What is the maximum tolerable dBm/mW the 6700 can handle before damage?

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
I am contemplating a pixel tech loop antenna on RX A or RX B and wanted to know how much signal in dBm or mW the 6700 can handle safely. The loop comes with an TX isolator relay but I'd prefer not to use it because of the radio's awesome full duplex abilities. The main antenna is a Carolina Windom 40 with the tip of it pointed towards the loop about 8 feet away. The maximum power I'd ever send out the OCF is 500-600W from a KPA500, but most of the time I'm under 100W. I am struggling with HOA limitations and trying to maximize my RX abilities.
Photo of K6OZY

K6OZY, Elmer

• 539 Posts
  • 200 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Graham - KE9H

Graham - KE9H, Employee

• 28 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Official Response
The receiver overload level for the Flex-6500 and 6700 receivers is about +8 dBm, which is about S9+80 dB (for Preamps off, or a gain of 0). Above that, data converter overload occurs, and the receiver function is disrupted. Damage should not occur below +20 dBm, at which time other protection, such as reverse power disconnect relays and voltage clamps kick in.

So, if you design your antenna system so that you never see more than +20 dBm, you should be safe. If you keep the levels below, say 0 dBm, you should be able to still receive.

If the input levels go above +20 dBm, the receiver should still self protect, but this is for accidents and incidents, and I would not want to see a system design that routinely triggered or depended on the emergency protection.

--- Graham / KE9H