Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Whats going on at 7030?

Mark WS7M
Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
edited January 2023 in Amateur Radio Interests
I've been seeing this for a while.  It definitely is man made and at times has a pattern to it.  It is possible it is just RFI in my area but it sure seems like some kind of a signal.  Just wondering if it is something I'm not aware of?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7578983/7030.mp4

Answers

• Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Not sure why the video freezes.  Here is another that also freezes but shows a different look:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7578983/Strange7029.mp4

• K3DCW
    K3DCW Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019

An audio recording of that would be more useful than just a video.  Looking at it, it could be just about anything, but hearing it would help us identify it.

However, at first glance, it looks a lot like WINMOR, but I can't be sure without an audio recording.

• Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I'll see if I can get a recording next time it shows up.  It sounds to my ears like 9600 packet.  It has that hiss + a small grating sound that I remember when I used to do 9600 packet on VHF.

I have not used WINMOR but will look it up.  
  • K3DCW
    K3DCW Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017

There are two WINMOR stations on 7030.5kHz (center frequency), one in Australia and one in Philippines: VK3DPW and DX1M respectively. 

Of course, the station working them could be just about anywhere.

It could also be a Pactor station, likely Pactor III or IV. Same stations on the same frequency, plus ZL2ABN in New Zealand.   Finally, KE6NVU is reportedly on 7029 kHz (center frequency) using Pactor III.   Those are the closest stations to that frequency using a mode that appears similar to that in your video. 

As before, a sound file could make it definite.

WINMOR can be downloaded from the WinLink website. Look for the download for RMS Express. Setup for use with the Flex is as for any other program, and I believe that there is even a guide available in the Flex downloads somewhere.

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    If it sounds like packet, it's Winmor.

Pactor sounds like pulsing white noise, but starts out sounding like pulsing RTTY. 
  • Lionel
    Lionel Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    same signal - often found here.  hi speed digital ? from ? image
  • James Lee
    James Lee Member ✭✭

Does anybody have a clue regarding THIS pattern of RFI that I see almost every morning on 40 meters? This is today (1.4.2023) during a traffic net I meet with on 7050. I cannot find anything in my shack that is the source. tnx de NK7B

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

Given the way the frequency wobbles, it looks like a switching power supply for some appliance. Might be neighbors stuff.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.