where is ver 2.50

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
I see the release notes and changelog, but dont see the actual software package? 
Photo of Jamie WW3S

Jamie WW3S

• 125 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of KF4HR

KF4HR

• 827 Posts
  • 274 Reply Likes
Flex hasn't released it yet, but probably soon.
Photo of Winston VK7WH

Winston VK7WH

• 330 Posts
  • 89 Reply Likes
Unless I missed it, Jamie, I don’t believe that Ver 2.5 has been released yet. Flex usually publish the change log just before the software is released.
Photo of Jamie WW3S

Jamie WW3S

• 125 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
well, that explains that...thanks
Photo of David-N5PSM

David-N5PSM

• 173 Posts
  • 42 Reply Likes
not just griping......

it is the same as most things at Flex,  unfortunately.

Photo of WW1SS - Steve

WW1SS - Steve

• 804 Posts
  • 269 Reply Likes
It's sad to see that Flex is getting the reputation in the Ham community that they can't deliver when scheduled.
Photo of Paul Bradbeer

Paul Bradbeer

• 170 Posts
  • 66 Reply Likes
I'd rather wait and have the Profile 'autosave' feature improved (I. e. Removed or made optional ). Happy to wait and have a better product.
Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1565 Posts
  • 771 Reply Likes

When it is ready for General Release it will be out. 

Badgering (by the usual cast of community members I might add) will not move it along.

The  General Release is not ready.   That is VERY simple and easy to understand.

It is some of our community members' heckling noises and "woe is me" nonsense that led to the early Roadmaps disappearing.

We will all lose the open dialogue if we have community members continuing to he bad actors creating drama.

All this is a polite way of pointing out the obvious - it will be out when it is ready.

Steve
K9ZW

Photo of John - K3MA

John - K3MA

• 379 Posts
  • 127 Reply Likes
No one twisted Flex's arm when they said it would be released last week during the Flex Dinner at Xenia.  If for good reason or not the fact is that they announced at the dinner it would be released and it was not.  Time has shown that this is the normal way things go with Flex releases.  Being critical of those that correctly point out the facts will not change these facts only Flex can do that by meeting dates that they do announce.

Unfortunately Flex already has the reputation of not meeting dates rightfully gained by there poor performance in this area over several years.  I wish it was not true but the reality shows otherwise.
(Edited)
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3969 Posts
  • 967 Reply Likes
John, check your facts. It only happened once in V1 when they missed by one week.
A while back Gerald published a complete release schedual since the beginning of the 6000 radios, he logged the dates. 
Photo of Geoff - AB6BT

Geoff - AB6BT

• 150 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Frankly, Flex is faced with a conundrum.

Folks cry out "When will you deliver..."

Flex's policy has largely been that they are hesitant to state a delivery date as they have no special oracle powers to predict the future.

Still people cry out.

If perchance they do state a delivery date and fail to meet the deadline, the same, or perhaps different, folks now cry out "FLex has failed to deliver when scheduled..."

It's impossible to keep some people from complaining no matter what.
Photo of Jamie WW3S

Jamie WW3S

• 125 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Folks, I didn’t mean to start a flame flex thread....merely asking where 2.5 was, since I saw the release notes and changelog posted....I wasn’t aware those get posted prior to the software release....not sure their reasoning for that, much like I don’t understand why they recommend keeping old versions loaded on the maestro....
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3778 Posts
  • 1636 Reply Likes
Release notes and change log are posted before release because customers wanted them to be released early so that they could understand the changes.

Maestro’s earlier versions are there so you can connect to other radios with different versions.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3947 Posts
  • 963 Reply Likes
Some just do not get it, Flex has the right to hold any release back for what ever reason they have.

This time I beleive they held this one back to make a few changes that many asked for just before the release. This should make things better for all.

Why do you even care if the rease is late? Does it effect you? Did your radio simply stop working?

