Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Which version of spot integration to you prefer?

2»

Answers

• Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited October 2016
    Al's idea is the best for me, A DXer and part time Contester.
    Especially DXing, where I could decode the signal of who he answered and then easily find the callsign in the skimmer, would be the best.
    A mouse click on the callsign last worked, or after determining the DX's pattern, making the correct frequency jump.
    For me, the vertical calls  would be the best.
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    i like horizontal text in the spectrum; properly formatted for legibility, of course..

hey, 20 hours into a contest, with no sleep?

JM2C  73, w5xz, dan
  • W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    So you're telling me you want every line in this display tagged?
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    just for mults, early, and fresh meat, late...when the rate is dropping...

• EMIL-DL8JJ
    EMIL-DL8JJ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2014

I'm also for flexibility and choise with persistance per band. Depend of conditions and wish to make the choise.

Spots in the spectrum
    Spots in a bandmap below the spectrum. ( do not use waterfall and this will be prefered Kind for me)
    Spots in a bandmap below the waterfall.
    Spots outside of SSDR (like now) for second Monitor etc. ( On  27 zoll Monitor and 4 slices with spectrum, watterfall and skimmer will be tightly:) )

Thanks.

Emil, de DL8JJ 

• Beppe IK3VIG
    Beppe IK3VIG Member
    edited June 2014
    The SPOT os the spectrum is and old idea available by years in SW-2 software.

• Ed - W2RF
    Ed - W2RF Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Thanks, Beppe. Another good example of integrating spots in the spectrum.

I'm tending to favor spectrum integration over a separate panadapter tier.

73 Ed W2RF
  • W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Dan this WAS early, an hour before sundown.  3 hours later it was even more ferocious.  My point was we are used to looking at nearly un-populated displays.  Skimmer presently shows only about 10 khz over the entire vertical dimension.  My screen shot has 2 khz granularity, so if you're going to do this what are the limits of resolution when displayed information becomes hard to discern  Here is a shot of the writelog band map

Look how crowded compared to skimmer yet look how much information is displayed.  In my experience the band map was more effective in controlling freq than either skimmer or SSDR at first click.  Skimmer was more effective in fine tuning especially when using 100 hz filters and SSDR could be expanded or contracted at will and with the waterfall was most effective at finding an empty slot to call CQ.  Each data presentation had its own advantage
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

An aside:  Oh I would like to have antenna systems that would give me this choice.

When running in a contest I like to keep my panadapter quite narrow, say 1-2 KHz as stuff outside my operating range is totally unnecessary and incurs useless processing overhead.  In search mode I look at spectrum parts to see the colour of the spots, then expand that area.  Alternately sort the spots by beam direction and work an area.  The latter has the slice move to that area.

Only when picking a frequency to run would a wide view of the band be useful, and then the general colour of the spots is important, not each individual entry.  Clutter is not important in this phase.

Spots in the panadapter is still my (very personal, without prejudice) choice.

Nothing says it cannot be an option.  When there are multiple valid reasons for options, then it is wise to make those options selectable.  (Must be my Canadian upbringing).

Regards to all opinions.

Stan  

• W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Ed how is this going to be characterized?  Is it going to be part of the radio FPGA firmware or is it going to simply be an overlay on the radio's display?
  • Ed - W2RF
    Ed - W2RF Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Lee,

I was curious about the desirability of the option, the extent of interest, and how users would like to see and interact with integrated spots. Thus the community poll.

I think implementation is not yet on the roadmap. That would be a question for Steve.

73 Ed W2RF
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    when there's TMI ( too much information), ya just zoom in...and take each band segment a chunk at a time..

• DV
    DV Member ✭✭
    edited January 2015
    I for one have no opinion about integrating DX spots in the Flex spectrum display or waterfall, as long as I could turn it off.  I use HRD, not that its the best logging program around but with a CAT connection, all I have to do is click the spot list station and the Flex immediately tunes to it.  I use two monitors so things are all available to see without making the Flex display confusing, vertical or otherwise hard to read.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Ken I bet how much cod can be stored is not even a concern. They likely are not even close to topping it out.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I bet it will get around on the air by anti Flexer's that Flex radios have spots now..Hi Hi

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.