Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

White line in spectrum display area

Tom W3FRG
Tom W3FRG Member ✭✭
edited February 2022 in SmartSDR for Windows
There is a vertical white line at 3.743.6 Mhz on the spectrum display area.
There are no filters turned on.
Any ideas what this is?

Answers

• Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Are you referring to the intermittant white line that shows just to the right of the DB scale at the far right of the screen?  
  • Tom W3FRG
    Tom W3FRG Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    No, it appears to be associated with the TNF as I just discovered.
    Now to figure out how to remove the TNF.
  • Tom W3FRG
    Tom W3FRG Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Now that I know what it is, a TNF, just tap on the line and you get options. Delete is one of them.

Tnx all, Tom W3FRG
  • Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Glad you got it solved.  Does anyone else have the intermittant thin white line at the right of the panadapter screen next to the db scale?  Wonder my display on 6400M may have a problem?  Jim K4JAF
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    If you are using SSDR/Win - then right click on the line and you can get the TNF options to change or delete the TNF on that frequency.

I have sometimes made the mistake of clicking the +TNF button several times, thinking I was hitting the +RX, and wondering why I wasn't getting a new slice.

The result was that I stacked several TNF filters on the same frequency.  
    When I cleared one, I had to scratch my head to figure why THAT didn't remove the line.... until I realized that I needed to remove FIVE of them from the same frequency!

This is a WONDERFUL rig...but there is a bit of a learning curve.  There is a lot to learn....and a lot to forget!  I've been playing with the 6500 for 4 1/2 years, and I am STILL occasionally making mistakes!
  • David Salomon
    David Salomon Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I have the white line next to the db scale on my 6600M.  I don't recall whether it is intermittent or always on.  Running via SSDR at the moment, so I can't check.  If it is intermittent on mine, it's intermittent a lot.  I noticed it 3 or 4 days ago, but never posted about it.
  • Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Thanks for the reply David, at least I know my 6400M is not alone with the white line on the right edge of the panadapter.  Mine stays on probably 50 percent of the time.
    If someone from Flex is reading this, can you comment on what causes it and is this being addressed in any of the updates?  
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited January 2019
    This is defect #5491 in the bug tracker.  It is a cosmetic artifact and we currently have it tentatively scheduled for release v2.4 (no promises that it will actually make it)
  • David Salomon
    David Salomon Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    The line is so small it's a nit anyway.
  • Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Maybe a "Nit" as you call it but amazing how many hams notice it when looking at my 6400M.  Perhaps they are looking for "nits" ?

• David Salomon
    David Salomon Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Ask them what the touch screen on their rig looks like. :)
  • Steve G1XOW
    Steve G1XOW Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018

Jim,

If the line moves around the srceen with the pan then its a soft / firmware issue.

However, if it stays static at the same screen position regardless of what the image does then its likely to be a faulty LCD panel.

This used to be common with high-res panels, and even more so with touch screens due to flexing of the panel.  Anyone that repairs LCD equipment like monitors and laptops (I do) will imediately recognise the symptoms.

Its most likely the LCD matrix fingers around the edge of the panel. Note, they do tend to get worse over time so get it sorted before warranty ends.

• John-KC2QMA
    John-KC2QMA Member
    edited April 2018

Are the Defect numbers Sequential? Meaning is this Bug #5491 out of 5490 defects in SmartSDR?

• Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    According to Tim, the white line issue will be addressed in a future software update, so it appears to be software related, not a faulty LCD panel which would require return of the radio to Flex.  Of course will watch it here and see what happens before Warranty expires.  
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited April 2018
    It is a software issue.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited April 2018
    When a defect, a new feature or program change request is entered into our software development management system, it is issued a sequential number.
  • John-KC2QMA
    John-KC2QMA Member
    edited April 2018

OK I see now, So since Flex won’t tell us what percentages are a “Defect/Bug, New Feature Or Program Requests” I will do some speculation.

So let see since we are currently at #5491 and goes up every day/month, let’s be VERY conservative and say that out of the 5491 15% of that are just Defects/Bugs that’s about 824 Bug/Defects as of right now 04/19/2018.

Now many of the “Bug Tracker” items go back to version 1.X and still have not been fixed and the number keeps growing. It would seem to me unless FlexRadioSystems hires an army of software engineers not only will you never catch up to fixing these problems we will most certainly not see much in the way of “New Features for Years and Years to come.

Not only that at the current pace FRS is addressing these Defects/Bugs the radios may become obsolete or another radio company will just **** past FRS in the software domain.

So unless I am missing something here Flexradio has become a “Hardware and not a Software company.

Then add the fact that you will have a new amp and out soon and that too will most certainly have issues that will need to be addressed and I would also guess that in the near future you will also have a replacement for the 6700 that also will have issues to address.

So again if FlexRadio does not hires a HUGE team and I mean BIG team of software engineers SmartSDR will stay stagnate for years with little tweaks an improvements.

• Tim - W4TME
    edited April 2018
    The question in this post has been asked and provided an official answer.
  • schacterfoto
    schacterfoto Member ✭✭

My 6400M screen failed entirely after 9 months. Disappointing. Instead of sending the radio in for warranty service I am using it as if it were a 6400 -- connected to a laptop and an external monitor.

This discussion has been closed.