Where is SmartSDR v1.10?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
We know this is a question that has been on everyone's mind lately.  I have been getting this question regarding when it will be released and my recent answer has been "soon".  We are now at a point where we can provide a more definitive answer.  SmartSDR v1.10.8 is undergoing final testing this weekend and barring any unforeseen issues, we are planning for it to be released on Monday  28-Nov-2016.  

SmartSDR v1.10.8 will be released as a "beta" release.  We have not done this since the first release of SmartSDR, but due to a particular new feature, USB Cables, we decided to release it as a beta so that we can provide it to a wider audience of people using it.  Being a Beta release, support for the beta feature is not being handled using the HelpDesk, but by a direct e-mail link to our dedicated team addressing USB Cable issues.  Please see the Release Notes for more details on how to get support for the USB Cable feature.

This release also contains new hardware drivers for both CAT and Maestro and an update to the the D-Star waveform in addition to a lot of other features and bug fixes.  In preparation for the release on Monday, we have made available all of the updated documentation that we have completed in support of SmartSDR v1.10.  The links will be listed below and strongly we encourage everyone to read the Release Notes as there are release-specific issues you need to be aware of to ensure a trouble-free upgrade to SmartSDR v1.10.8.

So what is the new USB Cable feature?

FlexRadio is excited to announce a new major feature for the FLEX-6000 Signature Series of SDRs under the category of Station Integration that will allow you to directly connect radio control point peripheral devices, such as amplifiers, antenna controllers, tuners, etc., to any FLEX-6000 using the USB ports on the back of the radio.  This initial Station Integration functionality is designed to primarily provide band data information to peripheral devices.

Starting with SmartSDR v1.10, the FLEX-6000’s USB ports will now be able to accept one of four different devices:
  • A ThumbDV to enable D-STAR transmission and reception on a FLEX-6000
  • Any genuine Future Technology Devices Inc. (FTDI) USB to serial cable
  • Any genuine FTDI USB to parallel cable
  • A USB Hub for connecting multiple of the other devices to one port
The FTDI USB to serial cables will be recognized in SmartSDR as a CAT cable.  From that point forward, the cable can be used to supply CAT data from the radio to an external device.  The FTDI USB to Parallel cables can provide either BCD data (Yaesu format) or single bit outputs for PTT and/or selection of either amateur or non-amateur bands based on a supplied frequency range.

Control for the new Down East Microwave (DEMI) 2m and 4m amplifiers (LDPA) are also fully supported by using a cable option available from DEMI. The cable interface will automatically turn on the amplifier when on a band of interest, controlling the PTT without additional cables and the ability to control the preamp in SmartSDR.  For more information on this feature link to the DEMI webpage.

In support of this new feature, FlexRadio has created a USB Cable Interface Guide that describes in detail CAT, BIT, BDC and LDPA cables, cable pinouts and the communication protocol used.  In addition, it provides part number information for the various FTDI USB cables and setup/configuration descriptions for various third-party amplifiers, antenna controllers, tuners, and transverters.  The USB Cable Interface Guide is available from the FlexRadio website (see the link below).

What about other features?

I mentioned something about new drivers for CAT and Maestro.  We have updated the FlexVSP driver in SmartSDR CAT to the latest version that is designed specifically for Windows 10 and has shown to be more stable and is much less susceptible to driver issues after Windows updates.  We also updated the Maestro Ethernet driver in this release of SmartSDR.  The updated driver addresses some responsiveness, stability and link issues when connected to a gigabit Ethernet interface.

We have also addressed a disconnect issue in the D-Star waveform, so for all you D-Star users, you will need to install the latest waveform and applet after upgrading to SmartSDR v1.10.8.

There are a lot of other changes for SmartSDR v1.10.8 so I'll paste a copy of the Changelog for your review.  But first, those links I promised...

