Which speaker for 6000 series do you use???

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
Just wondering what others recommend for a good amplified speaker to use with the 6300. Would rather not use those those cheapo stereo computer speakers on a $2500 radio. Thanks
Photo of K6NOK- Bill

K6NOK- Bill

• 18 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P

• 4239 Posts
  • 1351 Reply Likes
My Bose Companion 2 Series III arrived Wednesday and I have used them for two days now.
I really like them.  
YES, they seem to be RF proof!  
They sound great, are much smaller than my Dayton Audio bookshelf speakers, and the dual inputs allow me to run my 6500 and 1500 at the same time.  
It is really neat to run both of them at the same time and switch back and forth between the two of them and compare the audio.  It confirmed for me exactly how great the audio is even on the 1500!  
Now when I record my 6500 audio on the IQ Wave of my 1500 and play it back I get EXACTLY what I sound like.
Photo of Ernest - W4EG

Ernest - W4EG

• 623 Posts
  • 122 Reply Likes

I ditto all the Bose Companion II speakers comments.

They are great and I enjoy the 2 inputs!

Photo of KM6CQ - Dan

KM6CQ - Dan

• 184 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
Most of the time I use a Palstar SP30H. For my ears it has nice comm quality and does not require much EQ in this room. I also have studio monitors, they will reproduce some things you do not want to hear. But they do provide HiFi when I want it.

Dan KM6CQ
Photo of Mike - W8MM

Mike - W8MM

• 220 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
Photo of KM6CQ - Dan

KM6CQ - Dan

• 184 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
I decided to try a pair of the Bose Companion II Series 3.
Right away I noticed the sound had a color to it that is out of context in the white noise.
I utilized some EQ and not being satisfied with the results,
I put them on the Real Time Analyser and there it was. They have a 10db peak at 1.2k
I don't appreciate the accent at that frequency so I will return them. So that is my experience for what it is worth.

73,   Dan  KM6CQ
(Edited)
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9198 Posts
  • 3558 Reply Likes
There have been reports of the Series 3 having digital noise.  That might be what you are experiencing.  I do not see or hear any pre-emphasis with the Series II version of the Companion IIs
Photo of KM6CQ - Dan

KM6CQ - Dan

• 184 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
Interesting Tim. Maybe I have a defective pair. I am sure you would have noticed this right away. I was not listening for it, it was very evident right out of the box. 
Photo of Alan W4FBI

Alan W4FBI

• 269 Posts
  • 31 Reply Likes
OK, so I decided on the BOSE Companion III - WAY too "bassy" sounding on SSB. Yes, I know there is a RX mixer on SSDR - helps, but not much.  Any suggestions?
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P

• 4239 Posts
  • 1351 Reply Likes
I have the companion 2 series 3 and it has good bass, but is pretty balanced. But many stations I hear are MUCH too bassy. It is in their EQ. In this case, I just slide the low end of the filter up to about 150 or 200 to chop it off. Then I don't notice it as much.
Photo of Alan W4FBI

Alan W4FBI

• 269 Posts
  • 31 Reply Likes
Ken,

I don't quite comprehend "sliding the low end of the filter to about 150 or 200". Are you talking about the RX mixer? If so, sliding what to where? thx
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P

• 4239 Posts
  • 1351 Reply Likes
I am referring to adjusting the low side of the receive filter. You so it by sliding the low side of the blue filter stripe, or the low side of the filter tool on the receive panel on the right side of the screen. You also need to check your receive EQ to make sure it is flat, or you can even boost some treble if you need it for a weak signal. I am not at the rig right now or I could copy a screen shot of what I mean. Let me know if
(Edited)
Photo of Alan W4FBI

Alan W4FBI

• 269 Posts
  • 31 Reply Likes
Ken,

I don't have that "filter tool showing". I think I remember having it in the past, but no longer. How do I get that "filter tool" back? I can manually adjust the filter width by dragging it left or right on the main slice display.
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P

• 4239 Posts
  • 1351 Reply Likes
Click the little radio tower icon in the lower left and it will bring up the control panel.
It has a row of tabs on top and the RX tab brings up that panel.
Photo of Alan W4FBI

Alan W4FBI

• 269 Posts
  • 31 Reply Likes
Got it. The "filter tool" didn't show up at first. It did, when I double clicked on that RX tab...
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P

• 4239 Posts
  • 1351 Reply Likes
Good luck.  I love these speakers on the 6500.  I think they sound great. But once in a while I need to adjust the low end cut-off of the filter because some other ham thinks he needs to add gonads to his signal by boosting his bass by about 20 dB over the rest of his signal.  It makes is almost unreadable unless you are exactly on frequency, and then it is tough.  So if he will not properly limit the base in his signal, WE can do it with our filters and RX EQ!  

BTW, some folks have tried to listen via running DAX into the computer and having the Bose speakers run via the computer.  I much prefer the direct connection to the rig.  If you run it through the computer first, then you will get distortion and limitations of the sound card in the computer.  Direct is better, unless you have a VERY good sound card.

Have fun.  It is a great combo of rig and some darn good speakers.

