Which Mic input to use (6600M)?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
In reading through the recently released User Guide I notice the 6600M supports two different Mic inputs and in further reading there appears to be some obscure differences in them. Can someone guide me in which one I should use for a conventional desk mic versus say a rack system or some W2IHY equipment?  Thanks in advance.
Bill
Photo of Bill Garfield W1BG

Bill Garfield W1BG

• 74 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of David Decoons wo2x

David Decoons wo2x, Elmer

• 1465 Posts
  • 310 Reply Likes
I am going to use the 1/8” balanced TRS with my W2IHY equipment. I have already purchased a new cable from Julius.

If you are using the hand mic then use the unbalanced moc connector and RCA jack for PTT.

Dave wo2x
Photo of Neil D Friedman N3DF

Neil D Friedman N3DF

• 246 Posts
  • 79 Reply Likes
I thought the 1/4" connector was balanced and the 1/8" connector was "pseudo balanced."
(Edited)

• 1465 Posts
  • 310 Reply Likes
There is no 1/4” connector on the 6600.

Dave

Bill Garfield W1BG

• 74 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
You better look again There in fact is a 1/4” AND a 1/8” connector. Which are described differently in the user guide. That’s why I asked.
(Edited)
Photo of KC2QMA_John

KC2QMA_John

• 784 Posts
  • 332 Reply Likes
I believe that only the 6600 & 6600M have the additional TRS 1/4" balanced connector.
(Edited)

Bill Garfield W1BG

• 74 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
That is correct, at least that's what the User Guide states. 

• 1465 Posts
  • 310 Reply Likes
I stand corrected. The 6600 & 6600m have a 1/4” balanced in addition to the 1/8” pseudo-balanced.

I need to contact W2IHY and swap the cable.

Dave wo2x
Photo of Clay N9IO

Clay N9IO

• 629 Posts
  • 169 Reply Likes
I plan to use the 1/8"puesdo on the 6600 with my old Heil HC4 cartridge. Have always had great audio reports with it. No point in changing now.
Maybe one day I'll venture into balanced mics.
Photo of Clay N9IO

Clay N9IO

• 629 Posts
  • 169 Reply Likes
I plan to use the 1/8"puesdo on the 6600 with my old Heil HC4 cartridge. Have always had great audio reports with it. No point in changing now.
Maybe one day I'll venture into balanced mics.

Bill Garfield W1BG

• 74 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
I think I found the answer to my question here, at least insofar as an explanation between balanced and pseudo-balanced.

http://www.aviom.com/blog/balanced-vs-unbalanced/

Bill Garfield W1BG

• 74 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Photo of Mike - VE3CKO

Mike - VE3CKO, Elmer

• 543 Posts
  • 280 Reply Likes
This has been discussed a few times here, searching the community you'll find some good discussions on this topic. A desk mic forces you to operate with your chair right up to the desk and leaning over to the mic. This was just too much for me with lower back issues so a boom solved both the desk clutter and comfort factors. Been there with cheap booms, don't bother. Spend a little extra and buy once, such as the Heil PL2T, has a variety of mounting options too and you should use a shock mount. The combo boom/shock mount eliminates various kinds of vibration that a desk mic does pickup. 
As per microphone there are so many choices and the depends on your budget, you are going to get some good suggestions here but what I preferred is the Heil PR-40, if that's too much there is the PR-30 or PR-781. The newer gold look on the PR-781 is pretty cool and yes, you have to like how your microphone looks. Sure it's only ham radio but your going with one of the best radios on the market so you already have made that decision to go with the best and have a good sounding station. Don't try to skimp out to save a few bucks on a microphone now. Saying that any decent mic will sound good properly setup with a Flex. Some day I hope Flex will add parametric EQing (anyone listening). 
As per external processing you run the risk of introducing RF and/or hum into your audio so don't be surprised if you'll have to mitigate those issues with ferrite and ground loop isolators. I do have a 31-band EQ that I took out of my audio chain because I found the EQ in the Flex was sufficient with the PR-40.

PR 781

PR 30 B

PR 40
(Edited)
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9196 Posts
  • 3557 Reply Likes
One of the things we try to do as part of our software design philosophy in SmartSDR is to make the radio easy to use and not easy to mess it up so it sounds terrible over the air.  A graphical EQ is easy to mess up.  A parametric EQ is orders of magnitude easier to screw up.
(Edited)
Photo of Mike - VE3CKO

Mike - VE3CKO, Elmer

• 543 Posts
  • 280 Reply Likes
Very true Tim. Hence like in PowerSDR "Expert" mode. For those of us who know what their doing. I know expert mode maybe a throwback but by dumbing things too much I think is going in the wrong direction.
Photo of Duane, AC5AA

Duane, AC5AA

• 462 Posts
  • 103 Reply Likes
Like Mike, I plan to continue using the balanced input on the 6600 whenever mine arrives because I have had outstanding results with the PR-781 (yes, gold!) and the Flex EQ on my 6500.  

Bill Garfield W1BG

• 74 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
After reading the explanations from both RANE and AVIOM it would seem senseless to use any input which did not match the wiring of your microphone. If your mic audio (starting from the mic element) is carried over a 2-conductor cable, i.e., center conductor and shield, then that by definition is unbalanced and so should therefore be connected to the unbalanced input. You of course can use the balanced input but in this situation there is nothing to be gained by doing so. I also think we're apt to discover that most of our consumer grade ham rig type microphones are wired in this manner (unbalanced).
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9197 Posts
  • 3557 Reply Likes
Official Response
Bill's advice about matching the input source with the audio input is dead on.

If you are using a balanced mic or outboard audio processing gear, then use the 1/4" TRS balanced audio input.  If you are using an unbalanced mic (dynamic or condenser) use the pseudo balanced 1/8" audio input.