SmartSDR_v1.10.8_Release_Notes
SmartSDR for Maestro_v1.10.8_Release_Notes
USB Cable Interface Guide
SmartSDR CAT User Guide
SmartSDR Software Users Guide
Maestro User Guide

And now the SmartSDR v1.10.8 Change Log:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
v1.10.8 Beta 2016-11-21
Public Beta Release

v1.10.7 Beta 2016-11-11
#4186 Memories: CSV Imported memories now properly set slice rx filter limits
#4186 RX Lo/Hi limits are now properly imported from CSV files
#3594 6700:  Fixed unexpected preamp switching to 6m
#4255 DAX:  Modified TX buffering scheme to decrease chances of TX dropouts

v1.10.6 Beta 2016-11-7
#4220 Maestro:  Added 'Toggle Iambic' option to Function Buttons
#4219 Maestro:  Soloing a Slice now also makes it the Active Slice (and thus changes the target of the Function Buttons to this Slice)
#4221 Fixed a UHE related to ParseProfilesStatus

v1.10.5 Beta 2016-11-2
#4152 CAT:  Fixed N1MM monitor Focus On Other issue not being set properly.  Monitor now follows the same logic as the sidetone.
#4201 CAT:  FlexVSP ports can now be reset by right-clicking on the Remove button
#4203 FlexControl:  Added CW Speed and RF Power options
#4176 Maestro:  Minor version number no longer appears in Version Lists (takes effect after upgrade/reboot)
#4209 SmartSDR:  Added ToolTips when hovering over WNB, NB, NR, ANF, APF buttons
#4148 Added Luxembourg region
#4147 Updated Japan region for 160m and 80m
#4150 Updated EU allocation for 60m

v1.10.4 Beta 2016-10-28
#4183 SmartSDR: Fixed USB Cable import profiles tooltip
#3769 MIC Profiles: Add default profiles for Radiosport M207 and M208
#4188 CWX: TX Delay not added in between every other character 
#3887 Maestro: Updated Ethernet driver to latest version (requires extra Maestro reboot during update cycle)

v1.10.3 Alpha 2016-10-26
#3157 CAT:  AI command now responds with IF data on band change or when a new Slice appears
#2527 CAT:  Key Immediate - TUNE now works in Winkeyer emulation when Ctrl+T is pressed in N1MM
#4162 CAT:  Fixed issue with changing speed just as a macro finishes in N1MM, which would cause the keyer to hang
#4148 CWX:  PTT Delay is no longer added in between every CWX character
#4140 CW:  TX Delay is now properly handled when pressing TUNE while in CW
#3608 Waveforms: D-STAR Application no longer disconnects randomly

v1.10.2 Alpha 2016-10-20
#4124 CAT: Added text to Advanced settings warning message about physical COM port settings
#4077 Maestro: Panadapters for tracked Slices (B tracks A button) will now tune with the Slice (2 Pans, 1 Slice on each Pan)
#3454 Maestro:  Fixed occasional missing Panadapter gridlines on startup
#4116 Maestro:  Changed Slice Mute symbol to be clearer
#3800 Maestro:  Fixed Slice indicator being obscured/hidden at certain zoom levels when RIT is enabled
#4088 Maestro:  Fixed WiFi related UHE on a Maestro reboot
#4104 DAX:  Added a vertical scrollbar for easier operation for lower resolution screens, when the DAX Window height is made smaller
#4133 DAX:  Fixed UHE when closing DAX while an IQ stream is streaming
#4131 SmartSDR Installer now overwrites existing .ssdr firmware file for easier recovery on corrupted file recovery
#4192 SmartSDR Installer now prompts for PC reboot and does not autostart CAT after install if VSP drivers were installed
#4038 MON is now 'off' when set to 0. Off as in inaudible, not that it actually triggers the MON button on and off :) 
#4070 MON now works with DAX TX audio even if PC is selected as mic selection
#4066 MON Pan now works correctly with DAX Monitoring (previously DAX MON could not be panned left/right)
#3980 PTT Inconsistencies fixed. (Maestro CW can now be used without BreakIn and manual PTT)
#4064 Persistence: Fix wrong frequency for slice after FlexLib tune to change bands
#3960 Persistence: RX Antennas correctly recalled when multiple panadapters are on the same band on initial connect
#4008 CWX: QSK can now be enabled/disabled for CWX (previously CWX did not support QSK)
#2368 DSP: Change ANF constants to reduce distortion
#3983 SSDR/Maestro:  Fixed a rare UHE that could happen on startup (Array.Copy Destination array was not long enough)
#4125 Fixed N1MM Call modification and Enter Sends Message (ESM) behavior
#4128 Fixed unexpected CW speed changes using N1MM

