Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

What order to open DDUtil, SmartCAT, SmartSDR and power up of rig?

Ken - NM9P
Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I have had some trouble, following a crash of my "New" computer. Trying to load these programs on my slightly underpowered laptop, I don't seem to find a recommendation as to the order in which I should open these three programs in order to make them play nicely together with my 6500 and Flex Control Knob. (and logging program, etc) I have crashed my computer a few times when they didn't seem to get sorted out correctly. Other times I can open them, but the Knob is very sluggish or won't run at all. One problem seems to be that two programs are fighting for control of the Flex-Control. Any expert suggestions? Thanks

Answers

• Michael - N5TGL
    Michael - N5TGL Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I don't use DDUtil, but since it's CAT based like HRD that I do use, this should work similarly. 1. Power up rig, wait until it finishes calibrating 2. Launch SmartSDR 3. Launch SmartCat, you should see a window slide in that indicates that it connected to SmartSDR 4. Launch DDUtil and whatever other logging programs you may be using Be aware that for now you have quit/launch SmartCAT every time the rig crashes or SmartSDR crashes/gets closed. If you don't, SmartCAT won't connect back to the rig, I suspect that may be part of your problem.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Ken and Michael, I'm using DDUtil to control the FlexControl knob and I have to follow a different order to make it work correctly. DDUtil has to be running before SmartSDR or SmartSDR will take control of the FlexControl. It is my understanding that there will be a startup option added to SmartSDR to ignore the FlexControl so the startup sequence could change in the future. Here is the sequence that is working for me now. 1 - Power up the rig 2 - Launch SmartCat 3 - Launch DDUtil (it will find and grab control of the FlexControl if you have it configured) 4 - Launch SmartSDR Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    BTW, DDUtil provides the ability to change the tuning rate for the knob, also implements variable tuning rate based on the speed of the knob movement and supports the AUX buttons. For CW, I use the knob for faster movement and the mouse scroll wheel for fine tuning (10HZ per click). I have more notes on my setup posted elsewhere if needed. email at al@nn4zz.com Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    It really doesn't matter if the SmartSDR for Windows client is started before or after SmartSDR CAT, as they are both client services to the radio. DDUtil creates a dynamic client connection to SmartSDR CAT, so I do not think the start order is that critical, but if you are concerned, start DDUtil last.
  • k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    With the current version of DDUtil, 30.306, if you want to have DDUtil provide the interface to the FlexControl, start DDUtil before SSDR, if not, any order will work, as has been mentioned....
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Tim, It does matter if you want to take advantage of the DDUtil Flex control enhancements. You have to start DDUtil after SmartCAT and before SmartSDR. Other wise SmartSDR will grap the FlexControl. At least until SmartSDR adds the configuration option to NOT take control of the FlexControl. This is noted on the DDutil and FlexRadioSmartSDR yahoo forums also. Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    FYI, here is a summary of the information per Steve Nance... On Saturday, August 31, 2013, Steve Nance wrote: To make the Tuning Knob work with DDUtil v3 the following conditions must be met. ** DDUtil v30304 or later must be used. (Al's note -- I'm using 30306 successfully ) ** DDUtil must be started PRIOR to starting SSDR. Else, SSDR will steal the knob port and make it unavailable to DDUtil. SSDR will have a Flex Control disable option in the next release which will help this problem. Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
  • Michael - N5TGL
    Michael - N5TGL Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Ah, I did not know that! I don't use DDUtil, but it seems that I should look in to it. I like the expanded button support concept.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    By experimenting, I also discovered the following helpful when making my initial setup. It makes it easier to program the "Knob." 1) Start with a "clean" slate with no virtual serial ports. 2) plug in the Flex Control Knob and wait until it is recognized by windows 3) Using Windows Control Panel>devices note which serial port the Knob is assigned. It will be important later. 4) Power Up the Flex Radio 5) Open SmartCAT and assign additional Virtual ports as needed. I added about 3 or 4 of both dedicated and shared ports. 6) Close and repoen SmarCAT to make sure the ports get assigned. 7) start DDUtil and assign connections to external software as needed. 8) click the Knob tab in DDUtil and assign the Knob using the port you discovered in Windows Control Panel. (or DDUtil won't know where to find it) 9) Make any adjustments to the Flex Control Knob setup tab in DDUtil (NOTE: Some of them don't work with the Signature radios yet. Some work, but not consistently yet.) 10) Finally, open SmartSDR. After this initial setup procedure, always follow the order... 1) Plug in Knob 2) turn on Flex-6500 3) Start SmartCAT 4) Start DDUtil 5) Start SmartSDR 6) Have fun! This procedure worked for me. I can't swear that it is the only one that works. The problem I was having was that Windows was assigning the Flex Control Knob a port that SmartCAT or DDUtil couldn't find, and it was getting confused. BTW... I am doing this from memory at another location. I may have missed a step
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    In the next version of SmartSDR you will be able to disconnect the FlexControl connection so that you do not need a specific start order to get the FlexControl to be recognized by DDUtil.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Wonderful! Thanks for the good work. With all the things that have been reported and added to the fix list. this is going to be SOME FINE radio!
  • Kirk, K6KAR
    Kirk, K6KAR Member ✭✭
    edited May 2014
    I just checked the file location of SmartSDR v0.13.10 which I have up and running. However, I'm unable to locate the executable for SmartCAT. Is there another location for this program as it isn't showing in this SmartSDR download?
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited March 2017
    Kirk, Did you reference the SmartSDR CAT documentation for the location of the SmartSDR CAT installer? It is explained in there and in the Release Notes. You access it from the Windows Start Menu ->FlexRadio Systems ->SmartSDR vA.B.C folder ->SmartSDR CAT Setup.
  • Kirk, K6KAR
    Kirk, K6KAR Member ✭✭
    edited May 2014
    OK Thanks. I did locate SmartSDR CAT but have encountered the same problem repeatedly. The program starts to load and then stops with the following: "The Installer was interrupted before SmartSDR could b installed. You need to restart the installer to try again." I tried to install three times and get the same message ergo Installation incomplete.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.