What type of Amp are you using??

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
I'm doing a poll on HF Amps 

I would like to know which HF amp you are using and if it is CAT controlled.

Let me know!  

73, Mike va3mw
Photo of Michael Walker

Michael Walker, Technologist

• 725 Posts
  • 205 Reply Likes

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1196 Posts
  • 422 Reply Likes
Michael, are you going to post the poll results at some point?
Photo of Michael Walker

Michael Walker, Employee

• 612 Posts
  • 163 Reply Likes
I wasn't really going to do a tabulation.  I just wanted to know all the types people were using.
Photo of Jimmy Collis

Jimmy Collis

• 50 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Im running an Expert 1.3 on my Flex 6600M 
Photo of Michael Walker

Michael Walker, Employee

• 612 Posts
  • 163 Reply Likes
What I am working on is a document that we can share with new customers

I need to know what is required to automate your amplifier with either our USB/RS232 interface, the USB/BCD interface or the Icom CI-V interface.   If using RS232 what cable did you have to either build or buy to connect from the Flex RS232 port to your amp.

I am also interested in some of the older amps and if a Keybuffer is 100% required on a stock amp (no after market softkeying kit).  As an example, all Heathkits and Henry's require a keying buffer as does the TL-922.

I am not sure about Collins and some Alpha manuals don't even have the keying voltage specified, so that needs to be measured with a Mulit-Meter.

I have a list of 49 different amps that I am working on a lookup table with.  

If you go back and add to your entry then it makes me easy to cross reference and even easier for me to ask some questions.    If you have made entries in the TXD settings, that is good to know as well, but it would make sense to run a default of 20ms.

If your amp ONLY follows band data via  a PC program and not RS232 that would help as well.

Personally, I can deal with the PGXL, KPA 500 and the B26.  

I really appreciate your help. 

Mike

Photo of Chip Swett

Chip Swett

• 27 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
For my SPE IK-FA, I use the excellent cable from Dan KC5PCB. Plug and Play.
Photo of Mark WS7M

Mark WS7M

• 470 Posts
  • 134 Reply Likes
Mike, I guess one reason I was asking was to see about popular models that could use some support in FlexLogger.

Some day I hope to integrate the PGXL into the fold as soon as someone gives me one they don't want!  

<grin>
Photo of Dave - W6OVP

Dave - W6OVP

• 244 Posts
  • 73 Reply Likes
>What I am working on is a document that we can share with new customers

How about sharing it with the OLD customers who gave you the information and helped you with the project?

Photo of Michael Walker

Michael Walker, Employee

• 612 Posts
  • 163 Reply Likes
That is the plan.  It would be added to our knowledge base.
Photo of Geoff - AB6BT

Geoff - AB6BT

• 98 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Still using my Drake L-4B
Photo of Gene Duprey

Gene Duprey

• 65 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Hi Mike,

I am using the Collins 30L-1 amplifier, an isolation circuit is required, as there is -170V on the keying line.  I use the Ameritron ARB 704 unit to isolate the Flex 6500 from the 30L-1 keying circuit.  Works very well.

Gene, K1GD
Photo of K9SO

K9SO

• 87 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
I have two Ameritron AL-1306's, one PGXL, and one Yaesu Quadra. The 1306s and the Quadra all use the same "ABCD" type band control. One station is in NC (6500), the other in Wisconsin (6600). The 1306's have performed flawlessly and I bought one of them to replace the Quadra which had multiple reliability issues.

One 1306 is still in operation in NC, the other was just retired and replaced with my new LAN-connected Flex PGXL in Wisconsin (eliminating the need for any ABCD band control interface). 

I also use SainSmart USB Eight Channel Relay Board for Automation (e.g., antenna switching) for other relay control. It interfaces directly with the FlexRadios via the USB port. 
(Edited)
Photo of Tom - WQ5O

Tom - WQ5O

• 39 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I'm running a Flex 6600M into an SPE 1.5KFA amp that I purchased from Expert Linears.  I have it connected to the radio via the cable suggested by Bob Hardie/W5UQ that Dan/KC5PDB made.  Works exactly as advertised.  Originally I had purchased an ACOM 1200 with the antenna tuner from DXEngineering.  That amp didn't last a month and I could never get it to work correctly.  The tuner never worked as advertised either.  The amp completely died and I was unable to get it to do anything.  DXE took it back and gave me a full refund. They were very good about it and I got no push back.  DXE is an excellent company that values its customers.  I will continue to buy hardware from them.  The SPE 1.5KFA is excellent.  Took a little to figure it out but it's great.  Due to my current coax situation I'm unable to run it at the legal limit but I find that busting pileups can be done with way less than 1.5KW.  Love my Flex 6600M and my SPE 1.5KFA amp!  Great products.   Thanks, Flex, for such a fine product.  Keep the upgrades coming!  73.
Photo of K5XH

K5XH

• 17 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Henry 2K and a Heathkit SB200. Manual control with isolation relays. Waiting on PGXL.

Mark K5XH
Photo of K9SO

K9SO

• 87 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Mike, I'm sure you already know this but the Yaesu "ABCD" output is simply BCD and the BIT cable can be configured to output BCD. However, the BIT cable logic outputs are 3.3v logic (not standard "old" TTL) and the inputs to both the YAESU Quadra and the Ameritron 1306 are 5v 7000 TTL.

This was an initial concern.

But by specification, the BIT cable outputs are 5v TTL tolerant and both the Quadra and 1306 TTL inputs recognize 3.3v as within the logical "1" range, albeit with reduced noise immunity. I and others have had 100% success just plugging the output of the BIT cable (set to BCD) directly to the inputs of the amplifiers without level converters. 

Fred
K9SO
(Edited)
Photo of kj4nkn

kj4nkn

• 5 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Acom 1010  (new style) - manual. Used with 6400m
Photo of AC9S

AC9S

• 69 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Here is a link from the Alpha site with specs on all their amps.  Looks like it includes all the legacy.

http://www.alpharfsystems.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Amp_Keying_Specs.pdf

Keith - AC9S
Photo of AC9S

AC9S

• 69 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Here is a link from the Alpha site with specs on all their amps.  Looks like it includes all the legacy.

http://www.alpharfsystems.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Amp_Keying_Specs.pdf

Keith - AC9S
Photo of Roger J. Buffington

Roger J. Buffington

• 178 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
Tokyo Hy-Power K1.2 (About 700 watts).  If it ever goes South will probably get the Elecraft 500 watt solid state amp.

de Roger W6VZV
Photo of Jay Adrick

Jay Adrick

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
SPE 2K-KA controlled via USB on my 6700  and Alpha 9500 controlled via USB on my 6600