v1.10.1 Alpha 2016-10-14
#4078 CAT:  Added new FlexVSP driver for Windows 10
#4021 CAT:  Fixed potential UHE on disconnect
#4096 CAT:  Physical (existing) COM ports now have advanced options (baud rate, stop bits etc)
#4119 CAT:  Fixed a UHE when removing multiple ports at the same time
#4046 Fixed issue with GPS being incorrectly detected as present

v1.10.0 Alpha 2016-10-07
#1814 Added USB Cable support (BCD band data, Bit, CAT, LDPA)
#3995 Maestro: Added Static IP network options 
#4023 Added 12.5 kHz step size for FM modes
#4018 Mic Profile no longer unexpectedly shows a change (with asterisk *) immediately after a mic profile load
#4096 CW: Fixed issue where all bands became muted when in FDX on a hard PTT
#4031 API:  Improved handling of ParseProfileStatus() in FlexLib
#4041 API: Fixed false positive debug message about invalid key/value pair in Radio::ParseFilterSharpnessStatus
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9186 Posts
  • 3542 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

• 1780 Posts
  • 547 Reply Likes
Awesome! Many many things and the use of the USB port a major one. Thank FRS and Alpha team. I can't wait to try it.
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4203 Posts
  • 1338 Reply Likes
Excellent!  Lots of people are going to be thrilled.
And even though the CQWWDX CW Contest is this weekend, I think it is a smart move to wait until Monday AFTER the US Thanksgiving Holiday weekend for the release!  That way, the Customer Support Team can enjoy the holiday! (unless you are all running the contest!)

Good job!

Ken - NM9P
Photo of W7NGA

W7NGA

• 446 Posts
  • 189 Reply Likes
> we are planning for it to be released on Monday  28-Nov-2106 

This announcement excited me at first until I realized I would be 156 years old when it is released!

W7NGA dan
Seaside, Oregon
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9186 Posts
  • 3542 Reply Likes
At least I provided a release date ;-)
The typo has been corrected.
Photo of Larry: KE2YC

Larry: KE2YC

• 75 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Tnx all FRS,  Happy Thanksgiving and be safe out there.  Just feeling FUZZY all over for new stuff!!
Tnx Tim for all you do.

Grrrrreat Job

larry ke2yc
Photo of Jd Dupuy

Jd Dupuy

• 155 Posts
  • 60 Reply Likes
Man I am glad I didn't have to write that public release notification. Sounds like one heck of a push forward and major programming effort. Wish the Flex folks a Happy Thanksgiving.
Photo of Gary AC8NE

Gary AC8NE

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Great.  Can't wait.  You made my thanksgiving holiday.  It's like early Christmas.  Thanks to the whole software and support teams for putting this together so quickly.  Have a Happy Thanksgiving.
Photo of Frank, HB9FXQ

Frank, HB9FXQ

• 56 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
wow, a lot! Great news & many thx!

Can you explain what #3995 means? No mor udp broadcast needed? Windows also?
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9186 Posts
  • 3542 Reply Likes
It means you can assign the FLEX-6000 a static IP address using the Maestro.  This capability already exists for SmartSDR for WIndows, now the same for the Maestro.
Photo of Al / NN4ZZ

Al / NN4ZZ

• 1849 Posts
  • 670 Reply Likes
In the "SmartSDR CAT User Guide"  it says"

Is there a link to purchase these cables on the web page:

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
6700 - HW.................. V 1.9.7.85
SSDR / DAX / CAT...... V 1.9.7.169
Win10
Photo of Nigel - G0JKN/W2

Nigel - G0JKN/W2

• 28 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Great news guys, thanks.  a point  to note "real" FTDI chips supported lots of chinese bad FTDI cables are still out there. 