Ken - NM9P
Photo of Alan W4FBI

Alan W4FBI

• 269 Posts
  • 31 Reply Likes
OK, thx, Ken!!!
Photo of Brent Parker

Brent Parker

• 93 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes

Just watched a Ham Nation video online, with Bob Heil. He's very strong about the JBL control 2P, which are about $200/pair. With stereo ouf of the flex, I guess we need a pair! 

I'm going to order/try a pair.

Brent  NB4AP

Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1267 Posts
  • 484 Reply Likes
You watch the whole thing?
Photo of Albert Mercado

Albert Mercado

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
HOW ABOUT THE BOSE COMPANION 20, THEY'RE MORE EXPENSIVE, DO ANYONE TRY THOSE ?
(Edited)
Photo of EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

• 1782 Posts
  • 547 Reply Likes
Hi Alberto,

Good to see you here in the forum!! Welcome. Bunch of very nice OMs here.

I got lucky, in Barbados, the version available at retail stores, was the Bose Companion II which works great.

I appreciate the 2 inputs so I can listen to both the computer and the Flex speaker output on the same speakers.

On the Bose Companion 20, my opinion is that having the volume control and the headphone input separate from the speakers is great as it allows you to move the speaker off the desk and place the volume knob and headset input underneath the desk.
Photo of Albert Mercado

Albert Mercado

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Yes My Brother I made the jump in to it and I love it !!!

Thank you for all your advise and for been the inspiration for my change into this amazing technology, Thanks Sal 73's

(Edited)
Photo of EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

• 1782 Posts
  • 547 Reply Likes
Ha ha ha, great Albert. You are going to love the Flex radio! Glad to be an inspiration :). Enjoy it.
Photo of Jay / NO5J

Jay / NO5J

• 1674 Posts
  • 263 Reply Likes
Logitech X230 2.1, simple, loud, fairly inexpensive, Made of pure unobtanium, last a long long time, use less Desktop real estate, has a Knob, not sensitive to RF, small size, headphone jack on the face of the speaker, sound better than the speaker in my Kenwood.  Purchased in 2006 for $33.00
Can still be purchased used on Amazon for @$99.00, Get them before they leap over the $100.00 price barrier. Investment grade audio, already tripled in value. Oh and did I mention they sound good.
Photo of km9r.mike

km9r.mike

• 425 Posts
  • 62 Reply Likes
Bose Companion 20 and Bose noise canx headsets. The Companion 20 also work great for interwebby streaming audio / music.
Photo of KF4HR

KF4HR

• 827 Posts
  • 274 Reply Likes
I've been using the Bose Companion 2 Series III Multimedia Speakers on my Flex-6700 for several months now.  I thought they were working fine up until the other night when I compared them to a different rig and a real communications speaker.  Comparing the same CW signal received on my Flex-6700 with Bose speakers with an ICOM IC-7800 and ICOM SP-20 Communications Speaker, even though the S-Meter reading was higher on the Flex, I found the 7800/SP-20 combination presented a  higher signal to noise ratio (easier to hear), especially on CW.  (Bandwidth and other settings were set the same on both transceivers.) 

At this point I'm thinking the Bose speakers might be the reason for the difference in S/N ratio, as their small (2?) speakers are probably catering more to the a broader range of noise.  (That's my guess anyway.)  I attempted to adjust the RX audio spectrum sliders on the Flex to help eliminate the noise and peak the signal, but the ICOM/SP-20 still presented an easier to hear CW signal.  My next step will be to try a higher end set of powered speakers on my Flex to see if that makes a difference. 

I'm curious if others have made similar comparisons with their other equipment using communications a speaker?  And also curious if anyone has compared the Bose Companion speakers to higher end powered speakers?  And if so, did you notice a real difference?   (Mike - the Audioengine A5+ speakers look interesting.)

KF4HR
(Edited)
Photo of KC9NRN

KC9NRN

• 324 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
I have 3 radios plus an SDRPlay. Physical radios run through a USB Behrenger multi input and route out to 1 computer, one server and a mixer that is connected to a Yamaha 2ch amplifier so I have choices where to listen and or record. The SDRPlay only goes through the main computer.

For speakers on the 2ch system they are AV123 bookshelfs, also I have a Yaesu SP-9000 connected to my Yaesu and Icom radios. The main computer has Klipsch Pro Media 2.1's.
Photo of Larry - WA7LZO

Larry - WA7LZO

• 184 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
I use the Bose Companion 20 speakers. Work like a champ, and no interference whatsoever.

Br,

Larry
WA7LZO
Photo of KC2QMA_John

KC2QMA_John

• 784 Posts
  • 332 Reply Likes
These speakers seem to work well for me.

Photo of wb7ond

wb7ond

• 52 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Me too, I use a set of free Dell computer speakers, work good for me, makes the PSK-31 signal sound like I am "there", not to mention that wonderful "throb" signal.
(Edited)
Photo of Manfred HB9FLU

Manfred HB9FLU

• 27 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I use a SONY Model: SRS-HG1, it's small in size but has a rich and powerful sound.

73 de Manfred, HB9FLU