When is version SmartSDR 1.4 coming out? It's this month right?

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
An exact release date coming soon?
Photo of Peter

Peter

• 21 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Jon  W1JDB

Jon W1JDB

• 146 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes

We could start a pool based on the V1.4 ship date with a nice prize.

Really though, Flex has delayed the release based on the major features that are being added and, no doubt, to fix several major pain points that still exist from V1.3.8 including DAX.

With the user base growing and the significant uptick in user feedback they want to ensure the best possible release which takes time and testing. I haven't heard them use the term (yet) of "Quality User Experience" but I believe that is what Flex will be going for in V1.4 and the following V1.5 (polishing release).

The worst possible scenario would be to release an update that breaks a significant functionality just to add features. Look at Microsoft, Apple and others. Even minor updates of theirs have gone wrong from time to time and they have "10 to umpteenth" more testers.

I think Gerald, Steve and Greg have done a good job of being honest with the Flex user base about the delay of V1.4 and stating their specific goals for V1.5. and DSP. Many companies spend significant $$$ on PR spin and additional promises. I prefer that the $$$ be spent on improving the product and the advances in the hobby that Flex is known for.

I also have great respect for all of the users that have software/hardware issues and come to the Community for help. The speed with which suggestions/answers are provided and the direct interaction by Flex employees makes this forum a significant benefit of being a Flex owner and certainly for prospective buyers.

Now about that pool....

Photo of Michael - OZ1MDF

Michael - OZ1MDF

• 40 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Actually, about that pool .. Lets give the developers lots of "space" :-)

I hope for a Christmas-release .. say, December 18 or something like that.
Would be a nice "present" for an upcomming otherwise doll Christmas week !
Photo of DrTeeth

DrTeeth

• 1687 Posts
  • 389 Reply Likes
December the 18th is no good here. Having spinal surgery that day. But then 2 months at home with my 6300 'recuperating', hi hi.
(Edited)

Michael - OZ1MDF

• 40 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Dude, best of luck on that. I ́ll bounce your call of the moon on the 18th.
Merry Christmas to you .. on that day :-)
Photo of k2yn

k2yn

• 2 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Write a reply   
Photo of k2yn

k2yn

• 2 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Try writing TOP SHELF code sometime.  They have proven themselves repeatedly over the past ten years.  I would rather wait an extra few weeks and receive the fantastic code they write!!  Don't use bean counter concepts when it comes to TOP SHELF CODE WRITING!!  When FLEX RADIO produces software , IT IS GROUND BREAKING work.  They are the first amateur radio company to produce a THIN CLIENT transceiver.  MILES BEYOND THE COMPETITION!!!  I wish to THANK THEM for bringing me the finest ham radio experience I could wish for!!!  THANKS FLEX RADIO.  John  K2YN 

Michael - OZ1MDF

• 40 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
I agree with you all the way, John - And I say this being a software developer myself. The best thing you can do for developers is to give them time and then more time. While you do this, do not pressure your developers ...
But do tease them that they cannot do this or that feature/bugfix or whatever. Nothing annoys a developer more than someone doubting their ownership of the universe :-)
Photo of Peter

Peter

• 21 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
OK let me be the devils advocate here...I was a software coder for 10 years, then became a designer then project manager and am now advisor to the CEO. There is not such thing a 'final' and/or bug free code. Also, there HAVE to be deadlines. You do not just let the coders work on stuff until they like it because that will be like....never. I know how it is because I have been there, done that and have the T-shirt. So, yes, 1.4 didn't make the old deadline but I want a new one.
Photo of Mike Hoing

Mike Hoing

• 280 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
So confident in yourself and abilities that you hide behind a fake name....... Make it hard to take you seriously

Sorry

Mike
N9DFD
Photo of Peter

Peter

• 21 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Oh, what I say is so alien and bizarre that it cannot be believed without my call sign, cv, home address etc? So don't believe me, who cares?
Photo of DrTeeth

DrTeeth

• 1687 Posts
  • 389 Reply Likes
Deadline for Cone Head - Xmas 2016. See you then.

Your nom-de-plume is so appropriate given your attitude here. Why not retire your persona and come back friendly?
(Edited)
Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1560 Posts
  • 770 Reply Likes

Deadlines do not have to ever be set as absolutes in terms of a calendar rather than as absolutes in terms of stable features, nor do calendar targets need to be externally shared except for marketing purposes.

