Who all has had a FlexControl Knob Seize Up (Will not rotate nor does the switch work)?

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Solved
Who all has had a FlexControl Knob Seize Up (Will not rotate nor does the switch work)? This happened all of the sudden during Field Day (of all times to fail). Just curious...

73, Dave K4EET
Photo of Rev. David E. Hamm, K4EET

Rev. David E. Hamm, K4EET

• 83 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
  • Disappointed

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Rob Blackie

Rob Blackie

• 122 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Photo of WBB

WBB

• 36 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Open device manager
Delete all com ports
Reboot machine
Photo of Rob Blackie

Rob Blackie

• 122 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
how would deleting your com ports solve a seized knob ??
Photo of WBB

WBB

• 36 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Sorry
I thought seized meaning no response when rotating a free knob; since the person also said their buttons did not work either
My controller, when I fist got it had issues with the com port

Disregard for p
Photo of Rob Fissel

Rob Fissel

• 270 Posts
  • 48 Reply Likes
Deleting all COM ports is probably a really bad idea, considering there are many virtual COM ports that we all have in place as a result of installing SmartCAT. 
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4173 Posts
  • 1331 Reply Likes
Dave,
I blew through two different ones of these shortly after I got my 6500 almost three years ago. FRS was excellent with their response. It was within the warranty period and I had worked the heck out of it in several long contests within the first few months. Tim sent a replacement that I received in just a few days. Unfortunately, The replacement didn't last long either. The third time was charmed, because it has worked flawlessly since then...over two years, if memory serves me well. I never heard anything from a quality control review about them, (I wouldn't really expect them to report such an internal matter) but I suspect they were given some parts that were not up to the required specs. Luckily, I have heard of very few of these that have failed like this. I just happened to be the lucky guy who found two of them in a row. What are the odds of that?

No gripes against FRS, though. Their customer service was top notch both times. And I still wouldn't have a 6000 series rig without a FlexControl Knob. It is essential equipment in my book.

Ken - NM9P
Photo of Bob Craig, K8RC

Bob Craig, K8RC

• 253 Posts
  • 101 Reply Likes
Did you rule out someone spilled a beer beverage on it? ;)
Photo of Rob Blackie

Rob Blackie

• 122 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
looks like a clear quality control issue, I haven't used mine yet ( still waiting on my 6300 ) but this USB controller does not look very sturdy,  mine wasn't even t put together correctly,  I had to find a tiny Allen wrench to tighten the grub screw as the knob was lying loose in the box, consequently the brushed aluminium was scratched up, the retailer said it was an unopened box straight from the factory   ..  :(
(Edited)
Photo of k3Tim

k3Tim

• 896 Posts
  • 185 Reply Likes
A lot of users have been using these w/o issue. My own experience has been excellent with extensive used for over a year. The usage has dropped off with Maestro in the station.

Tim
Photo of Rob Blackie

Rob Blackie

• 122 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
time will tell I suppose ..
Photo of John AD6NR

John AD6NR

• 34 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
The rotary encoder in my "knob" mechanically failed about a month ago after light use for more than a year.  It felt like something was broken inside when a rotated it and the switch did not work.   I sent an inquiry to FRS asking if I could get a replacement part.  They said I could send it in for repair.   Since the minimum for the repair was about the same as a new knob - I just got used to using the scroll knob on my mouse.    
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9183 Posts
  • 3529 Reply Likes
Official Response
David has done the right thing by submitting a HelpDesk ticket for his hardware issue, which will facilitate getting his issue resolved in the quickest manner.
Photo of Rob Blackie

Rob Blackie

• 122 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes

got my 6300, very nice, but what do the buttons do on my usb controller ?  apart from light up when I press them ?

it came with no manual etc

Photo of Chris DL5NAM

Chris DL5NAM

• 666 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
i hate also to read manuals !
Photo of Rob Blackie

Rob Blackie

• 122 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes

" it came with no manual etc "

Photo of Rob Blackie

Rob Blackie

• 122 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
but yes, your right, if it DID have a manual, I wouldn't read it LOL
Photo of WW1SS - Steve

WW1SS - Steve

• 749 Posts
  • 256 Reply Likes
You go into Smart SDR setup and select Flex Knob and set them for whatever you like. I have 1 set for volume,2 AGC threshold, 3 Slice select, knob is frequency. So select button 1 turn knob volume goes up and down. Push knob . . . change frequency
Photo of Rob Blackie

Rob Blackie

• 122 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes

Thanks steven, much appreciated,.. but how do I disengage  a button ? as in all buttons ? re-pressing does no do it

cheers rob

(Edited)
Photo of Rob Blackie

Rob Blackie

• 122 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes

WAIT .. I had to assign one of the buttons to tune active slice..

sorry, just finding my way through it

thanks Steven. :)

Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4173 Posts
  • 1331 Reply Likes
The SSDR users guide is available on the FlexRadio.com website.

http://www.flexradio.com/downloads/sm...

Ken - NM9P
Photo of Rob Blackie

Rob Blackie

• 122 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
thanks Ken :)
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4173 Posts
  • 1331 Reply Likes
If you don't have it, you can find the FlexControlKnob quick start install guide here...

http://www.flexradio.com/downloads/ss...
(Edited)
Photo of Dave - WB5NHL

Dave - WB5NHL

• 282 Posts
  • 63 Reply Likes
I just had my Flex Control seize up at Field Day this weekend.  I was able to get the freq change knob to rotate freely with contact cleaner but the knob push button reset no longer works. Opened a Help Desk ticket this morning. Sounds like a common problem with the rotary encoder!
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9183 Posts
  • 3529 Reply Likes
It is not a common problem.  But being a moving mechanical device, they are subject to wear.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.