Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Which is better for Remote use SmartSDR for iOS versus SmartSDR for Windows

Michael Aust
Michael Aust Member ✭✭
Which is better for Remote use SmartSDR with for iOS versus SmartSDR V2 for Windows with SmartLink 

Thinking of getting iPad in addition to my PC Wndows Tablet that runs SSDR Windows V2 with SmartLink 

Pro and Con ?

VPN or No VPN

On slow BW systems ?

Mike

Answers

• Jean Drolet
    Jean Drolet Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Use with my iPad and iPhone For my power supply

https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/New-It...

And for open my flex by db15

https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/DC-12V...
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017

I don't know what is the best. I guess there are a lot of variables here. I love my iPad mini. I bought it without Verizon service. However my iPhone has that service and I just make my iPhone a hot spot and have very good service using my iPad mini, Of course the iPad mini shines in a WiFi environment. I find Smartlink to be every bit as good as VPN and only use it on rare occasions. To answer your question, I find little difference between using Smartlink or VPN using either Windows PC or iOS. Both work very very well.

JIm, K6QE

• Michael Aust
    Michael Aust Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Was wondering which had fewer problems with Rural Slow Slug Internet,

Find V2 on Windows works great, thought maybe IOS might need a little 
    faster mbytes/sec service

Mike

• Jeff
    Jeff Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    " V2 on Windows works great."  If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

• AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017

IOS-11 beta 4 working great.

Smartssdr for ios built in logger and spots all works great.

With IOS- 11 you can do side beside with other apps as long as refresh and audio is turned off on those programs.

• Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    If you have nothing, the windows tablet/laptop and SmartSDR 2.0 will be less expensive than the iPad option. If you have the iPad already, the app is much cheaper than a suitable windows tablet/laptop. For starters, the iPad app is $50, windows client is free. Suitable windows tablets are less expensive than comparable iPads. And in the future, as I understand it, Flex intends to support remote DAX over SmartLink in some manner, so a Windows -based option might be best. The low-bandwidth mode/option in SmartSDR does a good job of reducing bandwidth, by limiting panadapter updates and limiting you to one panadapter, I do not know how the iOS app supports limited bandwidth operation - I suppose both allow you to reduce panadapter settings manually to reduce bandwidth. Hope this helps, Ken, N2VIP
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I been using the iPad app since it was in Beta It handles low bandwidth mode rather well by giving you the option of not using the waterfall and slowing down the spectrum refresh rates. I have used it via 3G and 4G all over the world ' Currently it's far superior to the windows app for me because it has Alternative Colors that I can actually see and Spots on the display that I use all the time to chase DX. While I have a Windows laptop, there's no question that for personal use and I prefer the iPad app
  • Michael Aust
    Michael Aust Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Thanks Howard 
        Wanted to find users that have both
           Thanks 
               Mike
  • spopiela
    spopiela Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Mike,
    I use both but favor the IPAD using the ios ap. The problem with much of the HAM radio applications is that providing a  simple user interface is forgotten. I don't sit and live by my radio.  This IOS ap is streamlined and gives you all that you need while using your Flex 6XXX. I pick up my Ipad and tune in. All connections and control is obvious and simple.   I just love it!
    Stan
    N1THL

• Justin W4JTD
    Justin W4JTD Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I have found the iOS app to have all the functionality of the SSDR windows app, and in some ways I think it is more intuitive. 

Anyway FWIW I use both, SSDR inside a windows 10 VM on my MacPro, and iOS on a iPad pro. Both work great and I like the was of an iPad for remote. less to pack around. 
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    One consideration is that only the windows-based software directly supports Flex Controller (VFO knob+). I wonder, does the iOS app support use of a hardware controller like the griffin powermate (?) controller?
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    SSDR-IOS    Yes
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Answered my own question, apparently it does. https://manuals.roskosch.de/smartsdr-ios-tools/ The above manual includes a chapter on configuring the iOS app to use a griffin powermate.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    I wish there was an app in SSDR-IOS for the FlexControl Knob.
    I would do an in-app for that!
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    FlexControl Knob = USB
    Griffin Powermate = BT

if i using Table i prefer BT

• Justin W4JTD
    Justin W4JTD Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    I have been using the Griffin Powermate and it works great. Just like having a flexcontrol on my tablet.
  • spopiela
    spopiela Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    I Like using a bluetooth headset with my IPAD and SSDR-IOS. It gives me lots of freedom to walk away from the radio and listen or use the headset for contacts. Is it possible to use the bluetooth headset and griffen powermate simultaneously?
    Stan
    N1THL
  • Justin W4JTD
    Justin W4JTD Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    I haven't tried a BT headset, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. You can connect several BT devices so two shouldn't be a problem. 
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    This thread has encouraged me to try the iOS app - the combination of: iOS SSDR App $50 iOS PowerMate add-on $5 Griffin PowerMate Bluetooth $50 is competitively priced against the Flex-control itself.
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Well done !
  • KS4JU
    KS4JU Member
    edited June 2018
     have used SSDR on a Surface Pro 4 and SSDR-IOS on an iPad Pro. Both work well, but the SSDR-IOS interface is designed for a touch screen device making much more suitable for a portable device. On the Surface Pro you have to depend more on the pen input to get at some of the smaller items and menus. However with the Surface Pro type cover attached, the Surface is actually a little more pleasant to use with SSDR than the IOS version. The Surface Pro's audio output is a bit nicer sounding. The iPad Pro series audio output is no slouch either compared to regular iPads which can be a bit anemic.
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    I agree, the iOS SSDR software works well through a touch interface, this thread got me to fire it up on my iPhone 6S, and the interface on the demo was quite usable. I've not tried windows SSDR using touch.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.