Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

What type of Amp are you using??

Answers

• Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Alpha 87A I use for CW and in the winter, Quadra summer amp. Gladly sell both to get a PGXL. Almost got the RF2K but postponed as we moved to a new QTH.
  • mikeatthebeach .
    mikeatthebeach . Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Let the Tubes warm up and glow red For USB CAT control Hi hi 73 Mike
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    6600 with Yaesu Quadra BCD controlled
  • Thomas Nicholson
    edited March 2019
    SPE Expert 2K & yes.
  • Lawrence Gray
    Lawrence Gray Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I am using an Elecraft KPA-500 and an ACOM 600S.  Both are CAT controlled.  I have used the Flex USB ports for control, but found that I like DDUtil.  Either worked fine for CAT control.  Either one is like having 500-600 watt transceiver.

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Me? the old trusty AL-811 Ameritron. Many years.
    I plan to make a PGXL face for my amp,,Lol
  • Phil N3ZP
    Phil N3ZP Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I forgot to note that the KPA500 is not CAT controlled. The amp switches bands almost instantly when I tune my Palstar AT500 manual antenna tuner.
  • jerry stern
    jerry stern Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I am running my Flex 6700 with my Alpha 87a.  The Alpha has an RS-232 output and with an inexpensive RS-232 to USB adapter I can control it with DDUTIL v3.  Very cool as DDUTIL also has a setup tab to limit the Flex RF output automatically if amp is switched in and this can be individually adjusted by band and/or mode.
  • John Swink
    John Swink Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    6600 and SGC SG-500, hard wire PTT and band filters RF sensed.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020

Waiting for the price of Solid State HF amps to come down to a realistic price.

In the mean time I use my workhorse an Ameritron AL-1200 using one of the toughest tubes available, the 3CX1200Z7. 1500W all day long!!!

• Kevin J. Darrah
    Kevin J. Darrah Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Using a modified Ameritron AL 1500 that I converted over too run a pair of 3CX1500A7's... 32 watts produces full legal limit.
  • Tom Carroll
    Tom Carroll Member
    edited March 2019
    Flex 6400 and ALS-600 by Ameritron.
  • Gayle Lawson
    Gayle Lawson Member
    edited March 2019
    I have four amplifiers:Two 30S-1s, SB-221, and a KPA-500 with USB CAT control.  All are keyed via a opto isolator interface.  They are selected via a pair of homebrew 4 into 1 RF switches(relays)  and a  4 into 1 relay switch for the key lines.

Gayle K0FLY
  • NC4AB
    NC4AB Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Running SPE 1.5K-FA, direct USB connection from the 6500 to the SPE.

• Kevin J. Darrah
    Kevin J. Darrah Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Using w/ 6400 Sig Series
  • James Charlton
    James Charlton Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I am using an Ameritron 1306 with a MFJ 998 tuner. The amp is band switched by my Flex 6600m and the tuner tunes when I press the "Tune" button on the radio.  The problem with this setup is I can't see the amp/tuner on my Maestro.   I would like it to be a Power Genius, but the low SWR rating coupled with the lack of a tuner has put me off it.
    Jim  AD0AB 
  • K2KXK
    K2KXK Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    ALS-1306.  Band switching through the USB port on the Flex 6300 works perfectly.  Also using an MFJ 998 tuner which prevents the amp keying until it tunes to an acceptable SWR.  As indicted above, you cannot monitor the amp remotely without some additional gear but that's not a problem for me.  A very cost effective setup imho.
  • Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    Neal Pollack, N6YFM Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    #1.   Elecraft KPA-500
              Band Change:  Fully automatic and transparrent

#2.   Henry 2K Classic floor standing console amp.
              Band Change:    Use Oil-Platform Pipe Wrench

Cheers,

Neal
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Ok, more detail:
    I have a 6700 use Quadra with BCD control (see below), Alpha 87A, M2 2m-1K2, DEMI 2MLDPA, Mirage 215G. The Alpha, Quadra and M2 are in mint condition and will be for sale if I can sell all three, yes I do want to get the PGXL when available.

Antenna Genuis Band Changing Tutorial LAN/BCD/Pin to Port

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited March 2019
    Can either of you share the part number of your cables?

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited March 2019
    You should be done by now!  Call me if you have any questions rather than staring at the board for hours. LOL

• Mike-VA3MW
    edited March 2019
    Does the ARI-500 plug right into our RS232/USB cable?

• John - AI4FR
    John - AI4FR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Same as W1MSG so I'll copy his post which is well said: "Palstar LA-1K RF controlled.".

Before I bought this i was considering the SPE and the KPA's. The PGXL by Flex was also in the running but folks here who pre-ordered them many months ago was still waiting so I choose the Palstar along with their HF-AUTO.

• Mike-VA3MW
    edited March 2019
    Thanks for that... you read my mind.  That is where I was heading.

• Dick B
    Dick B Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I'm using a Tokyo Hy-Power HL-1.5KFX running in Kenwood mode via the Flex USB attach from my 6300.  The rest of my station (IC-756 Pro3, tuner, and coax switch) use CI-V but the THP amp is not a good player on the CI-V bus and causes many issues.  I have to switch the amp to Icom mode when using it with the Pro3.  I also use DDUtil to keep all of this stuff happy and working together.  **** KF5SA
  • Erik SM0JCA
    Erik SM0JCA Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I have a Flex 6400 with Acom 1200S and automatic tuner 04AT. Amp is controlled with a homebrew cable and RS232/USB adapter (must be FTDI chip) plus PTT hardwire. Amp and tuner works seamlessly with 6400.
  • Dick B
    Dick B Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    BTW.  The entire station is fully automatic band-switching using either the 6300 or the Pro3.  
  • Mike KE4U
    Mike KE4U Member
    edited February 2020
    I successfully use an Elecraft KPA500 with CAT.
  • Brian Morgan VK7RR
    Brian Morgan VK7RR Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    THP HL-2KFX. No CAT control as it is not designed for it, but I am modifying it so that I will have CAT control shortly.
  • N4VLK
    N4VLK Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    ALS-1306 with CAT, Heathkit 220 no CAT

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.