Note: This topic was created from a reply on the SmartSDR Technology Roadmap topic.
ANF is a good example. If the SSB signal I'm listening to is strong, then ANF kills a carrier in the filter passband completely. On the other hand, if the SSB signal is weak, ANF doesn't seem to work at all -- I can still hear the carrier with almost no attenuation.
Have the ability to save custom filters and also a rx filter display similar to the new TX filter under the Phone tab.
Having the ability to move the mouse to shift/expand/contract the filter is nice but lacks precision.
The NR/NB are better; but, marginal. As for ANF, it was marginal also; however, who needs it with TNF? Thanks for getting the TNF out early.
Sometimes you get have to get a feature out to let the wider audience see how it works for all scenarios and user preferences. And it may take a few passes on a feature to satisfy everyone (or at least most ). So congrats to the team and keep up the great work.
Thanks, Al / NN4ZZ
Since I primarily operate SSB, the NB especially in the summertime in Florida and the ANF feature are very important. I find the NB a lot better with the latest release, but the ANF, after a short time starts to distort the received audio, so I am not able to use the ANF for the majority of my operating time. I know that Flex Radio will get these items resolved. Flex Radio has created a phenomenal product that makes Amateur Radio operating a real pleasure.
Everything else about this radio has far exceeded my expectations to date, and keeps doing it even more with each new release. Now that's something the IC-7000 can't do - get better/new features with a software release ;-)
Keith - AE5XN
SmartCat should better assist in connecting peripheral software to SmartSDR. I more comprehensive SmadrCAT control panel would be apprecitated. Tnx fer asking. Brian, W9HLQ
TNX for keeping us in the loop and TNX for the GREAT updates.
Because I have such a low noise location I would opt for the AGC to be user defined as well as the filter widths user programmable such as with the PowerSDR. Rtty needs much work as well.
73s Jim K4JAF
2. ATU memories
3. User-defined filters that could pre-defined, stored and recalled quickly
4. Basic Voice and CW keyer memories that could be used via existing GUI independently from the external software (loggers) and hardware (interfaces, paddle)
First off - Thanks for the more-than-roadmap deliveries of the last releases.
Improvements and from somewhere down the roadmap:
- High - I'm in a very noisy environment - simplex noise abatement for SSB and CW
- High - Can't drive CW over the network - DTR/RTS CW keying
- High - BASIC FM modulation/demodulation. In 1.2.1 the filter slopes are much steeper, I can't slope demodulate FM signals any more. Extended support (repeater tones, +/-, channel tuning, memory, scan) can come later
- Medium - SmartCAT needs add/delete/CHANGE for port definitions and, if possible, persistence
- Medium - Enhanced noise canceling via 2nd SCA with diversity/noise antenna
+Speech Processor! I am getting high mark reports in all settings!
+Tuning Lines for RIT/XIT! Thank you! Though I would prefer that the "Flag" stays put and the RIT has a movable bar like the XIT .
+ Panafall! whoo hoo. That's what I'm talking about!
+SAM - thanks!
+APF - works better than the last version, but it doesn't seem quite as good as the Beta test I had. I also agree with Al that it could really use an extra adjustment for gain in addition to the 'Q' in order to make it better.
Still cutting on the cutting edge...
- ANF -is better, but still colors the audio too much, and sometimes adds significant distortion.
- NR - does a little, but could do so much more it seems. The adjustment seems to have little or no effect.
- NB - we need two... one for Slice, and the other for PAN. (I don't know if it would take up too many resources) It isn't as effective as the one in PowerSDR in my book. (But then, some folks seem ti expect a noise blanker to be effective on summertime weather static. I realize that isn't possible, NB is for impulse noise...but an improved NR circuit might help .)
- I would REALLY appreciate the ability to key CW via a COM port so I can use my logging program to send code. I don't want to spend $100 on a Winkeyer or other type of interface.
- I agree that basic FM would be really nice ASAP. I can't wait to work 10 & 6 Meter FM with this thing.
- Needs ATU memory, with separate memory for each ANT port/Band combination
- Local USB port interface for Flex Control Knob
- Digi Mode does not have DAX button selection persistent.
- I would love to be able to adjust parameters for AGC as we can for the Custom AGC on PowerSDR.
- I would love Customizable filter buttons, as in PowerSDR
A few other little bugs and frustrations arise from time to time.
But all in all.....
These are all MINOR gripes.
We have moved well past almost all of the major performance issues.
Now we are talking about tweaks, enhancements, bells & whistles, and dreams.
This is already the most amazing rig I have ever used---SSB, AM, ESSB, CW, Digital....you name it.... And it keeps getting better!
Thanks, and keep up the good work!
I've got my rig cabled to the router and cabled to the computer, but the flexcontrol still buffers input. In short, at higher zoom levels, the radio keeps on tuning down the band after I've stopped twiddling the flexcontrol knob. This is really annoying when trying to tune. I'm running a quad core 64 bit AMD machine at 2.9GHz, so it's not a slow box.
I've also had problems with the radio suddenly not seeing the flexcontrol.
Sometimes shutdown takes a long time, sometimes it doesn't. It's been pretty consistently around 7-8 seconds now so it seems to have settled down.
We seem to have lost some gain on the balanced input from previous versions. I have the +20dB set, mic gain at 100 and I'm still only hitting -10 with normal speech. I've bought a preamp to fix this, but I never had to use a preamp with PSDR.
I've asked before, but was told it would make the radio "too complicated": we really could use a gain control on the EQ.
I'm used to seeing the waterfall keep running during TX with PSDR, lt doesn't do that with SSDR.
This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.
This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.