Great work guys.

• 1780 Posts
  • 547 Reply Likes
  • A USB Hub for connecting multiple of the other devices to one port
Any specification in particular for this one? For example, do we prefer to use a powered one vs a USB port powered one? Can we use a USB 3.0 or 2.0? I believe the Flex USB port is 2.0
Is there a limit in the number of ports in the Hub? 
Photo of Mack McCormick

Mack McCormick, Elmer

• 450 Posts
  • 154 Reply Likes
I'm using a powered seven port USB hub with all slots filled. I chose a powered hub because of the number of cables connected and I'm supply +5 VDC to a few low current relays. This is a great new feature but I recommend you read the manual on all the combinations.

Mack
W4AX
Alpha Tester
Photo of Simon Lewis

Simon Lewis

• 495 Posts
  • 118 Reply Likes
I assume you can use more than 1 cable too ?  ie leave a linear permanently connected and a BIT cable to a Transverter SW connected a the same time??

• 1780 Posts
  • 547 Reply Likes
I will need 3, one for ThumbDV, one for the SPE amp and one for the 2m DEMI amp. So a hub is a must. Now, I don't think we are connecting devices that will be powered from the USB so probably a regular "decent" USB hub will do. Something like this....

• 1780 Posts
  • 547 Reply Likes
Being able to use one of these will also be cool.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ETDC8K/ref=s9_acsd_al_bw_c_x_2_w

Photo of Al / NN4ZZ

Al / NN4ZZ

• 1849 Posts
  • 670 Reply Likes
Hi Salvador,
I guess we need to see which adapters FRS is selling and whether some of the units like the quad adapter you posted will work . It would be a nice one and only uses on USB port on the radio.

Maybe some of the alpha testers will post about the adapters they have used as well as any that didn't work.

Regards Al / NN4ZZ

• 1780 Posts
  • 547 Reply Likes
It is FTDI, and based on what i have read so far it should work because the USB capability makes use of the FTDI ID # per USB port. I have the equivalent of that one but with 2 serial ports.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9186 Posts
  • 3542 Reply Likes
The bottom line is if you insert a USB/Serial or USB/Parallel cable into the FLEX-6000 and it isn't recognized, it isn't supported.
Photo of Larry - W8LLL

Larry - W8LLL

• 502 Posts
  • 112 Reply Likes
The gearmo works.

• 1780 Posts
  • 547 Reply Likes
Tim, there is a typo on the Release Notes page 4. It should read DStar instead of FreeDV.

Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9186 Posts
  • 3542 Reply Likes
Whoops.  Sorry about that.  Download corrected.
(Edited)

• 1780 Posts
  • 547 Reply Likes
No worries, team effort! ;)
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9186 Posts
  • 3542 Reply Likes
TNX
Photo of NX6D Dave

NX6D Dave

• 308 Posts
  • 94 Reply Likes
Our permanent copy is now corrected too.
Photo of Simon Lewis

Simon Lewis

• 495 Posts
  • 118 Reply Likes
I saw mention of Flex carrying the cables in the docs - I assume these are not the website yet ? FTDI sell direct and not too bad a price
Photo of Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB

Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB

• 203 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
When I click the link I get an error that says the product is not available. Do you have pricing information? Tnx. I have been waiting for this for a long time
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9186 Posts
  • 3542 Reply Likes
Try the links now.  Matt was hoarding them all to himself ;-)
Photo of Simon Lewis

Simon Lewis

• 495 Posts
  • 118 Reply Likes
I need to have a look at the Kuhne TR Switch BCD pin out to see how this matches - that will be good if it can drive that :)
Photo of Peter K1PGV

Peter K1PGV, Elmer

• 546 Posts
  • 321 Reply Likes
The way you folks are steadily chipping away at the backlog is pretty impressive. I'm also impressed by the quality of the engineering decisions that are being made. Features get introduced in a well though-out way, and you're not afraid to replace/rewrite stuff when that's required. Those are the marks of a maturing engineering organization. Bravo.

Thanks for this. Looks like lotsa good stuff in this release.

