Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Who all has had a FlexControl Knob Seize Up (Will not rotate nor does the switch work)?

Wheelin Rev
Wheelin Rev Member
edited June 2020 in Third-Party Software
Who all has had a FlexControl Knob Seize Up (Will not rotate nor does the switch work)? This happened all of the sudden during Field Day (of all times to fail). Just curious...

73, Dave K4EET

Comments

• WBB
    WBB Member
    edited April 2019
    Open device manager Delete all com ports Reboot machine
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Dave, I blew through two different ones of these shortly after I got my 6500 almost three years ago. FRS was excellent with their response. It was within the warranty period and I had worked the heck out of it in several long contests within the first few months. Tim sent a replacement that I received in just a few days. Unfortunately, The replacement didn't last long either. The third time was charmed, because it has worked flawlessly since then...over two years, if memory serves me well. I never heard anything from a quality control review about them, (I wouldn't really expect them to report such an internal matter) but I suspect they were given some parts that were not up to the required specs. Luckily, I have heard of very few of these that have failed like this. I just happened to be the lucky guy who found two of them in a row. What are the odds of that? No gripes against FRS, though. Their customer service was top notch both times. And I still wouldn't have a 6000 series rig without a FlexControl Knob. It is essential equipment in my book. Ken - NM9P
  • Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Did you rule out someone spilled a **** beverage on it? ;)

• Rob Blackie
    Rob Blackie Member
    edited July 2016
    how would deleting your com ports solve a seized knob ??
  • Rob Blackie
    Rob Blackie Member
    edited July 2016
    looks like a clear quality control issue, I haven't used mine yet ( still waiting on my 6300 ) but this USB controller does not look very sturdy,  mine wasn't even t put together correctly,  I had to find a tiny Allen wrench to tighten the grub **** as the knob was lying loose in the box, consequently the brushed aluminium was scratched up, the retailer said it was an unopened box straight from the factory   ..  :(
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    A lot of users have been using these w/o issue. My own experience has been excellent with extensive used for over a year. The usage has dropped off with Maestro in the station.

Tim

• Rob Blackie
    Rob Blackie Member
    edited July 2016
    time will tell I suppose ..
  • WBB
    WBB Member
    edited November 2016
    Sorry I thought seized meaning no response when rotating a free knob; since the person also said their buttons did not work either My controller, when I fist got it had issues with the com port Disregard for p
  • John AD6NR
    John AD6NR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    The rotary encoder in my "knob" mechanically failed about a month ago after light use for more than a year.  It felt like something was broken inside when a rotated it and the switch did not work.   I sent an inquiry to FRS asking if I could get a replacement part.  They said I could send it in for repair.   Since the minimum for the repair was about the same as a new knob - I just got used to using the scroll knob on my mouse.    
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    David has done the right thing by submitting a HelpDesk ticket for his hardware issue, which will facilitate getting his issue resolved in the quickest manner.
  • Rob Blackie
    Rob Blackie Member
    edited April 2020

got my 6300, very nice, but what do the buttons do on my usb controller ?  apart from light up when I press them ?

it came with no manual etc

• [Deleted User]
    edited April 2020
    You go into Smart SDR setup and select Flex Knob and set them for whatever you like. I have 1 set for volume,2 AGC threshold, 3 Slice select, knob is frequency. So select button 1 turn knob volume goes up and down. Push knob . . . change frequency
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    i hate also to read manuals !
  • Rob Blackie
    Rob Blackie Member
    edited July 2016

Thanks steven, much appreciated,.. but how do I disengage  a button ? as in all buttons ? re-pressing does no do it

cheers rob

• Rob Blackie
    Rob Blackie Member
    edited July 2016

" it came with no manual etc "

• Rob Blackie
    Rob Blackie Member
    edited July 2016

WAIT .. I had to assign one of the buttons to tune active slice..

sorry, just finding my way through it

thanks Steven. :)

• Rob Blackie
    Rob Blackie Member
    edited July 2016
    but yes, your right, if it DID have a manual, I wouldn't read it LOL
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    The SSDR users guide is available on the FlexRadio.com website. http://www.flexradio.com/downloads/smartsdr-software-users-guide-pdf/ Ken - NM9P
  • Rob Blackie
    Rob Blackie Member
    edited July 2016
    thanks Ken :)
  • Dave - WB5NHL
    Dave - WB5NHL Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I just had my Flex Control seize up at Field Day this weekend.  I was able to get the freq change knob to rotate freely with contact cleaner but the knob push button reset no longer works. Opened a Help Desk ticket this morning. Sounds like a common problem with the rotary encoder!
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    If you don't have it, you can find the FlexControlKnob quick start install guide here...

http://www.flexradio.com/downloads/ss...
  • Rob Fissel
    Rob Fissel Member
    edited June 2016
    Deleting all COM ports is probably a really bad idea, considering there are many virtual COM ports that we all have in place as a result of installing SmartCAT. 
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    It is not a common problem.  But being a moving mechanical device, they are subject to wear.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.