As I see it the only reason people keep asking this is to take a cheap shot. Being it is the same people every time, and some said they have left Flex as well, why would they care?
Photo of Craig Williams

Craig Williams

• 234 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
I don't understand all the flaming of people asking about the release date of new software. Flex said they "probably" would release it 1 1/2 weeks ago and did not. A simple statement like we wanted to do some final testing before release would have put the subject to bed. So, how about if someone who owes you $1000.00 says they will pay you Monday and a week and a half later no money and no word from them. Would you not ask them what gives? It's a perfectly normal reaction so quit flaming people and let's stick to enjoying our radios and helping others do the same.
Photo of N9VC

N9VC

• 190 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
I agree with that, but then, the flames on Flex should stop too. Too many come in
with their little digs and innuendos and yet, you feel they are free to say things,
but do not say something to them?

The person that started this thread posted this in another
topic he started.

'almost 2 hrs of my life I'll never get back playing with the POS.....
never saw such a worhtless pile of crap, change one thing and the
whole &^%_) blows up'

You feel this is all right? Especially when he comes to realize it was
a mistake on something he overlooked.

Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3959 Posts
  • 967 Reply Likes
N9VC, after been here for many years I have learned that some people say things out of frustration and later wish they never said it. If you don't understand what your Flex radio is doing and you don't understand how best to correct it,,this radio could drive you crazy.

When someone like that melts down, I find it's best to let them cool off then try to help them. For many they vent here on the community when they should really start a help ticket and reach out for help from Flex if there problem has gone for days.
Photo of N9VC

N9VC

• 190 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
I can agree with you to a point and had he apologized for his remarks in the
other thread, I would have said, case closed. But I was, also, aiming at those
who come out and lash at Flex, almost, every chance they get.

Below was your statement.

" As I see it the only reason people keep asking this is to take a cheap shot. Being it is the same people every time, and some said they have left Flex as well, why would they care?  "

That's what I feel also. I have had every Flex, going back to the first SDR-1000 line,
except for the 5000, so I have been around a while also and have yet to see
other companies bend over, like Flex, for their customers.

Why is it okay for you to express frustration with some and I cannot? I have helped
some, with problems with Pactor and the SCS modem and enjoyed that. I do not
enjoy some who continually take cheap shots (your words) at a company who
is trying to do an outstanding job.

Reading his last post that just arrived sums it up, Bill. Excuse me as I now have
to get back to eating my cereal.
Photo of Geoff - AB6BT

Geoff - AB6BT

• 150 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
I think that's a poor analogy.

I fail to see how software development and repayment of a personal loan are similar in any way.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3969 Posts
  • 967 Reply Likes
It is a good question for a new member, new to Flex. But for those that have been around a while and should understand how things work?

And a incorrect statment was made I wanted to clear up.
Photo of Mike - VE3CKO

Mike - VE3CKO, Elmer

• 543 Posts
  • 280 Reply Likes
Jamie asked a legitimate question, "I see the release notes and changelog, but dont see the actual software package?"

Many of us know what that means, whenever they publish Release Notes the software release is imminent, days away. It's understandable as new users join the Flexradio ranks, they don't know these things and that is what this community is for. To educate them, and bring them up to speed.

If find it sad that some people, instead of helping new users, take the opportunity to spread discourse. I don't think and I don't want it to be Flexradio's job to go grab the bottle every time the baby cries. We haven't heard any word from them about the new release, wa wa wa. Please take a box of Kleenex and go do something like play radio. Flex went out of their way to update us in the mailing of May 25th, 5 days ago. READ IT ! This has been addressed in different threads too.

It's sad that some people don't have a little patience to wait a few days or week for "software". The Bart Simpson syndrome, "Are we there yet?" says it all. Every pending release, the same thing, over and over again.

(Edited)
Photo of Jamie WW3S

Jamie WW3S

• 125 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
the good thing about the radio is everything is menu driven.....the bad thing about the radio is everything is menu driven.....I've used all types of radios.....just sold the K3 (timed that market right for a change!) still have a Yaesu for sale, I'm keeping the 7300 and most likely the 7610.... I'm preparing for remote contesting opportunities, so I needed at least the Maestro for the station I'll be using. I used my early retirement bonus to fund the 6600, I was sold as its supposed to be  SO2R in the box ( it isnt really, it tries to be, but too flaky, too many lockups for a serious effort) its supposed to be able to remote contest, unless you dont care if you hear your own sidetone, then you need to cobble together a workaround...I've had it now since February, sorry guys, but Im not that impressed. I'm going to try at least one remote contest with it. but if it fails as bad as it did for CQWPX RTTY SO2R, i'll probably dump it. When the software changes settings I dont want changed, thats a problem. I've spoken with Flex many times, I alpha tested ver 3 when the update broke the comms with DXLab. WHen you get responses like Flex suggests you keep the old versions stored on the Maestro, huh?!?!? Why?!?!? Why would I want to keep ver 1.x.x.x....apparently theres no way to delete them except for wiping, and I sure as heck dont want to go down that road.....I asked a simple question, because it makes no sense to release changenotes until the software is released, sorry if I peed in your cereal.....have a good day....
Photo of Michael Walker