Peter
K1PGV
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
Not to pee on anyone's petunias but will this release be followed by a 1.x spit and polish / bug squash release prior to ending direct focus on version 1? This release represents large functionality changes where I am sure issues will crop up after the high wears off.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9186 Posts
  • 3542 Reply Likes
The tentative plan is to address any issues that may arise with the new functionality provided in SmartSDR v1.10.8 with a follow-up 1.10.x release.
Photo of Craig - KØCF

Craig - KØCF

• 196 Posts
  • 69 Reply Likes

Someone should have proofed the v1.10.8 Software Users Guide PDF before it was posted. The formatting is all messed up: Small, half-sized pages at the left edge of the 8.5 x 11 sheet with a large gray area to its right. Tough for old eyes to read with the pages shrunk to this size.

Craig, KØCF

Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9186 Posts
  • 3542 Reply Likes
I'll have to get our doc guy some glasses ;-)

We'll get it take care of.  Thanks for letting us know.
(Edited)

• 1780 Posts
  • 547 Reply Likes
Looks like they might have left the comment section or track changes feature of Word on before converting to PDF. Should be easily fixed.
Photo of NX6D Dave

NX6D Dave

• 308 Posts
  • 94 Reply Likes
Yes, that was exactly the problem.  All corrected now, and more.
Photo of James Whiteway

James Whiteway

• 1023 Posts
  • 290 Reply Likes
Looks good. But, still no all mode squelch? ( other than mine) :-)
James
WD5GWY
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9186 Posts
  • 3542 Reply Likes
I realize there is a  :-) emoji and this tongue-n-cheek comment was in jest, but I think it needs to be pointed out that the amount of work put into the USB Cable feature and all of the other changes in 1.10.8 represents a monumental effort by the engineering team and they should be commended for that.  We wish we could put in every requested feature and fix every item added to the enhancement and defect database in a single release, but it just isn't possible.

Since there has been so much feedback in the last several years on the lack of band data provided by the radio hardware, that we felt this was a critical path feature that needed to be done now.  We have provided significant functionality to interface with a wide variety of equipment, regardless of manufacturer and we are not done yet.  This is the first of several planned station automation features. 
Photo of James Whiteway

James Whiteway

• 1023 Posts
  • 290 Reply Likes
Glad you caught the smiley face Tim! I do appreciate the effort that goes into each and every release. And I know not all features or defects can be addressed at once.
I just hope a basic feature like an all mode squelch, which a lot wof people do like, will show up before v2.0 . I would like to think that an all mode squelch would not require payment in order to have it intergrated into SSDR.
But, I wrote a small app that does that already. It would be better as a direct part of SSDR, instead of a separate.app.
Thanks for all you do.
James
WD5GWY

• 1780 Posts
  • 547 Reply Likes
I personally think this is a huge step in the right direction.

It opens up tons of opportunities to make that automated station a reality. We should be able to do a lot of fancy and interesting things with inexpensive (real) FTDI chip USB cables. I am very excited about this release. The community wanted it, but I also thing the Flex environment needed it. You can easily communicate and interact with external filters, tuners, antenna switches, transverters, amplifiers, etc.... and not being able to do so in such an easy and elegant way was just a big hole in the current feature set.

I have no idea how difficult it was to implement. I have been able to get Band Data from transceivers for while so I guess I take it for granted. So if it was a large effort, thanks again!

But, the combination of not just Band Data but fairly flexible connection point between the radio and a host of external devices will be a turning point on how we see/use the radio. And I think it can be perceive as a clear effort on the part of FRS to do things for the users and not just for the sake of selling yet another gizmo.

• 1780 Posts
  • 547 Reply Likes
Not sure if this one is a general reference to USB cables or if it is hinting at some future feature.... Rotator control out of SmartSDR / Maestro would be very cool.

Photo of NX6D Dave

NX6D Dave

• 308 Posts
  • 94 Reply Likes
This was my error.  When I originally composed this documentation, I wasn't thinking of the difference between devices that must be controlled directly by the radio and devices that should be controlled by SmartSDR.  Tim has explained this difference very well elsewhere in this thread.

