Which is preferred, plugging speakers into the 6700 or the computer?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
Photo of Jim Shaw/AL7BA

Jim Shaw/AL7BA

• 30 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Mike Hoing

Mike Hoing

• 243 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
Plug them into the radio

Mike
N9DFD
Photo of George Molnar, KF2T

George Molnar, KF2T, Elmer

• 1529 Posts
  • 541 Reply Likes
Radio. Absolutely.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3470 Posts
  • 1335 Reply Likes
The Radio... as the only way to get audio out of the Computer is to use DAX to transfer audio while the radio has a direct output to the speakers
Photo of Tony Hateley

Tony Hateley

• 294 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
whats the number of the conection to use im dumb lol
Photo of Jay / NO5J

Jay / NO5J

• 1402 Posts
  • 209 Reply Likes
?? 42 
Photo of Rob - AG6RK

Rob - AG6RK

• 8 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I have the speaker output of the 6500 connected to line-in on my desktop PC and using main speakers on PC....another option.
Photo of Jay / NO5J

Jay / NO5J

• 1402 Posts
  • 209 Reply Likes
Ditto
Photo of Robbie - KI4TTZ

Robbie - KI4TTZ

• 479 Posts
  • 77 Reply Likes
That's a good idea -- I've been using dax to listen to audio, never occurred to me to use the line in connection.

Edit: Using the line-in option works great, I no longer hear the "ticking" noise that I kept hearing when using DAX.
(Edited)
Photo of Steve W6SDM

Steve W6SDM

• 615 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
The only time I hear ticking is when I get a package from my ex wife.
Photo of Jim Shaw/AL7BA

Jim Shaw/AL7BA

• 30 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanx, guys, for the replies.  73, Jim, AL7BA
Photo of Jay -- N0FB

Jay -- N0FB, Elmer

• 534 Posts
  • 210 Reply Likes
The answer to this question will be "either" when SmartSDR version 1.4 is released.
Photo of Robert -- N5IKD

Robert -- N5IKD, Elmer

• 488 Posts
  • 152 Reply Likes
I love using the line-in on the computer. I still use DAX for digital interface, but bringing the audio into the line-in port allows me to do the following:
1. Use a single pair of speakers for the computer and radio.
2. Record Stereo Audio of diversity signal.
3. Manage all of my audio levels through the computer.
4. I can further filter the audio with third party programs (Can also be done with DAX)
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 3872 Posts
  • 1177 Reply Likes
I connect the speakers directly to the line output of the rig.  This usually gives the cleanest signal.

But I have sometimes run the line-out from the rig into the line-in on the computer when I wanted to combine things for a demonstration station at the ham club or other purposes.

The downside is that the audio has to go through another sound card before it gets to the speakers which may add distortion, color the sound, or add more latency.

I have yet to see what will change with v.1.4.

Ken - NM9P
Photo of Jay / NO5J

Jay / NO5J

• 1402 Posts
  • 209 Reply Likes
If detected any additional distortion, latency, or coloring  of the sound coming from the speakers, I'd connect them direct. I don't hear any difference. The line in connection to the line out on my sound card is a hardware connection I'm not processing the audio in software on the PC, just using the AF amplifier in the soundcard hardware, 
Photo of Jim Shaw/AL7BA

Jim Shaw/AL7BA

• 30 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Once again, thanx for the continuing comments.  May start with 6700-computer-speakers and check for latency/distortion vs connecting direct.  It would save a separate computer-speakers connection.

Jim
AL7BA
Photo of Jay / NO5J

Jay / NO5J

• 1402 Posts
  • 209 Reply Likes
Just remember that patching thru DAX will introduce a small amount of latency as the audio is passed through it. I just think of DAX as Virtual/Digital patch cables that let me interconnect my virtual radio components, there is a virtual Fldigi box right next to my virtual Flexradio box on my virtual hamshack desktop. All stacked neatly together in my mind.
Photo of Jim Shaw/AL7BA

Jim Shaw/AL7BA

• 30 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Wasn't going to use DAX, just in at Line In and to speakers from Line Out.
Photo of Jay / NO5J

Jay / NO5J

• 1402 Posts
  • 209 Reply Likes
Ok, in a drag race between audio out of the line out jack on the radio direct to the line in plug on your PC speakers, and  2 feet of additional wire and a few mm of sound card circuit board I believe the signal with the 2.?? foot head start will win.  But can you hear the difference, or are we discussing oxygen free copper sheathed in prettier vinyl insulation, distortions? 
Photo of Jim Shaw/AL7BA

Jim Shaw/AL7BA

• 30 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Have it direct to speakers presently.  Need another cable to go from computer to speakers.  Probably pick one up next week.
Photo of Jay / NO5J

Jay / NO5J

• 1402 Posts
  • 209 Reply Likes
Grab a split core ferrite in case of RF. or a Radio Shack Ground Loop isolator instead of just a plain 3.5m line cord. Then your good to go. Having owned older Flexradio's I have a few spare cables laying around the shack. Even  when I have speakers going direct to the radio I wrap the cable from the speakers through a ferrite. Ground loop Isolators come in real handy when you get tired of working on equipment grounds. But you might get lucky with a plain line cord. You might win the lottery too.  
Photo of Jim Shaw/AL7BA

Jim Shaw/AL7BA

• 30 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanx, Jay.  Will keep that in mind.