Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Which Router...ASUS RT-N66U or P-LINK Archer C7 AC1750?

Ken - NM9P
Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
OK Computer Gurus...

I am planning on upgrading my wireless router (Motorola NVG-510 provided by ATT Uverse)
I want to stay below the $150 price category and these two seem to be in the top running.

I want the following features:

1) Guest Wireless account, so I can let friends and family access internet without compromising the rest of my network.

2) VPN Capability so I can remote my FLEX-6500 from VPN at my office or with my iPad using K6TU's ap.  At least until v.2.0 is released.  (i can already do it with Parallels Access, when it behaves, but I would like to do it without my Shack desktop running)  

3) Ability to set Reserved IP addresses for a few devices that have no DHCP ability.

4) Potential for using DD-WRT if I choose to at some point.

5) Uncomplicated set-up.

6) Good performance and throughput.

7) Ability to limit and blacklist certain internet access from devices my 8 year old son may use (Blocking ****, violent, social media, and other sites I may deem dangerous for him to access)

I will be Bridging or using Pass-through from my motorola Uverse Modem/router and turning its WiFi off in order to use the new router.

What say.  

Answers

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I think the Asus N66U could fit the bill. In fact any Asus router could. Vibrant 3rd party firmware community too. Checkout http://www.snbforums.com/forums/asus-wireless.37/. There is even some firmware that circumvents the FCC imposed rules that stops the end user changing their locales and power outputs ;-).

• Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB
    Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    OpenDNS on his computer. Free service. Works
  • W9XC
    W9XC Member
    edited November 2015
    > I am planning on upgrading my wireless router (Motorola NVG-510
    > provided by ATT Uverse) I want to stay below the $150 price category
    > and these two seem to be in the top running.

> ASUS RT-N66U or P-LINK Archer C7 AC1750?

I've looked at both. The Archer seems pretty good but never tried it;
    I own the ASUS RT-N66U and really like it.

> I want the following features:

> 1) Guest Wireless account, so I can let friends and family access
      internet without compromising th> e rest of my network.

The ASUS has this but I never use it - I just give visitors the WEP
    password.

> 2) VPN Capability so I can remote my FLEX-6500 from VPN at my office
    >   or with my iPad using K6TU's ap.  At least until v.2.0 is released.
    >   (i can already do it with Parallels Access, when it behaves, but I
    >   would like to do it without my Shack desktop running)

Never done it but there are instructions here for example:
    http://support.purevpn.com/an-easy-guide-for-setting-up-openvpn-on-asus-rt-n66u-2

> 3) Ability to set Reserved IP addresses for a few devices that have no DHCP ability.

Easily done. I have several printers and other access points set up this way.

> 4) Potential for using DD-WRT if I choose to at some point.

Is ASUS RT-N66U in the DD-WRT database? I've used DD-WRT on other older
    Linksys routers (several revisions of WRT54G) and it works fine. But why
    would you want to use it on such a modern router?

> 5) Uncomplicated set-up.

Definitely uncomplicated

> 6) Good performance and throughput.

Yes, very good. I routinely have 12-15 devices on my network with
    3 Netgear gigabit switches and this gigabit router, and the main
    limitation is incoming speeds from my ISP (which are good, but not
    Gigabit. :)

> 7) Ability to limit and blackl ist certain internet access from
    > devices my 8 year old son may use (Blocking ****, violent, social
    > media, and other sites I may deem dangerous for him to access)

Yes, doable on the ASUS RT-N66U.

I also have a 2TB USB3 disk plugged into the router, that I use for an
    NAS for serving music files (typically iTunes and Sonos), for a local
    git repository, and for a backup server (using AOMEI on my windows 10
    box which the computer I use for the FLex-6500). All good.

I like the RT-N66U a lot and would buy it again.

- Les, W9XC

• SteveM
    SteveM Member
    edited January 2017

Ken,

I have owned the Asus router since about the time it was first introduced several years ago. I use everything on your list except 4 and 7. The latest firmware for that router is very goods so unless you want advanced networking capability (e.g., VLAN, or port-based multicast routing) there really is no need to mess with WRT. I've never used the black-listing functionality, and unless there is white-listing, it really wouldn't do much to protect your child from immoral content. White-listing is the only way to go with kids.

Overall, I'd say the best part about the Asus router is that it has never locked up. I've owned other brands such as, multiple Cisco/Linksys models and a Netgear model. Both brands seemed to lock up and require a reboot approximately monthly.

Good luck.

• K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

I have used the ASUS RT-N66 model (and still am at the Remote) for the past 3 years without a single hiccup.  Very easy to set up and use and you can even adjust the power output!  I have also used the ASUS Ethernet adapter to wirelessly connect my F6500 back to the N66u and that method was also effortless and very reliable.  VPN setup is a snap on the ASUS.    When I moved the N66u to the remote I purchased the ASUS - RT-AC68R and I would highly recommend that router also.

No affiliation with ASUS in any way

regards,  Larry  K1UO

• Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    While not in the price you mention I have the Netgear R7000.  It appears to have everything on your list but of course is a little more money.

What I have yet to be successful with is the VPN.  My problem is testing it.  Here at my home I have it setup but I cannot connect to another WiFi to remote in through.  I have to go off site but then have some issues making changes.

Anyway I'm sure it works, just my setup is bungled up some how.  
  • Richard McClelland, AA5S
    Richard McClelland, AA5S Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Just took a quick glance at this posting (since I'm at work.)  I also have a Netgear R7000 which I'm pleased with but I understand there is a newer model.  I believe this is the newer one:  http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-Tri-Band-Gigabit-R8000/dp/B00KWHMR6G/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=...

• KB4AAA
    KB4AAA Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    1 thing to watch if you use vhf the Asus router puts out alot of rf on the cat5 connections and breaks the squelch on radios if you use scanning. You may have to do some shielding or try setting the router vertical to minimize the rf leak. Other than that I only use Asus router they are rock solid.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I have several net gear nighthawks that service different areas of my property.(I wish I could adjust power output)

However ,Netgear does Not support L2TP VPN used by iPads and iPhones So if I had to do it again I would not use NetGear but rather would choose ASUS iOS 9 seems to support other VPN protocol s but I have not tried them
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    So the ASUS supports L2TP for the iPad?  
    That is one of my criteria, especially since I haven't been able to get SoftEther.net to work with the iPad.  (Probable operator error, but I haven't had much time to work on it.)

Another criteria that I forgot to mention, RE: KB4AAA's post, is RF Noise generation.  I have already had to return one TV and a different router/WiFi box because they caused too much interference.

Ken - NM9P
  • John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I found recently that there is a 3rd party that provides ASUS firmware updates -- they credit support from ASUS. So while not "official" ASUS firmware this third party provides bug fixes and certain enhancements not immediately provided by the corporate company. I found this quote:
    The goal of this project is to fix issues and bring some minor functionality adjustments to the original Asus firmware.
    It's an interesting relationship and I thought I would try and document it here.

Home page of Asuswrt-Merlin: https://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca

About Asuswrt-Merlin: https://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/about

Features of Asuswrt-Merlin: https://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/features

Wiki Documentation: https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki

Supported ASUS routers: https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Supported-Devices

Downloads from SourceForge of all supported Asus router types: https://sourceforge.net/projects/asuswrt-merlin/files/

I will cross post this message in other forums that are asking about ASUS routers.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.