Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Where do I pay for my 2.x upgrade?

2»

Comments

• Giulio
    Giulio Member
    edited January 2017
    Facepalm.
  • GI4FZD
    GI4FZD Member
    edited January 2017
    Just seen the price to upgrade FT-991 to FT-991A...£480 in the uk so $200 is not out of the question for a major upgrade.
  • Charles - K5UA
    Charles - K5UA Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    If you own a 6500, the $200 amounts to a 5% cost for a MAJOR VERSION upgrade.  We've had a number of no-cost Ver. 1 upgrades over the past 3 years.  Has there ever, in the history of amateur radio, been a lower cost method of achieving such significant operating improvements to a radio?  I have not seen such a bargain in my 57 years of amateur radio.  In the 4 years spanning the introduction of the Icom 756Pro, the Pro-II, and the Pro-III, I don't recall a whole lot of resistance to the loss of thousands of dollars in the upgrade process from the Pro to the Pro-III.  For those of us who are accustomed to buying, selling, buying, selling and buying again, this software upgrade process is a a breath of fresh air.
  • Giulio
    Giulio Member
    edited January 2017
    Ok you are pricing something that doesn't exist at the moment and you don't know which will be the new features of the version 2. So I don't understand why we are still speaking about $200 if there is nothing ready and the sw upgrades are still unknown is it only a marketing operation to prepare the consumers to spend $200? We are pricing something that is still an idea.. Neither a project.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Not where I work... I was read the riot act once for even suggesting jokingly that I'd violate it. The HR VP was serious about it. 
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I'm sure Kev is jesting....but I do take the NDA seriously here.  In fact it causes me to double and triple-think any statements I make in the Community to assure that I am in compliance...
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited January 2017
    You're not going to tell my HR VP I joked about NDAs are you?

You guys are serious?
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    We are talking about it mainly because some people believe that they are entitled to free updates forever, and some of us don't think that's a good business plan. It isn't marketing at all, because Flex is pretty clear about upgrades within versions and upgrades that constitute a version change. 
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited January 2017
    Been thinking on all this. If you give me something for free I'll take it and say thank you. But...

As I read it, some of the issues people have, and I can understand it, is that 1.x promises or expectations are not fully achieved. I can see those arguments but I think the counterargument is that there are things delivered by FRS in 1.x that were not part of the plan either.

I was not here for 1.0 code or whatever first hit the streets. I think my first was 1.6. I'm guessing those that were here for early code might feel that between 1.early and today there has been a lot of features added at no cost. Sure, a lot of bugs introduced and bugs fixed. I feel that way about 1.6 to now.

I have the feeling FRS is going to provide a 2.x product that is a significant step forward from 1.x but I also think and hope we'll see the same feature enhancement slope we saw in 1.x along with the bug fixes.

If I were to propose a cost model, I think I'd be willing to pay a certain amount a year for a subscription which includes support and any enhancements. If I decide not to pay for next year's subscription then I'm in stasis with the current version. Maybe get a bug fix for critical errors but expect no more enhancements. When I want to re-subscribe, I pay the initial new-subscriber fee and then fall back to an annual fee at regular prices.

This way I don't think 1.x to 2.x has to be some magical smartphone-style leap. In fact, I kind of dislike the giant-step-forward that 1.x to 2.x to x.x implies. I'd be happy (or less curmudgeonly anyway) if we just saw a constant stream of fixes and enhancements. 

I think I'm entitled to free bug fixes at a fixed initial purchase price. I think FRS is entitled to compensation for new or improved features.

Kev

• Giulio
    Giulio Member
    edited January 2017
    I will buy... Or i will sell(hi)
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I was under NDA my entire career. If you've never signed one, you might think they have no teeth. Try telling your next job interviewer you signed one and felt it was only a suggestion. See how that works out for you. Almost like the mythical blacklist. Plan for an extended unemployment career.

SDRgadgets

#FlexRadio IRC chat

73, Jay - NO5J

• Mike  W1BFA in Maine
    Mike W1BFA in Maine Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Just a thought, what if all upgrades were provided during the warrantee period and following that you would pay an annual fee for for an extended warrantee with software or firmware updates as they become available? In that scenario you would have a known cost to budget for and Flexradio would have a known recurring revenue number to keep those great employees providing great support, software and engineering for the future. Win - Win situation to me. Radio is no **** good without those guys... Mike W1BFA
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited January 2017
    I apologize to anyone I offended by making light of NDAs. As an act of contrition I will say three Hail CFO's and one Our CEO.

Sheesh. What a bunch.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I forgive you my son!image

SDRgadgets

#FlexRadio IRC chat

73, Jay - NO5J

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    No offense taken. Just returning the leg pulling...with a word of clarification in case someone else might misunderstand!

Your penance, however is to delay downloading of v.2.0 by 15 minutes after you purchase it when it is available.....
  • Rick  WN2C
    Rick WN2C Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    If I can buy a 'New Radio' for $200, I would buy it in a New York second. Let me know when and I will be ready to send my payment.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.