All of the documents have been corrected along these lines and will be re-published soon.

Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB

• 203 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
Are any of the alpha tester using this with an Expert Linears. Impressions?
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3741 Posts
  • 1604 Reply Likes
Yes it. Works for Band Data ONLY

No control of the Amp yet so I will continue to use DDUTIL which gives me total control of my Expert Amp
Photo of GI4FZD

GI4FZD

• 129 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
I have the 1.3 KA, did you use usb to the cat connector on the expert wired as rs232 , was it the same cable as used in ddutil, Flex's explanation in the usb cable doc regarding the expert,“CAT 5V TTL Interface” or “CAT RS232 Interface” isn't that clear.
Cheers
Paul
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3741 Posts
  • 1604 Reply Likes
I used the rs232 pins (9,4,1) on the 15 pin cable because my adaptor had rs232 voltages
Some usb adaptors only have 5V

But I only used it once for testing as a proof of concept

Frankly with only Band data and without total control (power on/off, antenna in/out, power levels,etc) it was rather useless for my needs. So I went back to DDUTIL
(Edited)
Photo of GI4FZD

GI4FZD

• 129 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
Ok Thanks for the quick reply, Hopefully they can address the other items at some stage, rotator control would be nice too if that was working, must admit DDUTIL has me spoiled, it just works!!
Cheers
Paul

• 1780 Posts
  • 547 Reply Likes
I hear you Howard, but besides the power level adjustment on DDutil you can actually turn the amp on and off with a connection to the radio and you can setup at least one antenna selection per band, so I wouldn't call it that limited. I can use the spe app to manage the amp which gives me access to submenus and a nicer display. That app can be used with a usb cable from the 1.3k to the computer, and i can still connect the USB-serial from the Flex for band data. We have more options now, even if we continue to use DDutil.
Photo of Mark - W3II

Mark - W3II

• 156 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
Paul, I updated the SPE chart to fix typos in a post to the thread, let me know if you have any more questions.
Photo of GI4FZD

GI4FZD

• 129 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
Ok Mark..thanks for that.
Paul

Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB

• 203 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
I use the app as well. Then I run teamviewer and can access the app remote. I wanted this feature to run maestro radio and amp only in " the field" away from home sans computer
Photo of Mack McCormick

Mack McCormick, Elmer

• 450 Posts
  • 154 Reply Likes
Lawrence,

Flex can't provide all of the custom programming for every type of peripheral on the market. They have provided more functionality than any other manufacture with the USB feature. It will be up to the individual manufacturers to do any custom programming that is required.

We want them make the most functional, extensible, RF server platform on the market. This release clears to decks to further for further work on version 2.0 with WAN support.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Mack
W4AX
Alpha Tester
Photo of Alex - DH2ID

Alex - DH2ID, Elmer

• 973 Posts
  • 180 Reply Likes
SSDR release notes: "  And the new 60m band allocation was added to the default EU TURF in preparation for the band’s availability on 1-Jan-2107 (Feature #4184, #4174 and #4150) " ;-)
Was Mr. Freud looking over your shoulder? Hopefully not!
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9186 Posts
  • 3542 Reply Likes
That is what I get for typing faster than the rated specs for my fingers ;-)
Photo of Dave - WB5NHL

Dave - WB5NHL

• 285 Posts
  • 63 Reply Likes
Tim - what kind of connector will the 10 pin parallel use.   I need to drive an ARI-500 for ALS-600 band selection. The ARI-500 accepts Yaesu BCD
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9186 Posts
  • 3542 Reply Likes
That depends on what you chose and how you need to wire the interface.  Take a look at the USB Cable Interface Guide for some examples.
Photo of Simon Lewis

Simon Lewis

• 495 Posts
  • 118 Reply Likes
it comes out on headers so you can choose / modify

Photo of Harold Rosee

Harold Rosee

• 117 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
Tim,

In DDutil today I use the USB 8 Board that it supports to switch my antennas through a relay box.

Will this board still be supported in some way?