Michael Walker, Employee

• 1032 Posts
  • 301 Reply Likes
The software on the Maestro is a closed loop system, so you need to consider it as an embedded software device.  We need to keep V1 available on the Maestro for users who still use V1 and have not upgraded to 2 or 3 since the upgrade is optional.  
Photo of Mike - VE3CKO

Mike - VE3CKO, Elmer

• 543 Posts
  • 280 Reply Likes
Makes perfect sense to me to release change notes ahead of time. Gives me a heads up to start paying attention to the download screen as software release is imminent, plus of course I get to see what's coming up so to educate myself regarding my radio and SmartSDR.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3784 Posts
  • 1637 Reply Likes
Plus if ever want to sell ur Maestro it better have the version the buyer needs
Photo of Neil D Friedman N3DF

Neil D Friedman N3DF

• 246 Posts
  • 79 Reply Likes
If the used Maestro purchaser has his or her radio licensed for version 3, doesn't he or she get to upgrade the Maestro for no additional charge?  If you have a radio and a Maestro, I don't think you pay two upgrade charges.  I didn't pay two charges to upgrade both my 6600M and SSDR on my PC.  I think you just pay per actual radio. 
Photo of Clay N9IO

Clay N9IO

• 629 Posts
  • 169 Reply Likes
Remember the license follows the radio not the GUI device or PC.
Photo of Michael Walker

Michael Walker, Employee

• 1042 Posts
  • 305 Reply Likes
Yes, this is true.

You only  need to pay for the license for the radio.  Everything else is included.

If you start up your V1 Maestro that you use on your 6300 (as an example) and then, late, you want to connect to your friends who runs V3, you will need to load the V3 software on your Maestro.  

The same is true the other way.  Say your Maestro is at V3 and you want to connect to a V1 radio, you can do that as well.  
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3778 Posts
  • 1636 Reply Likes
Yes its licensed to the radio not the Maestro BUT if you sell it to someone with another version on their radio the Maestro needs to have that version on it.. Hence 
Photo of Neil D Friedman N3DF

Neil D Friedman N3DF

• 246 Posts
  • 79 Reply Likes
But, since it's a no-charge download for the Maestro if the buyer's radio has a license, it's totally unfair to say "it better have the version the buyer needs."
(Edited)
Photo of Michael Walker

Michael Walker, Employee

• 1042 Posts
  • 305 Reply Likes
What Howard was saying is that the Maestro needs to have 1 build from each version available.  I am not sure what the user Maestro shows at the moment, as I use development devices, but this is not a big problem other than the software load shows up to 5 versions if I remember correctly.  

That being said, this topic has been hijacked.
Photo of Dave AA6YQ

Dave AA6YQ

• 197 Posts
  • 227 Reply Likes
When I first began working with the ARRL's LoTW team in early 2013, my first recommendation was "Never publish availability dates, as doing so only limits your flexibility".

That advice doesn't preclude maintaining an internal schedule and holding the team accountable for achieving it.

That advice also doesn't preclude publishing a roadmap and keeping the user community informed as to *approximately* where things stand. If you don't keep the user community informed, they will make assumptions about the state of things that are usually far worse than reality.

My advice to Flex management is the same: don't publish availability dates, publish a roadmap, and don't let a month go by without updating the user community on progress.

de AA6YQ

Photo of WW1SS - Steve

WW1SS - Steve

• 804 Posts
  • 269 Reply Likes
YUP all the Flex LOVERS with the flames when a derogatory remark is made. Sounds like the typical LIBERAL BS

So Flame away

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.