FRS has been crystal clear that when 1.4 is ready technically and stability-wise, it goes out and not before. 

Like always if a feature critical to particular consumer is not yet released, make a decision whether to spend for what is already released along with FRS rough projections when your critical feature will be ready, or sit it out.

As an aside, I am all for requiring a person's Community ID to have their call sign included.  Would also love to know if they are an actual owner, of which FRS radio(s) and a proper name.  It is silly to expect to be respected if we hide behind comedy character "stage names...."

Steve

K9ZW

FRS 5000-RX2ATU, 6300-ATU and 6700-GPSDO

(Edited)
Photo of Bob G   W1GLV

Bob G W1GLV

• 802 Posts
  • 144 Reply Likes
I agree with the callsign. Anyone who hides behind a fictitious name cannot be believed for anything they say.
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P

• 4239 Posts
  • 1351 Reply Likes
Can't fully agree with that.  Some folks, out of concern for security and other issues, may begin interaction incognito to see how they are received before sharing more personal, and traceable information online.

That being said, I do encourage sharing callsign information because it is helpful to maintain the "amateur fraternal" atmosphere on the board.  Unfortunately it seems that people are more courteous and respectful of one another when they know they might run into each other on the air....

Ken - NM9P
Photo of DrTeeth

DrTeeth

• 1687 Posts
  • 389 Reply Likes
There is more chance of my hair growing back (imagine Kojak) than meeting somebody I know on the air, hi hi.
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P

• 4239 Posts
  • 1351 Reply Likes
Hang around a bit, Guy.  I have run into several from this board on the air, and at Dayton Hamvention!  Some have recognized my call and commented about it, and others I have recognized theirs.  It happens!
Photo of Tom - WQ5O

Tom - WQ5O

• 43 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I think we can cut Mr. Conehead some slack.  I understand security very well as I've been in that field for the last 40 years and he's just being cautious. I don't blame him a bit.  A call sign can give someone a lot of personal info if you know where to look and we all do.  And he was just asking an honest question. Nothing nefarious as far as I can tell.  

We would all like to have the new software out today but I'd rather wait a while to let the FRS team get it right.  V1.38 works pretty well (better than V1.0) and I'm just as excited as the rest of the Flex community for V1.4 and beyond.  But I'm willing to wait until it's 'right' versus the Microsoft MO of getting it out buggy as heck just to make a few extra bucks.  We all bought the Flexradios because you get a nearly new radio with each software upgrade.  That's something that Kenwood, Icom or Yaesu can't do with their hardware to date. 

FYI - writing code makes my head hurt!  I'll leave that stuff to the experts.

So, relax everyone.  It's all good!  Good DX!  CW forever! 

Tom
WQ5O
Photo of Peter

Peter

• 21 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
You are a very wise man, Tom, and hit the nail right on the head. In the past I had received hate mail (real hate mail, like in the mailbox) because I had criticized some peoples favorite radio manufacturer. Our hobby has a fair share of nut jobs and you never know how nutty somebody is. You question their belief system (even with something as silly as a brand of radio) and they go ballistic. Moving on, done with this thread.
Photo of Steve W6SDM

Steve W6SDM

• 625 Posts
  • 283 Reply Likes
Microsoft is in the business of releasing software by a marketing-driven release date.  We all see where that gets us. 

Even though I have a 9 to 5 job, I am on the radio a lot.  Even so, I still haven't completely explored all the options in the current 1.3.8 release.  And when I do, there's still plenty of time for on the air fun, like getting into the Tromelin Island bloodbath. 

I vote for letting the developers and the management of the company decide when the product is ready rather than rush it out before it's ready.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3763 Posts
  • 1621 Reply Likes
Been there done that myself since 1958...

My coders always slipped unless they had a hard and fast drop deal deadline

Of course, when I tied a $$ bonus to finishing by the deadline, it was amazing how often they actually met that deadline...  albeit sleep deprivation was part of their job description...
Photo of Peter

Peter

• 21 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Seems like I am not the only one seeing things the way they are. 73s! Several guys here take a neutral comment and turn it into something personal and think they have the moral high ground....
(Edited)
Photo of SteveM

SteveM

• 273 Posts
  • 44 Reply Likes

Coney,

It sounded to me like you are who you say you are... Howard too. I have no problem with anything you said because it is based on the current state of affairs in the industry. Some here, and you have to remember this is an ol' boys club, want to run the show and put others in their place; that is my experience whenever interacting with a group of older gents. That being said, it would be nice to know your first name so I could address you by something other than 'Coney'.

