000 profile to TS480 as I started to have issues with SSDR CAT and Omnirig after going to 1.5 and 1.5.1. No real understanding of what went wrong or what the issues might have been, but just tried a few different things until I got it working again. Just a thought. 

And yes, I did try the steps, and didn't have any issues. Lucky me, as I really love Log4OM. 
Photo of WA2SQQ

WA2SQQ

• 487 Posts
  • 122 Reply Likes
I'm now feeling very optimistic! As a former HRD user, I can't imagine using any logging program other than LOG4OM. Together with DDUTIL several components of my station operate in an almost automatic way. Seamless integration,their FREE support, and their forum are second to none. DXCLUSTER integration and flexible queries has really made the task of updating DXCC from 40+ years of contacts very easy.
Photo of Rob Fissel

Rob Fissel

• 270 Posts
  • 48 Reply Likes
I have to agree. After significant issues with DM780 during this year's field day, I abandoned HRD and went to Log4OM and FLDigi, and I haven't looked back. It's provided me with a much more stable, reliable platform that I've grown quite accustomed to. 

Keep us posted on your progress fixing/resolving this issue!
Photo of k0eoo

k0eoo

• 626 Posts
  • 87 Reply Likes
I have toyed with changing my main logging program from DX4WIN to Log4OM.  So I have been using it off and on for the last 3-4 months and have no problems with it disconnecting from my 6500.  In fact it works quite well, but until they have a bandmap I will stay with DX4WIN.  I'm using the Kenwood 2000 in the Omnirig profile.   I have it working well with PST Rotor to control my RC2800PX  and SteppIR.  see attached screen shot...

Good luck, Dennis, k0eoo
Photo of DrTeeth

DrTeeth

• 1687 Posts
  • 389 Reply Likes
Dennis, I think Log4OM does have bandmaps. I do not know how to use them but Terry did release something for the UK 5MHz band. Check out C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Roaming\LogOM and take a look at the XML files as per my screenshot.

Hope this helps.
Photo of k0eoo

k0eoo

• 626 Posts
  • 87 Reply Likes
Hello Guy,

I talked with Daniele just a few months ago and he said BandMaps were on the list of things to do so I have been waiting....  In your picture you're highlighting BandPlans for regions 1, 2, 3  not BandMaps?  Am I missing something?
(Edited)
Photo of DrTeeth

DrTeeth

• 1687 Posts
  • 389 Reply Likes
Hi Dennis,

Down to my misunderstanding of what a bandmap is. Can you enlighten me?
Photo of k0eoo

k0eoo

• 626 Posts
  • 87 Reply Likes
Sure, its the window on the far left of the screen shot of DX4WIN....

Photo of Peter Bacon

Peter Bacon

• 33 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
While waiting for Log4OM to include a bandmap, then I suggest you try out Band Master. http://dxatlas.com/BandMaster/
This works nicely as long as you are also using Omnirig.
Photo of k0eoo

k0eoo

• 626 Posts
  • 87 Reply Likes
Hi Peter, thanks for the link, looks very nice.....   By the way, in my previous post I don't seem to know my Left from my Right, hi, hi.... 

Dennis, k0eoo
Photo of WA2SQQ

WA2SQQ

• 487 Posts
  • 122 Reply Likes
I got home too late to install the new files Tim mentioned. Update is going to be easy, just copy the new files into the existing installation folder. Tonight ....
Photo of Vincent Martin - N5ATM

Vincent Martin - N5ATM

• 31 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I too dumped HRD and now use log4om  I was having a problem with it talking to the Flex.  Support was unable to fix it.  If they can't fix something simple like that, I'm not interested in paying for it.  I use Omnirig and the latest .ini file... (i think).  In Omnirig I chose SmartSDR and have not had any problems.  Although I wish Log4OM did not require Omnirig and handled CAT natively.
Photo of WA2SQQ

WA2SQQ

• 487 Posts
  • 122 Reply Likes
Official Response
Installing the new SmatSDR INI file fixed the problem. After copying the new file, be sure to reboot BOTH SmartSDR and LOG4OM. Tim, thanks for your assistance and for creating the new profile.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9186 Posts
  • 3550 Reply Likes
You are very welcome.  I am glad everything has worked out to your satisfaction.
Photo of Alex - DH2ID

Alex - DH2ID, Elmer

• 975 Posts
  • 180 Reply Likes
I work Log4OM with HamLib and TS-480 settings, port set to an extra port I created with SmartCAT. This works very well and I can use PTT.

OmniRig with the new SmartSDR file also works for CAT, but not for PTT.

My biggest gripe with Log4OM is the font size, not scaleable...
(Edited)
Photo of Walt

Walt

• 236 Posts
  • 75 Reply Likes
Maybe with Flex radios flying off the production line, more logging program coders will incorporate 'native-flex' IP connectivity.  A few have, and I hope a few more jump on the wagon. Right now, it is a real mixed bag and sometimes you can get the frequency and mode, but you need to leave a SmartCat port open just for the PTT function for digital modes.

I got the idea that Omnirig is mature and open source and is no longer in the authors development cycle, so someone else would have to pick it up and run for the glory.  Not sure if it is worth anyone's time.  Since I cannot write 10 lines of Basic code, I know I cannot do it. 

One reason Log4OM did not make it on my computer is because it needs an internet connection for callsign lookup and does not use my Hamcall data.  And I do a lot of radio far away from my internet connection.  If I am wrong, please someone have a good time correcting me . . .

Cheers
Photo of DrTeeth

DrTeeth

• 1687 Posts
  • 389 Reply Likes
Walt, the downloaded version of Omnirig I have here is dated the end of July 2015. Many of the INI files, looks like for Icoms, are dated Sept 2015.
Photo of Walt

Walt

• 236 Posts
  • 75 Reply Likes
Thanks Guy, I will check the omnirig web site every several months and see if someone makes a true IP connection file for the software.  I think the program itself is very impressive - having gone through many versions of windows without a hitch and being able to be used by so many other programs.  Truly great code writing compared to other stuff that snags every time MS makes an update to Windows.

Just longing for the little IP Connection bubble to pop up from the lower right-hand side of my screen. And to bid SmartCat middle-ware a fond bye-bye.

Cheers
Photo of EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

• 1782 Posts
  • 547 Reply Likes
I have a couple of "issues" with Log4OM and maybe this is the right thread.... it could be user malfunction!

I would like to have the antenna heading info on the QSO Info tab and I would like to select the slice it is getting the QSO info from.

Or maybe I need to post this on the Log4OM forum instead.
Photo of WA2SQQ

WA2SQQ

• 487 Posts
  • 122 Reply Likes
I started this thread because I discovered a bug. As it turned out flex created a new profile ini file that many were not aware of. That changes you mention would be better presented in the LOG4om forums. They are equally responsive as is the flex community. I think this discussion has served its purpose. Thanks to all.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.