Harold
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9186 Posts
  • 3542 Reply Likes
If the USB chipset is not an FTDI Serial or an FTDI Parallel, then the answer is no.  From the board description provided, I do not have enough info to Google it and tell.
Photo of Harold Rosee

Harold Rosee

• 117 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
Tim,

The docs on the USB 8 board are here in the DDutil documentation.

http://k5fr.com/DDUtilV3wiki/index.php?title=USB-8_Relay_Board
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9186 Posts
  • 3542 Reply Likes
It may work.  It uses the FTDI USB / Parallel chip.  I have no direct knowledge whether it does or does not work.
Photo of Mack McCormick

Mack McCormick, Elmer

• 450 Posts
  • 154 Reply Likes
Yes, using a BCD cable. Look under BCD in the manual. I'm using the same board.

Mack
W4AX
Alpha Tester
Photo of Harold Rosee

Harold Rosee

• 117 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
Mack,

I don't think the BCD will work.  It only sends out 5 bits and is fixed in what it sends per band.  The USB8 board needs 8 bits; one per relay.  It is possible to key as many or as few at a time as you want by sending it decimal 0 to 255.  And you can define what you send per band. 

The BIT cable is probably a closer match but I haven't read far enough to for a conclusion as to whether it will work.

I think we'll have to stick with DDutil for the board we are using.   

BTW, I use the USB8 board to switch the six-way relay box from Top-Ten devices as seen here:

http://www.qth.com/topten/sixway.htm

I could be wrong but with the implementation of "USB Cables" as of 1.10.8 I don't see anything that will easily interface for switching antennas except maybe something with the Bit cable. You would just need to be careful.  I can see people blowing the chip in the cable or worse the USB ports in the radio with the wrong voltages.

Currently I use DDutil for my Palstar AT-Auto, KPA-500 amp, and the USB8 board.  It works perfect and the devices are now separated from the radio by the PC as a buffer.  Personally I don't like the idea of hooking them up directly to the radio but that's just me.  I'll most likely keep using DDutil as long as it still works.

Harold

Photo of Mack McCormick

Mack McCormick, Elmer

• 450 Posts
  • 154 Reply Likes
Harold,

You're correct, I'm mistaken. The USB8 board will not work. The board I was thinking about takes BCD as an input. http://www.unifiedmicro.com/decoder.html . I apologize for any confusion.

Would this board work for your application?

Mack
W4AX
Alpha Teaster
Photo of Harold Rosee

Harold Rosee

• 117 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
Mack,

I looked at the board and the Flex USB Cable Manual.

I believe if you use the Flex FTDI C232HM cable and that board you could accomplish something to replace the USB8 setup that DDutil uses but is some cutting and soldering.

The DDutil with the USB8 is basically plug and play.

I was hoping that when Flex came out with their "USB Cable" solution that they would have all the functionally that is in DDutil.  It looks that that is the way they were headed. 

My hope is that they will add the functionally for the USB8 board.  It really works great and the code to run it is open source and readily available.  In fact it's just a few lines of code.

Maybe Tim, or someone else at Flex, can comment if this will be added.  If not then sticking with DDutil would be the best way to go for now.  Or I guess this would be an opportunity for someone to make a box that will do what we need.   A top-Ten 6 way relay box, one of the boards you lined to, and a Flex cable would do the trick. Depending on what the cable cost you could do the whole deal for around $200.

Harold
(Edited)
Photo of James Kennedy-WU5E

James Kennedy-WU5E

• 333 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes

question , the 9 pin and Ameritron ARI-500  and 9 pin kenwood cable would it work to the USB to DB9 ?

Photo of Dave - WB5NHL

Dave - WB5NHL

• 285 Posts
  • 63 Reply Likes
Looking at the SmartSDR and ARI-500 documentation this should work with a modified RJ-DB97DK cable or custom built (RJ45->DB9 & RCA) (see note below on amp key):

Rx and Tx pins of the DB9 line up
SmartCAT responds to Kenwood 2 character commands i.e. AI
cable needs access to the Flex amp key line either the RJ-DB97DK accessory needs changing or a custom cable needs an RCA plug for Flex amp keying.

Any thoughts comments from FRS or community??