Photo of Al / NN4ZZ

Al / NN4ZZ

• 1853 Posts
  • 672 Reply Likes
FRS has done a great job in meeting their announced release dates since V1.0.  Even with the 2 small delays they are doing better than most every team I've worked with.  And I doubt they plan to give up on target dates completely.  IMHO -- At least internally they are likely to keep pushing toward dates, that is just how most development teams operate.  I believe the change is more about how they plan to communicate with the customer base going forward.  

Steve H said there will be a new / updated road map coming out soon.  Will they eliminate any reference to release dates?  The new road map may give us a better idea of what to expect.  

Thread on the V2.0 Road Map Update:
https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/v2-0-roadmap-update-is-it-still-on-schedule-or-dela...

Hopefully the road map will still include the time dimension.   Maybe just list the Quarter for a release.  Or stick with the month and include a caveat that the date is not a commitment, just a general target.   A road map without a time frame is not nearly as informative.  I'm sure the folks waiting for V2.0 and WAN remote would like to know if it is more likely to be next summer or closer to Christmas 2015. 

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

Photo of DrTeeth

DrTeeth

• 1687 Posts
  • 389 Reply Likes
I think a time frame is very important too. It need not be cast in stone at all. Having said that, it would not look good if every estimate were missed by the release being late. I do not have to give many time estimates in my work, but I always over-estimate and usually come in early. If I am going to be late, I contact my patient with an update.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3908 Posts
  • 950 Reply Likes
I think it is silly to think Flex is leaving their development time open ended. It is clear from what they are saying is they are moving away from set firm dates. 
So shifting a month or so is will happen. I don't think knowing the exact release date is so important. But to know what they have planed and are working on is.

Remember, the most important thing is our input as a Flex community. The radio will only be as good as our post here. Many of us over time stumble on things that a bata tester may never find in the time they have. but we,,us,, put the radio through it's paces. How many times have I read here about flaws only found weeks after it's release.

It is much simpler for the big 3 to come out with new radios. They have been making them for how many years now? And they are not software driven, just a simple firmware to make it all work.
But for Flex it is new ground, new tech. And just think, we all have a part in it as it develops.

I can't think of when Icom or any of the other makers had there customers involved with the design and features of there radios. And had and have people who work there take questions from customers and comment daily to keep people informed as to the developments.
Photo of WW1SS - Steve

WW1SS - Steve

• 797 Posts
  • 268 Reply Likes
I think Flex should rethink the way these updates come out. So now it is another month or so wait to get bugs fixed like the display delay in 1.38 that was not there in 1.30. As I said before. get the bugs out and add enhancements. Right now I have a radio with a fancy display on my computer. No properly working NB, ANF, NR. Turn it on and it is distortion. still have issue with it receiving on LSB in USB mode. Did it now twice on me. I paid almost 3,000 for this with the tuner and t is very upsetting to have all these issues. Always hear . . . Its been added to bug tracker. Is anyone working in bug tracker dept???  Now they eliminated firm dates for updates and enhancements. Lets hold our hands on our A%^ and wait. Maybe today, maybe tomorrow. Everything on my Icom worked well.

Just my 2 cents from a frustrated flex user.
Photo of K1UO - Larry

K1UO - Larry

• 881 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes

Steven..if you decide to sell your 6300 send me the details.  Christmas is coming :-)

regards,  K1UO

Michael - OZ1MDF

• 40 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Larry, you might be in luck !
Look what Steve - M3SXA says below ...
He might be giving up his 6500
You would want that over the 6300 any day :-)
Photo of DrTeeth

DrTeeth

• 1687 Posts
  • 389 Reply Likes
I too have minor frustrations. I'll wait until 1.4 is out of the door and then no doubt somebody will start a 'what I'd like to see fixed in 1.5' thread to which I will willingly contribute, hi hi.
Photo of Larry Loen  WO7R

Larry Loen WO7R

• 222 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
I wonder if Flex has considered some sort of Agile structure?  I've had good experiences with it and on the whole, I think the kind of feature incrementalism that now (I presume) is dominating the SmartSDR software could be used to a good end here.

It could allow Flex to square this particular circle.

It would mean building the test suite as they go (esp. unit test) but I hope they are already doing that as it is getting to be increasingly the industry standard for quality software.  I've had particularly happy experiences with the Java version of that (Maven or Eclipse) as it is fully integrated with all compliations and builds.  But nearly all languages now offer some form of this.

The thing with Agile is that even if the features aren't 100 per cent complete in terms of function, there will be, in every two week cycle, a shippable product.  Now, I wouldn't expect them to actually ship every two weeks (for our sake and for support's sake) but the point is, as deadlines loom, there will be something coherent to deal with when the deadline is reached.  They can, for instance, draw a line at some two week boundary or other, and enter final product test if that's what they need to do to deliver on time.  Or, if they get really into it, just decide that a given version at the end of a sprint is ready to go as the integrated testing proves "good enough to ship" (this usually takes some effort over time).  We users may see partial function here and there, but that's actually OK if the quality is there for what _is_ shipped.  In some cases, in fact, the partial function will be all anyone wants!

That kind of solves, in one way, the dilemma between a hard deadline and shipping quality code.  You much more often meet the deadline with quality work.  Even if you miss, you can nearly guarantee delivery two weeks after that.  You've done so by taking the extra time and effort to break implementations into bite sized, deliverable chunks, each with clean delivery criteria, complete with testing, so you can always deliver the rest later.  It also tends to get rid of 'specification-itis' where you write a lot of code (Agile shows you this is so after you've done it a while) you don't actually need and consumers end up not actually wanting.  This gets good code into consumers' hands faster.  It also lets the software coders do what is really being asked for here; adjust to problems as they arise (nobody foresees half of what goes wrong) and still be able to have a coherent product which can almost always be shipped at the end of every sprint or at the end of the sprint that enters some sort of final product test.

It will be harder synching Agile with any new hardware, but as far as "pure software" goes, it seems, after two years of personal industry experience with it, a great way of delivering software.  It takes some getting used to, and we as users may adjust a bit, too, but imagine having a "mostly working" remote experience right now, today, where you don't have everything working but what you do have works very well.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9188 Posts
  • 3550 Reply Likes
Official Response
The answer to your question is contained in the FlexInsider message from Gerald sent out on 28-Oct-2014.  Below is the relevant excerpt from his statement.

"I know that many of you are eagerly awaiting the new features in SmartSDRTM v1.4, which include LAN remote, FM, Memories, integrated FreeDV mode, open Waveform API, DAX enhancements and more. There is so much in this release that it is amazing what our team has accomplished in just ten weeks since v1.3 shipped.  As in previous releases, we are incorporating more features and groundbreaking capabilities (e.g. Waveform API and FreeDV) than were originally promised in the SmartSDR roadmap.

All that new functionality means that there is a lot of testing to do, adjustments to make and new bugs to fix.  Just as we did at the end of the SmartSDR v1.3 cycle, we are going to take more time to incorporate feedback we are receiving from our alpha team. We expect this process to take around a month."
Photo of Steve W6SDM

Steve W6SDM

• 625 Posts
  • 283 Reply Likes
It reminds me of the Target commercial, "Open, open, open!"
Photo of Steve - M3SXA

Steve - M3SXA

• 131 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
I just expect an update when FRS thinks its ready to be released, no pressure... and I liked the way they announced the delay in the previous release (or was it the one before?) just to make sure its ok.....I'm happy :-)
...... though on a personal note I might be selling up and quitting HF but thats another story.... 6500 anyone...
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P

• 4239 Posts
  • 1351 Reply Likes
I wouldn't sell out quite yet.  The 6500 would make a heck of a driver for a multi-transverter vhf/uhf/microwave station.....Though a little 1500 would make a good one, also...
Photo of Steve - M3SXA

Steve - M3SXA

• 131 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Must have missed this message Ken, I still have it though not being used much... been playing with DMR, now there's an Idea for Flex... hi hi  Happy New year to you.
Photo of James Kirk

James Kirk

• 79 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Varies and depends
Photo of DrTeeth

DrTeeth

• 1687 Posts
  • 389 Reply Likes
<FRS> Jim, we're working as fast as we can. The dilithium crystals cannot take much more if this </FRS>.